Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2022, 08:17 AM
    Gun Conversation
    1. From WG. "What guns would you remove?"

From JL. I think where we are now is the right place.

Our problem is not a gun problem. Our problem is a moral problem.

From WG.
      No one needs a weapon of war. Yes, a moral problem (ban shooting-people video games!) and a mental illness problem.

From JL. That's why I said so called "assault weapons". They are not weapons of war; they just look like them.

I don't like the video games either, but there is a lot more to it than that. We cannot continue to violently kill the most innocent and defenseless among us and expect our children to develop any respect for life.

Sometimes I think the mental illness aspect is overblown. What we really have is a family problem. The explosion of out of wedlock births has been devastating. The tendency of more and more men to produce children they have no intention of supporting has been similarly devastating.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2022, 08:48 AM
    The mental illness problem isn't always inherited. For years, I've heard from friends, and especially clients, horror stories about being bullied by family members and classmates, being emotionally and even physically/sexually abused by family members/relatives. All that abuse sets the stage for broken romantic relationships and marriages. And dysfunctional "families" with unwanted children that result.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2022, 09:47 AM
    Healthy families are the answer to much of that.

Who in the US needs a semiautomatic gun?
    The person who wants to feel safe in their house. But for that matter, who in the U.S. "needs" a revolver, or a BB gun, or a single shot gun, or a muzzle loader, or a fishing rod, or a skinning knife, or an 8,000 square foot house?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2022, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Healthy families are the answer to much of that.
    Read Genesis 3. Healthy families are rare, even non-existent.
    The person who wants to feel safe in their house.
    No need for such a gun.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2022, 10:33 AM
    Read Genesis 3. Healthy families are rare, even non-existent.
    Only in your world. There are no perfect families, but I have known MANY, MANY healthy families...hundreds of them. I saw their kids in school and church and interacted with the parents.

No need for such a gun.
    How do you know that?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2022, 10:36 AM
    Only in your world. There are no perfect families, but I have known MANY, MANY healthy families...hundreds of them. I saw their kids in school and church and interacted with the parents.
    Nope, there's always a burr under the saddle.
    How do you know that?
    A gun, yes. But not an assault type.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2022, 10:40 AM
    Nope, there's.always.a burr under the saddle.
    That's just silly. Using that standard, there are no physically healthy people. After all, a person might have a cavity, or a scratch, or some hidden, unknown malady. It's just ridiculous to use some standard of perfection. But healthy families??? Yeah, they are out there by the millions.

But not an assault type.
    It is not legal to own an assault rifle. If you want to discuss this, then you need to educate yourself on the terminology. It's yet another clear indicator that you are, indeed, a liberal dem. Most of them don't know squat about guns.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2022, 10:45 AM
    That's just silly. Using that standard, there are no physically healthy people.
    "Physically healthy"???
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2022, 10:47 AM
    Yeah. You know, kind of like a physically healthy body? Applying your silly standard of perfection eliminates any possibility of being healthy in any way. It's just nonsense. I'm sorry you are in such a sorry place of the country that there are no healthy families, but they are in abundance here. Not perfect, to be sure, but healthy.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2022, 10:56 AM
    Not perfect, to be sure, but healthy.
    The "not perfect" is what I was aiming for.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2022, 10:59 AM
    In post 5 I wrote, "Only in your world. There are no perfect families, but I have known MANY, MANY healthy families...hundreds of them."

There is a vast difference, in my view at least, between unhealthy and imperfect. NFL football players are not physically perfect, but they are certainly not unhealthy.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2022, 11:03 AM
    Morally, emotionally, psychogically imperfect.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2022, 12:00 PM
    And yet still to be regarded, in millions of cases, as healthy. Evidently you blew right past this, but it's as good of an illustration as I can think of.

"NFL football players are not physically perfect, but they are certainly not unhealthy."

The Mona Lisa is not a perfect work of art, so by your standard, it would have to be regarded as sub-standard. Wow. "Look at that artistically imperfect pile of junk! Who painted that???"
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2022, 12:12 PM
    This isn't about physical health or perfection.

Children are spanked and otherwise physically punished, loudly berated, humiliated, put down, ignored or at least pushed aside, emotionally scarred by parents, caregivers, teachers -- the adults in their lives.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2022, 12:39 PM
    The comparison between physical health and family health is made to show how inaccurate your standard of perfection is.

Children go through difficulties for sure. Some families are good and some are disasters. Some beat their kids while others refuse to discipline them when a reasonable spanking would be a good thing. Many schools now encourage young boys to consider themselves to be girls and vice versa. Still, most children are raised in reasonably healthy environments.

This comment of yours is the core of this discussion. I consider it to be unspeakably foolish and wrong. In fact, I know it is since I had 36 years of experience of working with thousands of families. You seem to think our population is composed of entirely sorry, stinking families. That just seems far off the chart to me.

"Healthy families are rare, even non-existent."

Even worse, you have no way in the world of knowing that. You can only speak of the relatively tiny group you have experience with.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2022, 12:56 PM
    I haven't said anything about physical health.

Do family counseling for 32 years. Then we'll talk again.

Did you spank/physically punish your own children and your students? (There is no such thing as a "reasonable spanking".)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2022, 01:02 PM
    Many schools now encourage young boys to consider themselves to be girls and vice versa.
    That's not true and you know it.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2022, 01:04 PM
    I haven't said anything about physical health.
    That's been explained to you quite adequately. I just don't know how else to help you.

Do family counseling for 32 years. Then we'll talk
    Be a school principal for 24 years, and then we'll talk some more.

Did you spank/physically punish your own children and your
    Yes and yes. As I said, to not spank a child as an error in the same way as beating them.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2022, 01:11 PM
    That's been explained to you quite adequately. I just don't know how else to help you.
    Again, your reading comprehension sucks. Physical health is NOT what I've been talking about.

As I said, to not spank a child as an error in the same way as beating them.
    Spanking is an absolutely horrible thing to do to a child.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2022, 01:14 PM
    Again, your reading comprehension sucks. Physical health is NOT what I've been talking about.
    It is sad and funny at the same time. Like I said, I just can't help you with that piece of understanding.

Spanking is an absolutely horrible thing to do to a child.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even the lady who is convinced that healthy families no longer exist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Having a conversation [ 23 Answers ]

I don't know how to talk to my friends anymore after not speaking to them for a long time I just don't know how to. It's easy with my little sister she talks all the time. I find it hard to have a conversation with anyone even mum if people ask me a question sometimes I can answer but I feel very...

Conversation help? [ 24 Answers ]

Me and this love talking to each other on the phone, and hanging out. But we always find ourselves running out of things to talk about after the first five minutes. We end up being like "yeah" and "wow" and we just run out of things to say. We can have the best conversation, but somehow after that...

The conversation [ 37 Answers ]

Hello: We've got TWO different things going on... We've got REALITY, and we've got the CONVERSATION about reality... They are NOT the same thing. In my view, the right wing won the conversation hands down. They're not good at governing, but they ARE good at coming up with good sound...

A weird conversation with my dad. [ 6 Answers ]

This is really strange, I know... I just got off the phone with my dad who is traveling with my mom from VA to NY leaving today, getting back on Columbus Day. He just called to tell me they were leaving, and then said the weirdest thing... he said "I've already told your brother and sister this,...

What does our conversation mean? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex and I dated for 5 years and I broke up with him 3 years ago because I was insecure. We went a year without speaking and over two years without seeing each other. Since then I have seen him a few times (lunch, hang out) usually his idea. Last week he called and asked if I wanted to go to...

View more questions Search