Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2022, 02:49 PM
    Interesting SC decision today. New York cannot prohibit concealed carry because the applicant cannot demonstrate a personal danger. I don't know how far that opens the door, but it would seem to be common sense that an otherwise law-abiding person should be able to carry a gun concealed. The real target here should be the mentally ill, serious criminals, gang bangers, and anyone else who can be demonstrated to be unfit to carry to a weapon.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2022, 03:01 PM
    i lived in NY pen for years . They abuse gun rights as much as any state including the absurdity of my county banning all gun discharge . There was no hunting permitted even though the county was teaming with all types of wild life. That made a criminal technically of many people I knew who would hunt on their own property . The question always is do all these gun laws make it safer ? More than 2 dozen people were shot in NY on the weekend that the end of slavery was celebrated .
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2022, 03:08 PM
    One would think that the right to keep and bear arms would automatically lead to the right to discharge such weapons. Otherwise, what would be the point of having them?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 23, 2022, 03:35 PM
    Discharge them whenever? And at whomever?
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2022, 04:08 AM
    yes very broad restrictions . In my county guns could be used in supervised ranges . It did not stop anything . Gun violence still happened and there were many otherwise legal gun owners who became "criminal" by shooting game and doing target practice on their own property .
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2022, 04:24 AM
    You mean the criminals didn't stop and think, "Wait a minute. I can't rob this convenience store. After all, the gun I'm using might need discharging, and that's against the law. I'll have to just watch a ballgame instead?"

I can see laws against discharging a firearm in a crowded city, but such laws in a rural area is just ridiculous.
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2022, 04:40 AM
    C. Thomas put it pretty well.

"We know of no other constitutional rights that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need," Justice Clarence Thomas noted in the majority opinion. "That is not how the First Amendment works when it comes to unpopular speech or the free exercise of religion. It is not how the Sixth Amendment works when it comes to a defendant's right to confront the witnesses against him. And it is not how the Second Amendment works when it comes to public carry for self-defense."
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2022, 05:15 AM
    Another well stated opinion by Justice Thomas .
    Tollhaus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2022, 05:55 AM
    I can't really understand the Americans, but many people in Europe feel the same way. Why are they so insistent on their guns??? Does it really make you feel better or freer?
    To prevent school massacre teachers should be armed...how sick is that???
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2022, 07:43 AM
    The law overturned was the 1911 Sullivan Act. it was aimed specifically at disarming Italian Americans . It was named after Tammany Hall operative Tim Sullivan . Fellow law officer Bat Masterson called the law "obnoxious " and questioned Sullivan's sanity .

The 1st person convicted was an Italian American named Marino Rossi . He was travelling and had a hand gun for protection against Italian American mobsters . The NY Slimes called his arrest a "warning to the Italian community" both "timely and exemplary "
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2022, 05:05 AM
    The following is transcript of a Tucker Carlson monologue that I saw this morning . I think he nails it so I will post the part where he links mass shootings to over prescription of psychotropic drugs .
    They're numbed by the endless psychotropic drugs that are handed out in every school in the country by crackpots posing as counselors and of course, they're angry. They know that their lives will not be better than their parents. They'll be worse. That's all but guaranteed. They know that. They're not that stupid and yet, the authorities in their lives, mostly women, never stops lecturing them about their so-called privilege. You're male. You're privileged. Imagine that. Try to imagine an unhealthier, unhappier life than that

So, a lot of young men in America are going nuts. Are you surprised? And by the way, a shockingly large number of them have been prescribed psychotropic drugs by their doctors, SSRI or antidepressants and that would include quite a few mass shooters and keep in mind, again, these drugs are meant to prevent crazy behavior and yet there seems to be a connection.

Eric Harris, the columbine killer was on Zoloft and Luvox. A year earlier, a 15-year-old called Kip Kinkel shot his parents and dozens of classmates. He was on Prozac. In 2005, a 16-year-old called Jeff Weise killed his grandfather and ten kids in Minnesota. He was on Prozac, too. So was 27-year-old Steven Kazmierczak who murdered six people at Northern Illinois University. In 2012, you may recall when 25-year-old James Holmes walked into a movie theater and shot 82 people. He was on Zoloft.

