Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2022, 12:50 PM
    Hmm. It WOULD be SFS, wouldn't it? How did I miss that? Well, leave it to a retired librarian to catch that. Well done.

The best acronym would be SBFIC.

I'm still plowing through the book on Luther. I'm in the good post-Wittenberg part.

Walter, I hope you keep posting. And while you post, I hope you will read our responses more carefully and thoughtfully. I think you sometimes respond to what you think we are going to say, and what others have said to you, as opposed to what is actually said here.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 22, 2022, 12:59 PM
    I'm a long-time proofreader and editor too. Do not mess with me!

And Luther and I share a birthday (but different year).
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2022, 01:27 PM
    And Luther and I share a birthday (but different year).
    His was after yours??? (<;
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 22, 2022, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    His was after yours??? (<;
    Yes, but different centuries.
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2022, 02:47 PM
    CENTURIES after!! Wow. You are a living wonder.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Aug 22, 2022, 02:58 PM
    If you find a particular part in the [greek] NT that you find confusing. Then maybe it would be a good idea to open it up for discussion while accepting the whole. It is important in these matters that we should start with the Whole, and not with certain parts.

The main theme on this site - raise some particular points and there's our discussing the scripture, we find ourselves spending the whole of our time upon some detail.

I am convinced there is an underlying reason why this question was brought up using the greek. It's become more a question of the "Authority of the Bible" than was originally (Who has Authority.") posted...ultimate "Authority" is man himself. Man's reason. It is what I decide to believe and what I decide to reject.

@DW, You might be focusing on a particular (Greek/Hebrew), and missing the whole. There is no such distinction drawn in the bible itself. The Bible comes to us and offers itself as a whole...Man Is ill-equipped to understand the Bible.

Walter, I hope you keep posting. And while you post, I hope you will read our responses more carefully and thoughtfully. I think you sometimes respond to what you think we are going to say, and what others have said to you, as opposed to what is actually said here.
    I get the question that DW has posted here. Simply put; I have never come across, "todays greek reading," regarding a Bible passage before...It's presented (NT or greek?) as a particular. I have to ask myself why.

Here you come at it as if there is nothing to it. I'm telling you there is. There is to me, and there is to DW (Unbeknownst to him). Just look at some of his responses. Later I mentioned that we (as Christians) should take the Bible as a whole...It's not put to us in part. You say the new NT is the Bible, I agree. You agreed, that the Greek refers only to the NT...therefore not being the whole!

The Bible is the Bible until it's not!
    Pick a stranger reading his "Bible." It's a Bible, Right? Pick it up and open it. Whoop! there you have it, the Book of Mormon!!! And there is the Jews, you have the Jehovah's witnesses, We have WG...

As I said, searching Scripture -- in ANY language -- has nothing to do with a formal study of that country's philosophy.
    The whole purpose of language is to communicate meaning about the world around us.
    Language in the Bible is more non-verbal than it is verbal...It communicates an entirely different universe around us.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 22, 2022, 03:27 PM
    What do you mean by starting with the "Whole"?

Aug 22, 2022, 03:40 PM
    What do you mean by starting with the "Whole"?
    It has to do with this
    "Authority of the Bible"
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2022, 03:45 PM
    I get the question that DW has posted here. Simply put; I have never come across, "todays greek reading," regarding a Bible passage before...It's presented (NT or greek?) as a particular. I have to ask myself why.
    No, you don't. You just need to read the answer that has already been posted.

Pick a stranger reading his "Bible." It's a Bible, Right? Pick it up and open it. Whoop! there you have it, the Book of Mormon!!! And there is the Jews, you have the Jehovah's witnesses, We have WG...
    Except that it's not been an issue here. Just with your "strangers". While I frequently disagree with WG, she is not appealing to a book other than the Bible.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 22, 2022, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by waltero View Post

Mormons read the Bible (but the Book of Mormon comes first). Witnesses read the Bible but understand many teachings in a different way. WG has been part of a major conservative Christian denomination, as both student and teacher, most of her life.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2022, 05:42 PM
    I don't know how many times I've heard; that's the old testament, we don't go by the old testament anymore! That is the Old Testament, that's an allegory, That doesn't apply, etc.

