Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2022, 07:26 AM
    When we were swamped by Vietnamese after the Tet Offensive and war
    We were never "swamped" by Vietnamese immigrants. There were a lot of them for sure, but nothing at all to be compared with what we are experiencing now at the southern border. Not even close. And I should add that they were all LEGAL immigrants coming from a country which we had tried to help and yet failed, and their lives were absolutely in danger. That is not the case now.

I do commend you for your work in the 70's with the Vietnamese. Still, it's one thing for you to offer your own help. It's an entirely different matter for you to offer someone else's help.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2022, 07:31 AM
    LOL in total about 120,000 Vietnam refugees resettled in the US. That is less than 1 month of illegal crossings according to the latest CBP data

CBP Releases July 2022 Monthly Operational Update | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Resettling Vietnamese Refugees in the United States | National Geographic Society
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2022, 07:35 AM
    Former pres Obama could take them all by himself. With all of his rich neighbors, it would have been but very little trouble. They could have given them jobs as maids and gardeners!!

Former President Barack Obama and several other high-profile Democrats who own homes on Martha’s Vineyard have remained silent on whether they will open up their homes to provide comfort to any illegal immigrants sent to the island by Republican governors.
    Representatives for the former president did not respond to multiple requests for comment from Fox News Digital on whether he has considered opening up his sprawling 29-acre estate on Martha’s Vineyard to illegal immigrants who have been sent to the island or may be in the future.
    A person's true colors will usually come shining through.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2022, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I do commend you for your work in the 70's with the Vietnamese. Still, it's one thing for you to offer your own help. It's an entirely different matter for you to offer someone else's help.
    So many churches of all denominations had wiillingly, even eagerly, jumped into the effort to provide safe housing, food, education, jobs for the Vietnamese immigrants. Like the Vietnamese, the immigrants at the southern border are not welfare cases in their own countries but are solid citizens with families and meaningful jobs that will benefit our country. Of course, the world/US population, like the immigration population, is much greater than it was in the '70s, so that's part of the problem. We are too conflicted now regarding "welcoming the stranger into our midst".
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2022, 09:19 AM
    They could have given them jobs as maids and gardeners!!
    They had meaninful jobs in their own countries, so let's take hold of those skills and apply them in our own country!
    A person's true colors will usually come shining through.
    Too true....
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2022, 10:34 AM
    They had meaninful jobs in their own countries
    How do you know that? Besides, when did you decide that being a maid or a gardener is not a meaningful job?

We are too conflicted now regarding "welcoming the stranger into our midst".
    I don't think so. I think there are many liberal dems who view these people as future dem voters, many big businesses who view them as cheap labor, and many others who believe we should have secure borders and some control over who enters our country.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2022, 10:44 AM
    How do you know that? Besides, when did you decide that being a maid or a gardener is not a meaningful job?
    You, with all your knowledge and experience, would be happy being a gardener in another country if you were forced to emigrate there?

In this morning's newspaper: "And those supposedly spoiled Vineyard liberals did a lot more to help the migrants on this occasion than DeSantis did.

Instead of grandstanding, they went to work. They found temporary shelter for their unexpected guests in a local church. They gathered food and supplies. In short, they showed virtue, not just signaling, in response to the unnecessary emergency."

Viewing them as future dem voters??? How about dems having a lot more heart than repubs do!!!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2022, 10:59 AM
    we should have secure borders and some control over who enters our country.
    Then, like I posted earlier, add more border checkpoints, temporary housing, food sources in order to gain control over the immigration flood.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2022, 11:06 AM
    Why not just expect people to obey our laws?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2022, 11:17 AM
    Why not just expect people to obey our laws?
    That has nothing to do with the lack of border checkpoints!
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2022, 12:02 PM
    Of course it does. We have x number of checkpoints. By law they must go through one. End of story.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2022, 12:25 PM
    Of course it does. We have x number of checkpoints. By law they must go through one. End of story.
    We don't have ENOUGH checkpoints. More need to be established.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2022, 12:53 PM
    We don't have ENOUGH checkpoints. More need to be established.
    How many do we have?

Besides, why would an illegal immigrant be interested in a checkpoint? Their goal is to AVOID checkpoints.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2022, 01:21 PM
    How many do we have?
    The United States Border Patrol operates 71 traffic checkpoints, including 33 permanent traffic checkpoints, near the Mexico–United States border. The stated primary purpose of these inspection stations is to deter illegal immigration and smuggling activities. (Wikipedia)

The United States’ southern border with Mexico is 1,933 miles long, stretching from the Pacific Ocean to the tip of South Texas.

