Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 28, 2022, 07:01 PM
    I thought I saw on the news today that the Uvalde police chief is very much regretting his decision to hold back.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 28, 2022, 07:02 PM
    Tom, there were a number of circumstances in Uvalde that are really questionable. Not only the rear door being propped open, but evidently the classroom doors were not locked. With the shooting that went on outside the building, did they lockdown? If so, then the classroom doors should have been locked. The incredibly slow response time for the police was not good, and the inability to get a truthful report out at the beginning was curious as well. All in all, it seems we have learned very little from previous tragedies, and that is more alarming than anything else.

We were required to run a number of drills every year and one of them was a crisis drill. We had to account for students on the playground, students in the cafeteria, students in the gym, and, of course, students in the classrooms. Locking doors and having students concealed were vital. Trying to make sure sub teachers knew what to do was always a challenge.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 28, 2022, 08:51 PM
    Unfortunately, the days of leaving windows and doors open in classrooms are long gone. Gates are locked. Classroom doors are locked. The office has cameras outside to view visitors, and run their driver’s license through a criminal database. We’ve had active shooter training, and we have a lot of practice drills. I am lucky to have a bathroom in my classroom. How many children can get into the bathroom and “disappear” in less than 20 seconds? 30+ a teacher and we had room to spare. Welcome to teaching today!
    Uber Member

May 29, 2022, 05:04 AM
    Priceless.

"It would be a disaster," said one Democratic strategist. "Think of putting weapons in the hands of people who can't even define what a 'woman' is! I shudder at the thought! Please disarm us immediately!"
    Uber Member

May 29, 2022, 12:09 PM
    Unfortunately, the days of leaving windows and doors open in classrooms are long gone. Gates are locked. Classroom doors are locked. The office has cameras outside to view visitors, and run their driver’s license through a criminal database. We’ve had active shooter training, and we have a lot of practice drills. I am lucky to have a bathroom in my classroom. How many children can get into the bathroom and “disappear” in less than 20 seconds? 30+ a teacher and we had room to spare. Welcome to teaching today!
    I'm retired now, but I remember those days well. We were required to have a fire drill every month, a bad weather drill every semester, a bus evac drill once a year, and a crisis drill (shooter) once a year. We were a rural school with a two lane highway running in front. It used to concern me a great deal as to what we do once the highway filled, as it was sure to do, with the cars of panicked parents by the hundreds. How would we get emergency vehicles in. So we developed a mentality of what we would do ourselves to keep our kids safe. We had an excellent deputy on campus all day so that was good.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2022, 01:51 PM
    No tragedy like this would be complete without someone playing the race card.

Here is University of Pennsylvania professor Anthea Butler

Here is the poblem with her theory . Chief of Police is Daniel Rodiguez .Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District Police Chief is Pedro Arredondo. Oh yeah ;one sheriff's deputy lost his daughter inside the school.
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2022, 01:59 PM
    Some members of the staff of the Melissa Tx school district have been armed since 2016 . They decided to post it so all can see.

Melissa Schools Warn: We are Armed and Trained – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth (nbcdfw.com)
    Uber Member

May 29, 2022, 02:06 PM
    It is sickening beyond belief. The evil of these who want to divide is terrible.

I think armed staff is something we are going to have to consider.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 29, 2022, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I think armed staff is something we are going to have to consider.
    I believe that would be a mistake. Here is a letter to the editor in today's newspaper:

Logistics of arming teachers

Let’s take a look at the “arm the teachers” concept. A shooter gets in a school building, and teachers hear alarms or gunshots.

Will the teacher wear a holster with a loaded handgun in class? Concealed carry or open to view?

If not, will there be a loaded firearm in each classroom?

How will it be stored so it can be accessed and ready to fire in seconds?

How does the school prevent unauthorized people (adults and children) from accessing the firearm without interfering with the teacher’s ability to be ready to fire on short notice?

What training for neutralizing a threat will teachers need? What takes priority — trying to get students to safety or confronting a gunman who is breaking through the door?

How will authorities be able to tell the teachers from the attacker?
    Uber Member

May 29, 2022, 03:10 PM
    It would be challenging. That's what great cultures do.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2022, 03:48 PM
    I'm not sure that armed teachers is the answer. I do know that I felt, as a principal, that I should have been armed, at least in the sense of having access to a weapon locked in my office.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 29, 2022, 04:16 PM
    ...having access to a weapon locked in my office.
    And if all hell breaks loose and you're nowhere near your office?
    Uber Member

May 29, 2022, 04:48 PM
    And what if a meteor falls from the sky and flattens the school? There are no perfect solutions. Perhaps having the weapon holstered at my side would be a better solution. I'm for considering anything that will prove to be a deterrent.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 29, 2022, 05:01 PM
    Yes, concealed carry.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2022, 05:02 PM
    How sad that we have come to this. To think that, decades ago, there were actually shooting classes in many schools, and yet no one seemed compelled to come in and shoot the place up.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 29, 2022, 05:42 PM
    I'm retired now, but I remember those days well. We were required to have a fire drill every month, a bad weather drill every semester, a bus evac drill once a year, and a crisis drill (shooter) once a year. We were a rural school with a two lane highway running in front. It used to concern me a great deal as to what we do once the highway filled, as it was sure to do, with the cars of panicked parents by the hundreds. How would we get emergency vehicles in. So we developed a mentality of what we would do ourselves to keep our kids safe. We had an excellent deputy on campus all day so that was good.
    Lucky you for having a deputy on campus. We don’t have any security in our district. At one time, they asked us who wanted to carry a firearm at work. They were going to train a few teachers at each school, but that never happened. We know that we will have to keep our children safe. Such a sad time.
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2022, 05:44 PM
    11 states allow teachers who have conceal and carry to be armed in school . What do they have in common ? No it is not red/blue divide . Illinois and Rhode Island are 2 of the blue states that permit it .

Guns in Schools | Giffords

• At least 30 states and the District of Columbia allow school security
    • personnel to possess weapons in schools.
    • At least nine states allow other school employees to possess weapons in schools, typically only if they meet certain criteria.
    • At least 11 states allow concealed carry permit holders to possess weapons in schools.
    • At least 24 states give school districts or school boards the authority to decide whether they will allow weapons in school.

50-State Comparison: K-12 School Safety - Education Commission of the States (ecs.org)
    Uber Member

May 29, 2022, 07:57 PM
    Lucky you for having a deputy on campus. We don’t have any security in our district. At one time, they asked us who wanted to carry a firearm at work. They were going to train a few teachers at each school, but that never happened. We know that we will have to keep our children safe. Such a sad time.
    We were a K-12 campus of about a thousand students, so a deputy was useful in many ways for us. There was the very rare occasion of having to arrest a student who would not respond to any school commands. He directed traffic at times. Just his presence on campus, and knowing that he was armed, probably prevented a number of problems. Every school should have a full-time deputy.
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2022, 03:12 AM
    and the children love their resource officers . They are positive adult role models .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Elementary statistics [ 1 Answers ]

1. Construct a confidence interval to be used for testing the claim college students have a mean greater than 100 and you want the test conducted with a 0.01 significance level. What is the level for the confidence interval?

Elementary math [ 1 Answers ]

2+2=

Elementary homework [ 1 Answers ]

How may ways could you order exactly 40 light bulbs

Elementary Education [ 3 Answers ]

Call anyone tell me all they know about Elementary Education? Please it is for a project thank you. :)

View more questions Search