Not from me or anyone else here, you haven't. I repeat: You pulled all of this out of your own head.

The "Greek" IS the Bible -
    it's more the Bible than your English version
    Here's the question: is this quote from DW an anachronism? In other words, If DW is right, where does that leave us?
    I don't understand the question.

jlisenbe, this thing is being weird. You asked about Fee's book. Here's the reply I tried to give.

It's a good resource. A little dated now, but still useful. I have a lot of respect for Gordon Fee.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2022, 05:54 PM
    I am convinced there is an underlying reason why this question was brought up using the greek.
    Yes. It's because that's what I was reading. No other reason, so please get off that kick.

I have never come across, "todays greek reading," regarding a Bible passage before
    And maybe if you had asked me what I meant by that, you might have learned that I keep my Greek New Testament handy in a certain very useful room, and when I need to spend time in that room, I pick up my Greek New Testament and read some of it. Since my trips to that room tend to be as regular as an atomic clock, I do some reading every day. Hence, "today's Greek reading."

ASK, dude. This is called "Ask Me Help Desk" so try asking more and assuming less.

@DW, You might be focusing on a particular (Greek/Hebrew), and missing the whole. There is no such distinction drawn in the bible itself. The Bible comes to us and offers itself as a whole.
    Tell me you don't know the history of the Bible without telling me you don't know the history of the Bible. What Bible did Jesus use? Paul? James? Peter? How did the New Testament come to us? Until you know the answers to these questions thoroughly, you don't get to try and lecture me.

Mormons read the Bible (but the Book of Mormon comes first). Witnesses read the Bible but understand many teachings in a different way. WG has been part of a major conservative Christian denomination, as both student and teacher, most of her life.
    Both groups also made their own translations that are skewed to support their particular doctrines.
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2022, 06:11 PM
    Both groups also made their own translations that are skewed to support their particular doctrines.
    Very true. The New World Translation for the JW's is really slanted.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2022, 06:21 PM
    If you find a particular part in the [greek] NT that you find confusing. Then maybe it would be a good idea to open it up for discussion while accepting the whole. It is important in these matters that we should start with the Whole, and not with certain parts.
    That doesn't make sense. If I find a particular part confusing, why wouldn't I start with that part? I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Aug 22, 2022, 07:44 PM
    No, you don't. You just need to read the answer that has already been posted.
    Exactly. I don't need to read the Answer (and where do I find that?) that some of you might have posted. The [true] Answer doesn't come to me by way of the NT or Greek, or from this thread.

Here we come full circle;

We go from this.
    "Wait. WHO is in charge??"
    perplexed by:
    Today's Greek reading
    understanding it to be:
    Are you referring to the process of organizing thoughts and ideas within some established framework
    in light of:
    puts a very different spin on things
    bringing us back to:
    "who is the actual authority"
    conclusion:
    "I never said it was "The Bible" or any of the rest."
    This entire thread comes full circle; Authority of the Bible. I have to wonder why nobody wants to touch on this subject. You keep diverting (as always) from the subject matter?

The "Greek" IS the Bible -
    it's more the Bible than your English version
    Here's the question: is this quote from DW an anachronism? In other words, If DW is right, where does that leave us?
    I don't understand the question.
    If greek (something belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists) is the Bible and We don't understand Greek, where does that put us? One of us is right, we can't both be right.

Sure, you're welcome to interject greek into the OT (making it the whole Bible) as well...doesn't prevent the fact that man (no matter what language) is still ill-equipped to understand the Bible? Too many Christians think the Bible can be argued, making a believer, or feel they need defend the Bible...doesn't work that way.

The whole purpose of language is to communicate meaning about the world around us. A person doesn't come to know Truth or faith by reading the Bible in Greek, any more than those who haven't read the Bible at all.

The whole purpose of language is to communicate meaning about the world around us. A person doesn't come to know Truth or faith, by reading the Bible in Greek or otherwise, any more than those who haven't read the Bible at all.
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2022, 08:01 PM
    This entire thread comes full circle; Authority of the Bible.
    The Bible is completely sufficient as the ultimate authority for a Christian in all matters of faith and practice.

