Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anthonyfallone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2022, 10:29 AM
    What is meant by "Anger is relative?"
    Here is the context from the book I am reading:
    Character A: Watch your temper.
    Character B: Anger is relative. Others are mad enough to kill, but not I.
    What exactly does character B mean by "Anger is relative?" It sounds incomplete. I know the word "relative" means "in comparison to," but obviously the character doesn't state what exactly anger is relative to.
    RandomPerson36 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Aug 25, 2022, 04:20 PM
    I think character B is saying anger is relative from person to person, similar to how most emotions are difficult to objectively compare across a group of people. For example, say you replace the word "anger" with "age" as in "age is relative." A child may think their parents, who are in their 30s or 40s, are "old," while an elderly person in their 70s or 80s may view the couple as "not old at all." The definition of the word "old" changes based on one's experiences and perspectives in life, hence making the concept relative.

Going back to the context of the book you're reading, I think character B is saying that "the threshold at which one's anger becomes intense enough for them to kill varies from person to person," and since character A mentioned temper, then perhaps the comparison can be that a short-tempered person may be more prone to commit murder than a person with more patience/self-control. Basically, character B is saying that what may make others prone to kill will not cause the same reaction from him/her. The intensity of the anger others feel during a situation compared to the anger character B feels will lead to different reactions because people's tempers are different.

Sorry this reply is really wordy, I hope it's understandable and helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"If you love someone, let them go. If they come back, it's meant to be". How true? [ 2 Answers ]

I always have a feeling I'll end up bumping into my ex again even after having blocked him off all social media. Is it true that if it is meant to be, it will be without me doing anything?

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

View more questions Search