Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 27, 2022, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    1. Place the Ten Commandments back on the schoolhouse walls. (Would have to be state by state.)
    2. Have all schools begin the day with this prayer. "Almighty God, we acknowledge our dependence upon You, and we ask for Your blessings upon us, our parents, our teachers and our country." (Again, would have to be state by state.)
    3. Provide armed and well trained security for all schools.
    4. Make school campuses as secure as is practically possible.
    5. Return to the two-parent family.
    6. Make divorce more difficult.
    7. Stop the practice of abortion out of respect for human life.
    1. That never stopped schoolchildren even from bullying, fist fights, gossiping, lying, etc. That posting was a running joke.
    2. No. Only in religious schools, not public. US Constitution, First Amendment, Separation of church and state.
    3. Like those at Robb? Why not install solid steel entrance/exit doors that are kept locked?
    4. Impossible.
    5. Good luck with that!
    6. Then be ready for lots of abuse etc. reports.
    7. What do you plan to do with all those unwanted babies?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 27, 2022, 10:13 AM
    1. That never stopped schoolchildren even from bullying, fist fights, gossiping, lying, etc. That posting was a running joke." Any public school employee will tell you that school violence and disrespectful behavior has worsened considerably over the past several decades since the TC were taken down.
    2. No. Only in religious schools, not public. US Constitution, First Amendment, Separation of church and state. Actually, the prayer I listed is a non-specific prayer that does not establish any religion. There is no separation of church and state.
    3. Like those at Robb? Why not install solid steel entrance/exit doors that are kept locked? As I posted earlier, it is now being admitted that there was no armed security at RE. The unlocked back door was a huge mistake.
    4. Impossible. It's impossible to make them as secure as possible??? Don't be ridiculous. Of course it can be done. The key words are, "as possible".
    5. Good luck with that! It was the standard for two hundred years before liberal influences damaged it. It can be the standard again.
    6. Then be ready for lots of abuse etc. reports. There are millions and millions of marriages with no abuse.
    7. What do you plan to do with all those unwanted babies? First of all, it is not my direct responsibility to take care of someone else's child, so your question in invalid. But to be clear, many of the women who routinely use abortion as birth control will find another method once the killing of unborn children is stopped, so many of the pregnancies now occurring will no longer happen. Of those that do, many of them will be kept by the mom (and hopefully husband/father) and will be loved. Many will be adopted. The state will have to put some in foster homes. The 2,000 or so crisis pregnancy centers run by primarily conservative Christian pro-lifers (pro-abortion supporters do not run many CPC's) will be kept busy.

Should I suppose we will get your suggestions about the same time we get the promised legal opinion?
    Uber Member

May 27, 2022, 03:38 PM
    Some things are hard to understand. It's beginning to look more and more like a less than stellar performance by the local police.