If greek (something belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists) is the Bible and We don't understand Greek, where does that put us?
    Already answered in post 239. It's why I say it would be helpful if you would start carefully reading the responses we are giving you. We are in the glorious position of having quite a number of exceptionally well translated English versions of the Bible, a position which has existed since the 1611 translation of the King James Bible and, to be accurate, even a few decades prior to that date.

jlisenbe, this thing is being weird. You asked about Fee's book. Here's the reply I tried to give.
    It's a good resource. A little dated now, but still useful. I have a lot of respect for Gordon Fee.
    I've enjoyed it so far. I heard him preach a few times in Bible College. He's a very thoughtful person.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 22, 2022, 08:14 PM
    If greek (something belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists) is the Bible and We don't understand Greek, where does that put us? One of us is right, we can't both be right.
    Greek is a language. The New Testament was originally written in Greek. People learn the Greek language so they can read the NT as it was first written.

I Corinthians 13:4 in Greek:

καὶ γὰρ εἴ ἐσταυρώθη ἐξ ἀσθενείας ἀλλὰ ζῇ ἐκ δυνάμεως θεοῦ καὶ γὰρ ἡμεῖς ἀσθενοῦμεν ἐν αὐτῷ ἀλλὰ ζήσομεθα σὺν αὐτῷ ἐκ δυνάμεως θεοῦ εἰς ὑμᾶς
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2022, 08:18 PM
    Too many Christians think the Bible can be argued, making a believer, or feel they need defend the Bible...doesn't work that way.
    But that's exactly what you're doing.

Aug 22, 2022, 08:29 PM
    @JL, maybe if you were to read my posts as a whole and not dissect and try to pick apart. You mentioned earlier; "does that mean that Greek philosophy or western Phyisoephy influences our perception of the Bible? Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.
    But that's exactly what you're doing
    I'm trying to learn. I am not arguing. You've already learned your truth. You have no idea what I'm talking about. So why would you assume I am arguing the Bible? It is all, you baby!

The Bible is completely sufficient as the ultimate authority for a Christian in all matters of faith and practice.
    that explains nothing. You still get to decide what you believe...in the way that you believe.
    That doesn't make sense. If I find a particular part confusing, why wouldn't I start with that part? I have no idea what you are trying to say.
    I'm still trying to understand it myself. It's late. I will make an attempt later. The fact of the matter is, that you already knew the Answer to your Question, before asking it. It has everything to do with your original question = Authority. The Authority of the Bible.
    If you don't read the NT, where does the "[true] Answer" come from?
    well it comes from the Greek don't yah know ;-P

Night.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 22, 2022, 08:30 PM
    Exactly. I don't need to read the Answer (and where do I find that?) that some of you might have posted. The [true] Answer doesn't come to me by way of the NT or Greek, or from this thread.
    If you don't read the NT, where does the "[true] Answer" come from?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I charge my phone before I use it or use it until the battery dies then charge it [ 6 Answers ]

I have aslways had an issue with my new phones, the battery life s always so much less compared to the specification set out by the manufacture. So I need to know, "do i charge my phone before i use it or use it untill the battery dies then charge it"?

Should I charge a fix rate or charge by the square ft to paint a house exterior. [ 1 Answers ]

Should I charge a fix rate or charge by the square foot to paint the exterior of a home around 2000 square feet?

Mom won't let me date. I need to wait until college? Should I ask HIM to wait? [ 3 Answers ]

Sooo. My mom won't let me date. Period. Its for religious perposes but I don't feel the same way she does. I always find a guy I like and then she ruins it. I had a pretty serious relationship last year. We hid it from my mom for over a year but complications with distance and my mom ultimately...

To wait or not to wait, *confused* [ 15 Answers ]

Greetings. I hope to get some feedback and advice on the following situation. I met this girl through my room mate's brother over the summer. This girl was his rebound after he's GF left him. As the summer progressed, my room mate's brother got back with his ex after she wanting him back. ...

View more questions Search