Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbrown80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2022, 03:04 PM
    Loud hollow drain sound
    We just replaced a toilet in our home. Now when any toilet in the home is flushed, we hear a very loud hollow draining sound coming from under the new toilet. What would cause this noise? I am thinking the wax seal failed as soon as I set the toilet on it, but there is no evidence of moisture around the base of the toilet.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2022, 06:25 AM
    Does the noise stop once the toilet is finished draining, or does it continue for a moment afterwards? If it continues, then the fill valve could be the problem. Otherwise, make sure your vent is clear. If so, then reseat with a new wax seal.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 17, 2022, 03:31 PM
    Hi guys,

Because you hear the problem after ANY toilet is flushed in the house then it sure sounds like the wax gasket has failed at the new install.

If you are the gardening type and you happen to have some peppermint oil (or similar potent oil) handy you could mix up a batch of peppermint oil and water and flush it down the toilet farthest from the new toilet. If you smell peppermint oil in the bathroom with the new toilet (say in 5 minutes after flushed) then the wax gasket has definitely failed and will need to be replaced.

Note: The person that mixes the peppermint oil and flushes it down the farthest toilet should not go anywhere near the bathroom being tested as they could contaminate the bathroom and confuse results.

Finally, if all that sounds like a lot of work, just replace the old gasket...quick and simple!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace start up is loud - swooshing sound and motor is loud while on [ 2 Answers ]

When the furnace starts up it makes a large swoosh sound and is very loud while it it on. Seems to be heating fine and shuts off fine. How can I fix this problem?

Toilet hollow sound when flushing [ 1 Answers ]

Hear a hollow sound when the toilet is flushed like water going into cave. Any ideas on why and how to repair? Thanks.

Hollow drain sound [ 5 Answers ]

When toilet is flushed, tub drain sounds like there is draining in to a hollow barrel.

When toilet flushed I get loud girgling sound through shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

When ever I flush my toilet in my bedroom there is a girgling noise heard through the shower drain,this started happening about 2 months ago.I tried drain cleaner in toilet and shower but didn't make any better at all,I think I have a plumbing vent problem.

Loud Clunking Sound [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Amana Gas-fired Clothes Dryer that is making a VERY loud clunking sound. This just started a few weeks ago. What could this be? Thanks, Mary

View more questions Search