Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2022, 04:00 PM
    You are being evasive. You are describing pure free will, but you know that is not the question. So again, how can mankind be bound/subject to sin and yet have free will? For one to be true, the other cannot be true.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 8, 2022, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    You are being evasive. You are describing pure free will, but you know that is not the question. So again, how can mankind be bound/subject to sin and yet have free will? For one to be true, the other cannot be true.
    Evasive? Any one of us can make the choice to do a bad thing or make the choice to do a good thing. Each of us has done bad things AND good things today.
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2022, 04:53 PM
    So again, how can mankind be bound/subject to sin and yet have free will? For one to be true, the other cannot be true.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 8, 2022, 05:36 PM
    So again, how can mankind be bound/subject to sin and yet have free will? For one to be true, the other cannot be true.
    We are all bound by sin, the condition called sin; we are subject to sinful actions, temptations to do wrong things. We have the inclination, a choice, free will, to do a sin, a bad thing. Or we can do good.

I just realized. You don't like the word "bound". You think if sin binds us, we are powerless to do good actions. How about: our free will allows us to do good things but too often is restricted by sin so that we also do bad things.
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2022, 07:53 PM
    You are still trying to have your cake and eat it, too. After starting with, "We are all bound by sin, the condition called sin; we are subject to sinful actions, " you then continue with, "temptations to do wrong things. We have the inclination, a choice, free will, to do a sin, a bad thing. Or we can do good." To be "bound" and "subject to" is not the same as merely being tempted or having an inclination.

Even worse is to suggest that being "restricted by sin" causes us to, "also do bad things." So you finally reach a conclusion that we do not, in fact, really have free will since, being restricted by sin, we therefore do bad things. Very interesting!!

You earlier stated, "You (JL) are thinking of sin as the condition. I am writing about it as an act." But now you say, "We are all bound by sin, the condition called sin." You need to make your mind up.

You think if sin binds us, we are powerless to do good actions.
    I have suggested no such thing. These are your utterly contradictory ideas we are discussing.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 8, 2022, 08:17 PM
    Do you do bad things each day?

Do you do good things each day?
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2022, 04:26 AM
    Yes and yes.

Now are you able to explain your plainly contradictory ideas? Evidently, no. This has become tiresome. If you can offer up an explanation, then we can discuss it. Until then, you are left with the utterly nonsensical position of trying to say people are bound by and subject to sin, and yet those same people have free will. I suspect you are trying to land somewhere in the middle, saying that we exercise free will when we can, from time to time, break free from our bondage to sin, your position thus being one of "occasional (transitory) free will".
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2022, 08:39 AM
    1. You have the free will to always do good things. Why don't you do good things all the time?

2. You have the free will to always do bad things. Why don't you do bad things all the time?
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2022, 10:52 AM
    You cannot defend your nonsensical position by asking questions. Put your mind to work. Explain how a person bound to and subject to sin can, in any sense, have genuine free will.

You have the free will to always do good things.
    So you say. That's what I'm asking you to defend. You plainly cannot do so.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2022, 11:38 AM
    You cannot defend your nonsensical position by asking questions. Put your mind to work. Explain how a person bound to and subject to sin can, in any sense, have genuine free will.
    Thus, your comment says you are not free to do good. Everything you do is negative at one level or another. You have no choice (free will) in the matter.
    So you say. That's what I'm asking you to defend. You plainly cannot do so.
    In Christ, you do have the freedom (free will) to always do good things. So why don't you?
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2022, 11:46 AM
    Thus, your comment says you are not free to do good. Everything you do is negative at one level or another. You have no choice (free will) in the matter.
    Wonderful post except, sadly, it is untrue. I have said nothing about not being free. My statement ( Explain how a person bound to and subject to sin can, in any sense, have genuine free will.) was based upon a comment by YOU. A little honesty would be helpful here.

In Christ, you do have the freedom (free will) to always do good things .
    We have discussed this previously. The key in your statement is to be "in Christ". However, you have said that mankind in general has free will and yet is also bound by/subject to sin. That is the statement I wish you would defend.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2022, 01:26 PM
    What's your definition of free will?
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2022, 02:08 PM
    What's your explanation of your contradictory views? Asking an abundance of questions just comes across as a diversion on your part. Why are so afraid to attempt an answer???
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2022, 02:18 PM
    What are my contradictory views? I don't see any.
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2022, 02:25 PM
    That could very well be true, sad to say, but I'll post it again for the 412th time. Keep hope alive!!

"However, you have said that mankind in general has free will and yet is also bound by/subject to sin. That is the statement I wish you would defend."

Also here. "So again, how can mankind be bound/subject to sin and yet have free will? For one to be true, the other cannot be true."

Here as well. "Explain how a person bound to and subject to sin can, in any sense, have genuine free will."