Fast Facts

• 1. The Texas Department of Public Safety said Friday that responding authorities didn’t immediately engage the shooter because the police commander on scene believed the attack had transitioned to a barricaded suspect situation.
    • 2. A school district police officer was not inside Robb Elementary School when suspected shooter Salvador Ramos arrived and unknowingly drove past him at one point.
    • 3. Nearly 20 officers stood in a school hallway for 45 minutes before authorities were able to breach a classroom door to confront and kill the gunman, authorities said.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 27, 2022, 04:22 PM
    1. That never stopped schoolchildren even from bullying, fist fights, gossiping, lying, etc. That posting was a running joke." Any public school employee will tell you that school violence and disrespectful behavior has worsened considerably over the past several decades since the TC were taken down. NO public school should have the TC posted except perhaps temporarily as part of a history lesson.
    2. No. Only in religious schools, not public. US Constitution, First Amendment, Separation of church and state. Actually, the prayer I listed is a non-specific prayer that does not establish any religion. There is no separation of church and state. It refers to the Jewish/Christian God. That would be offensive to atheists, Jains, Buddhists, even Muslims, et al.
    3. Like those at Robb? Why not install solid steel entrance/exit doors that are kept locked? As I posted earlier, it is now being admitted that there was no armed security at RE. The unlocked back door was a huge mistake. It was also propped open. And they are finally admitting the lack of security oversight.
    4. Impossible. It's impossible to make them as secure as possible??? Don't be ridiculous. Of course it can be done. The key words are, "as possible". Someone will unlock a door and forget to unlock it. Someone will even prop open a door. Someone will yawn and say, "It won't happen here."
    5. Good luck with that! It was the standard for two hundred years before liberal influences damaged it. It can be the standard again. Too large and diverse of a population now. Won't happen.
    6. Then be ready for lots of abuse etc. reports. There are millions and millions of marriages with no abuse. Oh, many marriages DO have abuse, which takes many forms. And separation and even divorce become the solution.
    7. What do you plan to do with all those unwanted babies? First of all, it is not my direct responsibility to take care of someone else's child, so your question in invalid. But to be clear, many of the women who routinely use abortion as birth control will find another method once the killing of unborn children is stopped, so many of the pregnancies now occurring will no longer happen. Of those that do, many of them will be kept by the mom (and hopefully husband/father) and will be loved. Many will be adopted. The state will have to put some in foster homes. The 2,000 or so crisis pregnancy centers run by primarily conservative Christian pro-lifers (pro-abortion supporters do not run many CPC's) will be kept busy. Too many will grow up feeling deprived of a family, two parents, their REAL parents. Too many will be mentally and/or physically abused. Too many will not have happy lives.

Why are assault rifles even available -- to ANYONE OVER 18???
    Uber Member

May 27, 2022, 07:05 PM
    NO public school should have the TC posted except perhaps temporarily as part of a history lesson.
    Why not?

It refers to the Jewish/Christian God. That would be offensive to atheists, Jains, Buddhists, even Muslims, et al.
    Not to Muslims. Probably not to Buddhists. I'm tired of people getting "offended" over basically nothing.

Someone will unlock a door and forget to unlock it. Someone will even prop open a door. Someone will yawn and say, "It won't happen here."
    That's a poor excuse. "Don't put up speed limit signs because some people will ignore them!! And don't try and use a sterile surgical environment since doctors sometimes don't wash their hands properly." It's just stunning to hear someone seriously suggest that we should not make efforts to make schools more difficult targets. Incredible. So you want us to just leave them wide open for mass shooters to enter and make no efforts at all? Wow.

Too large and diverse of a population now. Won't happen.
    So let's not shoot too high? We can no longer achieve greatness? Can't agree with you on that one.

Oh, many marriages DO have abuse, which takes many forms. And separation and even divorce become the solution.
    I didn't say make divorce impossible. I said make it difficult. And you talk about ME not having reading comp???

Too many will grow up feeling deprived of a family, two parents, their REAL parents. Too many will be mentally and/or physically abused. Too many will not have happy lives.
    So it's just much better to kill them? Just get rid of them since, after all, life can be risky? Can't go along with you on that one either. By that logic, we could just as well start killing those kids who are not living "happy lives". I guess we'd be doing them a favor?

If you do away with so called "assault rifles", you will do nothing to stop gun murders. It is only intended to make liberal dems feel better. It would only take a few years and liberal dems would begin to call for the elimination of handguns. Any mass shooter can carry two semi-auto handguns and have 22 rounds available. Then a quick reload (three seconds per gun) and you have 22 more.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 27, 2022, 08:25 PM
    Not to Muslims. Probably not to Buddhists. I'm tired of people getting "offended" over basically nothing.
    Second Amendment.
    That's a poor excuse. "Don't put up speed limit signs because some people will ignore them!! And don't try and use a sterile surgical environment since doctors sometimes don't wash their hands properly." It's just stunning to hear someone seriously suggest that we should not make efforts to make schools more difficult targets. Incredible. So you want us to just leave them wide open for mass shooters to enter and make no efforts at all? Wow.
    That's what happened at Robb -- Someone will unlock a door and forget to unlock it. Someone will even prop open a door. Someone will yawn and say, "It won't happen here."
    So let's not shoot too high? We can no longer achieve greatness? Can't agree with you on that one.
    Nope. Too many divergent opinions in such a huge population.

