Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahjiu Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Theft under 5000. First offence?
    Hi, I see that there are many questions with the same topic... but I haven't seen anyone with the same situation as I do... so here's my question...

I was caught by undercover security while shoplifting at walmart with a friend of mine. The total of the things came to around $50... the police came.. and we both got a Form 9( blue ticket with a court date and a date for fingerprint) I'm 20... and my friend is 18.. and we got a 1year ban from walmart
    However this is not really the first time I've been caught... I was caught for shoplifting about 1year ago at shoppers.. but I got off with a yellow ticket for "trespassing" and a fine of $75...

And for my friend... she's 18... with a clean record... no tickets and convictions of anything in the past... is she going to be okay?

So some of my questions are...
    1: would I end up with a criminal record?
    2: should I get a lawyer?
    3: if I have previously been in trouble with the law over other matters... is it going to affect me?
    4: is it true that... wal-mart could bring up security camera captured video against me? Because... honestly... I've stolen from wal-mart and gotten away with it before... I think this is why they got an undercover security on me this time...

Thanks for anyone that might be able to help me out...

** another question...

I've heard that there's a new "law" that came out... something about not putting charges on shoplifting under $100... @ walmart..? I'm not too sure on the whole deal... but would anyone have any additional info on that?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Yes you will have a criminal record if you are found guilty or plead guilty

You always have the right to have an attorney

Yes when it comes to your sentence, prior criminal activity can effect the punishment you get

Yes walmart can show security camera video in court against you if they need to or have it. ( actually them catching you with the goods on you is all they really need) But prior actions of stealing can not be sued for this case, only evidence about this crime only. ( except maybe in the sentencing stage to show a pattern of this behavior.)

Apr 21, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Thanks for your answer...

Apr 30, 2007, 08:56 PM
    Is there anyone else that might be able to give me some advice?

May 9, 2007, 07:54 PM
    I'm sorry to up this post... but my court date is coming up...
    Any other piece of advice??

Would I get jailtime for this? Because I'm too poor to hire a lawyer... so I'm just going to show up to the court date on my own...
    Does anyone have any tips on what I should say..
    I would plead guilty... but I just want to be prepared for what might happen...

Thanks a lot...
    keljai Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 11:46 PM
    l'm not sure but l was just wondering if you can say what happen to your friend after. Thanks greatly appreceated

Aug 4, 2007, 02:19 AM
    Oh... um.. an update on the whole matter...
    Well... I got away with doing 30hrs of community service... n then charges withdrawn...
    And my frd just got away with it all.. because she had nothing on her..
    sxe_van Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Hi ahjiu.. your case is interesting to me since I got caught shoplifting at walmart today.. I have a court date set but I was just curious.. did they have security tapes? I have received a year ban already from walmart and the cop said he would recommend an alternative to the crown because it was my first offence. My stolen stuff was about $75. Do you have any suggestions?

Sep 8, 2007, 01:43 AM
    Well... this is only what happened to me...
    But I think u'll be okay... just go to the court date... see the duty counsel... see what they say... and then go from there...
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

Sep 11, 2007, 05:48 PM
    My daughter got caught stealing at k- mart 50.00 or less some makup,
    She has to go to a behavior class and then back to court.
    Also K-mart has their own law firm suing for 500.00 now its up to 800.00
    And it can go up to 1,0000 if it is not paid.
    They will either drop it or take us to court for it.
    We do not intend on paying it so hopefully it won't be worth the cost for them to take it
    To court.
    ringoffire Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2009, 07:27 AM
    Can an unrelated law suit use or subpoena store videos / pictures from a trespassing charge?
    vjachi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2010, 07:26 PM
    About a month ago I got caught stealing at Shoppers Drug Mart. It was only 70$ worth of things and I was caught by an undercover investigator. This was my first time getting caught doing anything against the law and about a month and a week later I got a letter from Shoppers stating I owe 500$. At the scene when it happened, the cops said since I am under 18 and it is my first offence I will be let go with no charges but if it happens again I will have to go to court and I will be charged. Was Shoppers legally allowed to send me this letter after the cops themselves told me I will not be charged? What do I do?
    mattyboy2282 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2010, 02:39 PM
    I'm 13 and I was with my friend who picked up a $30 dollar bluetooth and jammed it in my backpack and I never knew it
    So when I walked out the security took me and I got the blame of course
    So now I have a court date December 2nd of this year
    It counts as a first offense and now I'm banned from that store nationwide for life

1. Am I going to go to a juvenile center?
    2. am I going to get sewed?
    3. are there options for community service?
    4. if not then what can community service consist of?
    *** answer
    mattyboy2282 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2010, 02:41 PM
    I'm 13 and I was with my friend who picked up a $30 dollar bluetooth and jammed it in my backpack and I never knew it
    So when I walked out the security took me and I got the blame of course
    So now I have a court date December 2nd of this year
    It counts as a first offense and now I'm banned from that store nationwide for life

1. Am I going to go to a juvenile center?
    2. am I going to get sewed?
    3. are there options for community service?
    4. if not then what can community service consist of?
    *** answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000.00 first time offence [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently questioned about the disappearance of thousands of dollars and 2500 tshirts being stolen from my former place of employment. I have no knowledge on this matter and highly doubt it even occurred. What I believe is the owner is trying to avoid paying their supplier for product...

Theft over $5000 [ 7 Answers ]

Just wondering what the minimum sentence for theft over $5000 is. Thanks.

B.C. Theft Under 5000$ help [ 7 Answers ]

Well.. Im 15, and I live in British Columbia, and I was in a local store with my friend... I knew he was going to steal something because he told me... Anyway someone from the staff told on him to the manager when I was hanging out with him. And now IM facing having to go to court to... ...

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

Theft under 5000 - What to do? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 21 years old living in Ontario. I have recently been caught shoplifting in a Loblaws chainstore. The value of what I took was only about $20. Their Loss Prevention Employee placed me under arrest and issued a notice that they might take action to have compensation for losses and if I don't...

View more questions Search