And again. "Until then, you are left with the utterly nonsensical position of trying to say people are bound by and subject to sin, and yet those same people have free will. I suspect you are trying to land somewhere in the middle, saying that we exercise free will when we can, from time to time, break free from our bondage to sin, your position thus being one of 'occasional (transitory) free will.'"

So those four were on this page alone. Still, I'm sure you just overlooked them...somehow...or other...you know.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2022, 02:38 PM
    God created Adam and Eve, then gave them free will. He asked them not to do one simple thing. They decided to do that forbidden thing and thus they disobeyed God. Sin entered the world.

Are we on the same page so far?
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2022, 02:41 PM
    Yes, a page that you have posted several times. Hopefully, an explanation of your seemingly contradictory position, thus far unposted, will soon follow. Keep hope alive!!
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2022, 09:16 AM
    I started this with a question about a Bible passage. It's turned into word games.

You are still trying to have your cake and eat it, too. After starting with, "We are all bound by sin, the condition called sin; we are subject to sinful actions, " you then continue with, "temptations to do wrong things. We have the inclination, a choice, free will, to do a sin, a bad thing. Or we can do good." To be "bound" and "subject to" is not the same as merely being tempted or having an inclination.

Even worse is to suggest that being "restricted by sin" causes us to, "also do bad things." So you finally reach a conclusion that we do not, in fact, really have free will since, being restricted by sin, we therefore do bad things. Very interesting!!

You earlier stated, "You (JL) are thinking of sin as the condition. I am writing about it as an act." But now you say, "We are all bound by sin, the condition called sin." You need to make your mind up.

You think if sin binds us, we are powerless to do good actions.
    I have suggested no such thing. These are your utterly contradictory ideas we are discussing.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2022, 09:34 AM
    I suppose a person could look at it like that. If you would prefer, I'll drop it. Still not too sure how to piece together free will with the idea that we are subject to sin, and there is plainly going to be no answer to that, but it has gone on too long. I'd agree with that.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Aug 11, 2022, 02:29 PM
    Your self-identity is an illusion, who or what you identity as is just a concept created by your thoughts. The you that you think you currently are (your deepest sense of I am) are just thoughts that pop in and out of existence from nothingness, and you have no control over them.

Don’t believe me? Try this right now, sit down with your eyes close and see if you can stop your thoughts (good luck).

Did you notice that all you have are thoughts? Thoughts on top of thoughts on top of thoughts, and there is no you that is doing the thoughts, the thoughts are doing you! The you that you think you really are is called the ego, your entire identity is the ego. So once you realize that you as perceiver is an illusion than you realize that there is no you that there is no free will. How can there be free will if there is no you in control? Romans 7: For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing” (verse 19). In short, Paul was saying, I do what I don’t want to do (thoughts are doing you)!

Romans 7: For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing” (verse 19). In short, Paul was saying, I do what I don’t want to do (thoughts are doing you)!

The Fall occurred because man used his free will to listen to Satan. No longer having free will (as we know it). How can man, limited by a sin nature, ever choose what is good? We have become sin aka darkness. It is only through the grace and power of God that free will truly becomes “free.

We will always be Darkness (we will always be sinners). God does not make us light. Jesus (is that light) gives us light...Light overcomes our darkness. It is the Holy Spirit who works in and through a person’s will to regenerate that person.

Your idea of free will - Without the opportunity to sin, there is no opportunity to choose for God by choosing against something else? Would this explain the tree of good and Evil that was in the garden??

@Wondergirl; You act as if "Oh I'm just so full of love, I think I'll go produce some fruit!"
    Instead, maybe we should be thinking - why it is we don't love God (not as we should love him)?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I charge my phone before I use it or use it until the battery dies then charge it [ 6 Answers ]

I have aslways had an issue with my new phones, the battery life s always so much less compared to the specification set out by the manufacture. So I need to know, "do i charge my phone before i use it or use it untill the battery dies then charge it"?

Should I charge a fix rate or charge by the square ft to paint a house exterior. [ 1 Answers ]

Should I charge a fix rate or charge by the square foot to paint the exterior of a home around 2000 square feet?

Mom won't let me date. I need to wait until college? Should I ask HIM to wait? [ 3 Answers ]

Sooo. My mom won't let me date. Period. Its for religious perposes but I don't feel the same way she does. I always find a guy I like and then she ruins it. I had a pretty serious relationship last year. We hid it from my mom for over a year but complications with distance and my mom ultimately...

To wait or not to wait, *confused* [ 15 Answers ]

Greetings. I hope to get some feedback and advice on the following situation. I met this girl through my room mate's brother over the summer. This girl was his rebound after he's GF left him. As the summer progressed, my room mate's brother got back with his ex after she wanting him back. ...

View more questions Search