I didn't say make divorce impossible. I said make it difficult. And you talk about ME not having reading comp???
    Yes, you have reading comp problems. I didn't say impossible.
    So it's just much better to kill them? Just get rid of them since, after all, life can be risky? Can't go along with you on that one either. By that logic, we could just as well start killing those kids who are not living "happy lives". I guess we'd be doing them a favor?
    In other words, you don't give a hoot about the born ones.
    If you do away with so called "assault rifles", you will do nothing to stop gun murders. It is only intended to make liberal dems feel better. It would only take a few years and liberal dems would begin to call for the elimination of handguns. Any mass shooter can carry two semi-auto handguns and have 22 rounds available. Then a quick reload (three seconds per gun) and you have 22 more.
    We do not need assault rifles. The many mass murders have been committed with assault rifles, not with handguns or Winchesters or bb guns or butter knives.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2022, 12:16 AM
    That's what happened at Robb -- Someone will unlock a door and forget to unlock it. Someone will even prop open a door. Someone will yawn and say, "It won't happen here."
    So let's just forget it and let our kids die? Wow. What a pathetic idea. It's like suggesting we not put locks on our home doors since, after all, someone will forget to lock one. That you would suggest just leaving our schoolchildren in dangerous situations is really shocking.

Nope. Too many divergent opinions in such a huge population.
    We have always had many divergent opinions. So we shouldn't have tried to end slavery since we had so many divergent opinions on the subject? We should always aim for greatness and not for excuses. Laziness breeds failure.

Yes, you have reading comp problems. I didn't say impossible.
    I didn't say you did. Reading comp problem again?

In other words, you don't give a hoot about the born ones.
    You can't defend your own sick idea, so the problem must be mine? Got it!

We do not need assault rifles. The many mass murders have been committed with assault rifles, not with handguns or Winchesters or bb guns or butter knives.
    Read my statement again but this time a little more slowly and carefully. If you take away "assault weapons", the sick mind of a mass shooter can just as easily attack people with handguns. It would be no problem at all. And even at that, the vast, vast majority of gun murders are committed with handguns, so that will be the next logical target for you liberal dems.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2022, 03:52 AM
    NO public school should have the TC posted except perhaps temporarily as part of a history lesson.....It refers to the Jewish/Christian God. That would be offensive to atheists, Jains, Buddhists, even Muslims, et al.They represent a set of laws that are universal .

I already posted the Federal law that says rifles of any kind cannot be purchased by anyone under 18 . Assault rifles are a clever term the anti-gun crowd uses for semi-automatic rifles that look like they are military . If they were shaped like hunting rifles there would be less objection even though they function the same .

A woman in West Virginia fatally shot a man who began firing an AR-15-style rifle into a crowd of people that had gathered for a party, authorities said.

Dennis Butler, 37, was killed Wednesday night after he pulled out the rifle and began shooting at dozens of people attending the birthday-graduation party outside an apartment complex in the city of Charleston, police said in a statement.
    The woman, who was attending the party, drew a pistol and fired, killing Butler, the statement said. No one at the party was injured.

Woman legally carrying gun kills man who shot into crowd, police say | WPDE
    Uber Member

May 28, 2022, 05:08 AM
    They represent a set of laws that are universal .
    Exactly. It would represent a set of moral values that we would say we are endorsing as a nation.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2022, 05:40 AM
    This I do not understand. The same person who said, "Why not install solid steel entrance/exit doors that are kept locked?" also said, in response to a suggestion that schools be made as secure as possible, "Someone will unlock a door and forget to unlock it (sic). Someone will even prop open a door. Someone will yawn and say, 'It won't happen here.'" Why suggest solid steel doors and then just blow it off and say that people will only leave them propped open?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 28, 2022, 09:02 AM
    This I do not understand. The same person who said, "Why not install solid steel entrance/exit doors that are kept locked?" also said, in response to a suggestion that schools be made as secure as possible, "Someone will unlock a door and forget to unlock it (sic). Someone will even prop open a door. Someone will yawn and say, 'It won't happen here.'" Why suggest solid steel doors and then just blow it off and say that people will only leave them propped open?
    Because that's what happened at Robb Elementary. And your discussion timeline is off course.