Now figure out how far apart on average the checkpoints are.

Besides, why would an illegal immigrant be interested in a checkpoint? Their goal is to AVOID checkpoints.
    Not all are illegal. Many are looking for a refuge from war and the resulting poverty.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2022, 02:01 PM
    So how many highways cross the border that need a checkpoint?

How will more checkpoints aid those crossing illegally, bearing in mind that we are talking well in excess of two million a year?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2022, 02:02 PM
    How will more checkpoints aid those crossing illegally, bearing in mind that we are talking well in excess of two million a year?
    Who crosses illegally -- and why?

How many cross legally?

Do immigrants know where the checkpoints are?
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2022, 02:08 PM
    Since you plainly have no idea how to find material on the internet, I'll supply that answer. It is around a half million, though not all come across the southern border.

How many checkpoints would it take to make you happy? How many highways cross the southern border which don't currently have a checkpoint? lf the answer iS zero, then why are you calling for more checkpoints? PLEASE DON'T DODGE THESE QUESTIONS. ANSWER THEM.

Who crosses illegally
    You want the names of two million people? Many cross for the purpose of sex-trafficking, gang transactions, or drug trafficking. Happy with that???
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2022, 02:14 PM
    Since you plainly have no idea how to find material on the internet, I'll supply that answer. It is around a half million, though not all come across the southern border.
    Stop with the putdowns! You are throwing out vague comments. I was hoping my questions would help you add a bit of flesh to them.
    How many checkpoints would it take to make you happy? How many highways cross the southern border which don't currently have a checkpoint? lf the answer if zero, then why are you calling for more checkpoints? PLEASE DON'T DODGE THIS QUESTION. ANSWER IT.
    Obviously there aren't enough. Do the immigrants have maps or have been told where the checkpoints are?
    You want the names of two million people? Many cross for the purpose of sex-trafficking, gang transactions, or drug trafficking. Happy with that???
    You are so wrong! Please do some honest research!
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2022, 02:28 PM
    Obviously there aren't enough. Do the immigrants have maps or have been told where the checkpoints are?
    More question dodging, which is your usual MO. You always run away from questions you find threatening. It's why I hate trying to discuss anything with you. And to be clear, these are the questions you chose to just ignore. "How many checkpoints would it take to make you happy? How many highways cross the southern border which don't currently have a checkpoint? lf the answer if zero, then why are you calling for more checkpoints?"

You are so wrong!
    So now you are denying that sex-trafficking, gang transactions, or drug trafficking happen on the southern border? Really??? Surely that was not your intention, because that would betray an absolutely agonizing level of, shall we say, lack of knowledge.

Talk to someone else. Hopefully, wait until you have some idea of what you're talking about. I can't handle this evasiveness. You cannot have a discussion with someone who is afraid of answers.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2022, 03:00 PM
    You cannot have a discussion with someone who is afraid [to give] answers.
    Yeah, I know that now. Thus, I won't ask you any more questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I be punished in the same way as for adultery? [ 5 Answers ]

I am a 23 year old female and unmarried. I have committed a big sin.I have had sex chat with unknown males. In the middle of chatting I realize its wrong and then I stop chatting and perform obligatory ghusl as soon as possible and then I repent. I feel so ashamed of myself. But again I do the...

I'm being punished for something! [ 2 Answers ]

I've been with him for eleven years and married for five. I've never been in any relationship like this! He's been physically and emotionally abusive. He's almost 40 and acts like a eighteen year old drinking, coming home the next day, playing video games. Two out of the three jobs he's had, he's...

Being punished for being hurt by him [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone... im really needing some help. I've began to think that I'm crazy living with this for so long so here goes... rite after my divorce to my first husband I met this guy and he was great. He helped me through my divorce and told me what to expect... he had ben through one two himself. ...

How Can AN 18 Year Old Be punished? [ 7 Answers ]

First I would like to say that my partner and I are male gay parents of 6 children whom we adopted through the foster care program. We have had great success with 4 of these children, all of them teens and young adults. The one I am concerned about is now 18 and thinks he owns the house and can do...

View more questions Search