Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2022, 10:43 AM
    Needed: New Contract with America
    The Republicans need a new "Contract with America". Gingrich and the Repubs rode that to victory in the Congress in 94 by gaining about 50 House seats and 9 in the Senate. As a result, we got balanced budgets and welfare reform. This was the contract.

On the first day of their majority in the House, the Republicans promised to bring up for vote, eight major reforms:
    1. require all laws that apply to the rest of the country also apply to Congress;
    2. select a major, independent auditing firm to conduct a comprehensive audit of Congress for waste, fraud or abuse;
    3. cut the number of House committees, and cut committee staff by one-third;
    4. limit the terms of all committee chairs;
    5. ban the casting of proxy votes in committee;
    6. require committee meetings to be open to the public;
    7. require a three-fifths majority vote to pass a tax increase;
    8. guarantee an honest accounting of the Federal Budget by implementing zero base-line budgeting.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2022, 05:13 AM
    It was a good election year ploy to gain control of the House. The Senate resisted and /or stalled most of the contract . Bubba signed on to the 2 provisions you mentioned when he realized he could get political advantages from the triangulation. More probably should have happened More probably would have if the House did not become obsessed with impeachment .

The Congress eventually had contract members move on . The congress quickly reverted back to control by swamp land professional politicians ....including many of the Newt House recruits .In less than a decade Repubs had abandoned their commitment to liberty and limited government, with a big assist from the Repub President .

Big government Repubs are only better than big government Dems by a degree. The contest becomes which ones can better manage the leviathan .What is needed is St Georges willing to slay the leviathan.

Fast forward to this year
    Who in Repub leadership is ready and willing to step up to the plate ? Not Yertle. He has already announced that there is no legislative agenda for Repubs to run on. He says he'd rather focus on the Dems failed agenda. He thinks publishing such an agenda takes focus off the Dems agenda. He believes that the focus should be on the incumbent's weakness. I don't believe he is correct. Clueless stumbles and fumbles . But recently the terrible policies of the Dems are slowly being enacted by legislation or executive fiat ........and unbelievably his popularity is growing .

Kevin McCarthy in the House is a Newt contract guy . To his credit he has published agendas that could be considered "contract" commitments .

Leader McCarthy's Daily Caller Op-Ed: "Parents Bill of Rights Will Empower Families" - House Republican Leader

He has also formed task forces to hone policy .

McCarthy Unveils Republican Task Forces, Announces Leaders and Members - House Republican Leader

There are so many needs to address in a new contract that I could not possibly list all of them

Support police ;school choice ,election security ,protect ALL rights in the Bill of Rights especially the 1st amendment which is under attack from multiple fronts; end the illegal border infiltrations .

End all draconian covid restrictions ;
    Sunset clauses on all legislation.
    Take a meat cleaver to the Federal Bureaucracy .Subject the whole thing to an independent audit to eliminate unconstitutional code and even whole agencies . Consolidate the rest .
    Simplify the tax code so anyone can fill out the form without the use of accountants and tax attorneys . energy independance that includes an all of the above solution.
    Unleash business from costly unnecessary regulation.

I've only scratched the surface and only domestic. There are many more like rebuild the military ;end costly unnecessary foreign commitments
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2022, 05:53 AM
    Support police
    school choice
    election security
    protect ALL rights in the Bill of Rights especially the 1st amendment which is under attack from multiple fronts
    end the illegal border infiltrations
    End all draconian covid restrictions ;
    Sunset clauses on all legislation.
    Take a meat cleaver to the Federal Bureaucracy .Subject the whole thing to an independent audit to eliminate unconstitutional code and even whole agencies . Consolidate the rest .
    Simplify the tax code so anyone can fill out the form without the use of accountants and tax attorneys
    energy independence that includes an all of the above solution.
    Unleash business from costly unnecessary regulation.
    Too many. It makes it too easy to get lost in the weeds. I would go with these.

1. Achieve a balanced budget in 4 years.
    2. Reduce federal spending by at least 3% a year for four years. That would include both welfare and defense. (This would include "Take a meat cleaver to the Federal Bureaucracy .Subject the whole thing to an independent audit to eliminate unconstitutional code and even whole agencies . Consolidate the rest .")
    3. Secure the southern border with a wall.
    4. Regain energy independence.
    5. Simplify the tax code by adopting a two-tiered flat tax.
    6. Secure federal elections.
    7. Provide federal support for nuclear power.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2022, 06:04 AM
    For the most part the elected Repubs don't seriously believe most of that . Newt brought in people outside the swamp.

Anyway it is too late to run on a unified message this cycle .

If they craft one for 2024 I would certainly consider the merits .
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2022, 06:05 AM
    For the most part the elected Repubs don't seriously believe most of that .
    Sadly true.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contract for deed input needed? [ 3 Answers ]

Father inlaw has house is going to walk away from offered to my wife on a cod being she is his daughter found out she is excempt from the "due on sale" clause my question is how to set up the contract because he does not want to collect any extra money on this deal so no interest paid to him just...

Cleaning needed contract? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, we just start a cleaning business in northampton, including carpet cleaning, we have a name,a registred company ltd, business cards, professional carpet cleaning macine and products,we already did some door to door business card handing out but we had no success, don't know how can we get...

Bike made deposit and signed contract can seller get out of contract? [ 6 Answers ]

I Looked at a bike I saw on craigslist, liked it and made a deposit of 100 dollars after I agreed with the owner to pay the balance of over 3000 dollars if the bike passes inspection. I believe the bike passed inspection, although told otherwise by owner, he had re listed the bike on craigslist for...

Bidding new construction cleaning jobs. Is a contract needed? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. We have a cleaning business that does homes and apartments and would like to branch out to new construction cleaning and perhaps small commercial buildings of one or two floors. I'd like to know if anyone has any advice on bidding these jobs (per square foot?) and if a contract is needed. ...

Upon death of a seller in a real estate contract, how to get a buyer out of contract [ 23 Answers ]

In the state of Missouri, a seller in the middle of a sales contract died. The closing time is not yet lapsed and all the contingencies on the buyer side is fulfilled. There is will in place and an executor named for the estate already. The son (named executor) can not legally sign for the deceased...

View more questions Search