Exactly. It would represent a set of moral values that we would say we are endorsing as a nation.
    That's not true at all! And, anyway, who reads words on a wall and obeys them? Remember Moses and the golden calf story and what happened to those two tablets?

Assault rifles are a clever term the anti-gun crowd uses for semi-automatic rifles that look like they are military . If they were shaped like hunting rifles there would be less objection even though they function the same .
    Tom, assault rifles do not function the same. Assault rifes shoot out bullets how? Hunting rifles shoot out bullets how? Big difference! Physical appearance has nothing to do with it.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2022, 09:39 AM
    Because that's what happened at Robb Elementary. And your discussion timeline is off course.
    That's just words. It offers no real explanation of the contradiction of your two remarks. I suggested, "Make school campuses as secure as is practically possible." Your response was, "Impossible". So it's impossible to make school campuses, "...as secure as is practically possible?" Huh??? That makes no sense at all. It clearly had not been done at RE but certainly COULD have been done.

That's not true at all! And, anyway, who reads words on a wall and obeys them?
    Which of the commandments do you oppose? Which ones do you read and not obey? We read signs on walls all the time and obey them. Perhaps you don't.

Assault rifes shoot out bullets how? Hunting rifles shoot out bullets how? Big difference!
    There is no difference in how semi-auto rifles fire, be they hunting or "assault". You just don't understand that so called "assault weapons" are called that because they resemble military rifles in appearance. They do NOT resemble them in operation. Look up the Winchester Model 1907 and you'll see what we are talking about.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 28, 2022, 10:26 AM
    That's just words. It offers no real explanation of the contradiction of your two remarks. I suggested, "Make school campuses as secure as is practically possible." Your response was, "Impossible". So it's impossible to make school campuses, "...as secure as is practically possible?" Huh??? That makes no sense at all. It clearly had not been done at RE but certainly COULD have been done.
    What about all those other school shootings in the past? Yes, a school can be made secure, but the humans who work there and go to school there must respect and maintain that security.
    Which of the commandments do you oppose? Which ones do you read and not obey? We read signs on walls all the time and obey them. Perhaps you don't.
    My comment has NOTHING to do with opposing commandments! I do my best to obey the Ten Commandments but not because they are posted on a wall. The same holds true for anyone else, even you.
    There is no difference in how semi-auto rifles fire, be they hunting or "assault". You just don't understand that so called "assault weapons" are called that because they resemble military rifles in appearance. They do NOT resemble them in operation. Look up the Winchester Model 1907 and you'll see what we are talking about.
    Why didn't he buy two handguns and use those to kill 21 people?
    Uber Member

May 28, 2022, 10:32 AM
    Yes, a school can be made secure, but the humans who work there and go to school there must respect and maintain that security.
    You said it was impossible before. We can agree, however, on what you have just posted.

Why didn't he buy two handguns and use those to kill 21 people?
    You'd have to ask him. The point is that these "assault rifles" operate in the same manner as a semi-auto hunting rifle.

We should put the TC on the wall so children can be aware of them and so we can affirm that those commandments are a common moral view for our country.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 28, 2022, 10:48 AM
    You'd have to ask him. The point is that these "assault rifles" operate in the same manner as a semi-auto hunting rifle.
    And what is the difference between killing a classroom of 4th graders with a handgun vs. with an assault rifle/semi-automatic hunting rifle? Which would be more effective and why?
    We should put the TC on the wall so children can be aware of them and so we can affirm that those commandments are a common moral view for our country.
    And that wall would be smeared with goop, laughed at, and the commands on it ignored.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2022, 11:58 AM
    And what is the difference between killing a classroom of 4th graders with a handgun vs. with an assault rifle/semi-automatic hunting rifle? Which would be more effective and why?
    There is basically no difference. That's kind of the whole point. You would have to get rid of all of them. I would fear semi-auto handguns more than anything since they are much easier to conceal and easy to reload, but all of them can be deadly.

And that wall would be smeared with goop, laughed at, and the commands on it ignored.
    Well then there is no point in even trying is there? After all, we might encounter difficulties. I guess those of us who spent more than two decades as a principal have no intention of having an unruly school that would permit that to happen. Perhaps your libraries allowed such behavior to occur. My schools did not. You do realize they are in the Supreme Court building? Are they "smeared with goop" there? Good grief.

Surrendering to problems has not been my motto in life. Preaching to drug addicts is a tough assignment. You know that most of them will go back to addiction, but some will not. So we just keep trying to make the program better and thus win more battles. That's how life works.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 28, 2022, 12:13 PM
    There is basically no difference. That's kind of the whole point. You would have to get rid of all of them. I would fear semi-auto handguns more than anything since they are much easier to conceal and easy to reload, but all of them can be deadly.
    How many bullets can be fired in a minute by an assault rifle? Spraying bullets as the shooter waves the gun from side to side? By a handgun or hunting rifle?
    Well then there is no point in even trying is there? After all, we might encounter difficulties. I guess those of us who spent more than two decades as a principal have no intention of having an unruly school that would permit that to happen. Perhaps your libraries allowed such behavior to occur. My schools did not.
    Public libraries do not and would not post the Ten Commandments. Public libraries are not in the business of regulating morals. Walk over to the 220s for help with that.

No TCs need to be posted anywhere once we achieve your dream of solid, Christian, two-parent families.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2022, 12:20 PM
    How many bullets can be fired in a minute by an assault rifle?
    Since you have to pull the trigger each time you want to fire a round, then semi-auto rifles and semi-auto handguns have about the same rate of fire. You cannot "spray" bullets with either weapon. These are not fully-auto guns; they are semi-auto. Fully auto guns are not legal for ownership without licensing which is very difficult to obtain.

Public libraries are not in the business of regulating morals.
    Oh? So you allowed couples to have sex in your libraries? Did you allow porn to be watched on the internet? Did you allow vile language to be used? Did you allow people to bring in handguns? Did you allow sexual assault? Did you allow people to walk around naked?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 28, 2022, 12:57 PM
    Oh? So you allowed couples to have sex in your libraries? Did you allow porn to be watched on the internet? Did you allow vile language to be used? Did you allow people to bring in handguns? Did you allow sexual assault? Did you allow people to walk around naked?
    Not ever a problem. Library patrons are respectful of each other and of the setting they are in. People LOVE their libraries! We did, a couple of times, have to ask our resident homeless guy Jerry to stop snoring when he fell asleep while sitting in one of the overstuffed chairs. And I had to take loudly sobbing Mrs. H into a quiet study room until she calmed down and then opened up to me about her upset. I then, with her permission, took her next door to the county resource center and introduced her to one of the social workers who handled it from there.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2022, 01:06 PM
    I'll bet your internet was filtered. Don't believe at all that no one ever tried to use vile language or that you would have allowed someone to just walk around naked or have sex in the middle of the place. You've told too many tall tales for me to believe that. Of course you enforced moral values. Everyone does. It's just a matter of whose values.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Elementary statistics [ 1 Answers ]

1. Construct a confidence interval to be used for testing the claim college students have a mean greater than 100 and you want the test conducted with a 0.01 significance level. What is the level for the confidence interval?

Elementary math [ 1 Answers ]

2+2=

Elementary homework [ 1 Answers ]

How may ways could you order exactly 40 light bulbs

Elementary Education [ 3 Answers ]

Call anyone tell me all they know about Elementary Education? Please it is for a project thank you. :)

View more questions Search