The list goes on and on and on and on. It includes the shooter at the Washington Navy Yard in 2013. That would be 34-year-old Aaron Alexis. It also includes Dylan Roof. He's the 21-year-old who shot up the church in Charleston. Now, he was apparently a racist, and we've heard a lot about that. Fine, but we've heard next to nothing about the fact that he was taking SSRIs, he and many, many others. You're not supposed to notice, but some have.

The Journal of Political Psychology once assembled a list of dozens more mass killings, all committed by young people, young men on prescription drugs. So, is there a connection? Well, we don't know definitively. We do know there are a whole lot more of these drugs being taken by kids than ever before and by the entire population. Who's not taking some prescription medication at this point? Between 1991 and 2018, total SSRI prescriptions in the United States rose by more than 3,000%. 3,000%!

3,000% of anything is a massive change. You don't see changes like that, but the point of this change was to make Americans calmer, saner, happier. Take these drugs and your problems will go away. Yes, you will become numb. You will lose part of yourself. You no longer experience deep joy. You'll become part robot, but at least you won't want to kill yourself or harm other people. That was the promise.

3,000%. Did it work? Let's see. Over the very same period, the suicide rate in the United States jumped by 35%. Did it work? Well, millions of people got on anti-suicide drugs and we wound up with many more suicides. So, maybe it's not working. Is it possible it's making the problem worse, you think? Well, let's see. Mass shootings also increased dramatically over the very same period. Here's a chart that shows it. Now the halfwits on Twitter always scream the same thing. Correlation is not causation. All right. Whatever that means, but tell us, halfwits. What is going on exactly? What does that chart mean?

We know that SSRIs are dangerous. It says so right on the label. They increase "the risk of anxiety, agitation, irritability, hostility, aggressiveness, impulsivity and mania." Oh, not a big deal. That's not causation. Then what is it? According to one meta study by the FDA, young people who've been prescribed SSRI have an increased rate of suicide. Oh, wait. More suicides? Weren't they supposed to reduce suicide, but we're getting more suicide? Let's stop right there, but we're not stopping. We're accelerating.

Between 2015 and 2019, the use of SSRI drugs by teens in the United States rose by nearly 40%. So, it's not working? Let's do a whole lot more of it.

This seems like a massive and extremely obvious problem, extremely obvious. People aren't themselves. They're taking drugs that appear to be causing the behavior that drugs are designed to prevent. Why don't they talk about this on TV? Oh, let's see. In 2020, the pharmaceutical industry spent more than $4.5 billion advertising on national television in this country. Now, how much is that? Well, to put it in some context, Pfizer spent more on advertising in 2020 than it did on research and development.

But it wasn't a bad decision. It was a great decision. Pfizer's revenue doubled last year to more than $81 billion. Now, how do they do that? Well, the ad campaign paid off. It helped convince politicians to require the entire population take Pfizer products, products that don't work as advertised, that have killed large numbers of people and whose side effects are indemnified against lawsuits by the United States Congress. That's quite a business model. You might think it could be a subject of a media story, but no. No stories on Pfizer. They're paid to be fanboys of Pfizer. Therefore, they are.

Here's a tweet, for example, from CNBC, which is ostensibly a news organization and we're quoting, "Pfizer is uniquely positioned to advance MRNA, which could be a breakthrough for other infectious diseases, genetic diseases and cancer. (Paid post for Pfizer) #ad." It was on their Twitter account, a news organization. They're admitting it's a paid post for Pfizer. But in CNBC's defense, they're not alone. Pretty much all the news coverage you see in the United States is a paid post for Pfizer.

Oh, it's all brought to you by Pfizer. Now, why is that? Because TV channels don't prescribe drugs. Doctors do. So, why would Pfizer, a drug company, be advertising on television? Well, we're not sure the answer. Let's put it this way. Don't hold your breath waiting for CNN or Good Morning America to do a hard-hitting investigative piece on the potential connection between prescription drugs and violence. Probably not going to happen since they sponsor those channels. They're going to keep telling you it's all about guns. It's all about guns.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2022, 05:23 AM
    Seems like a chicken/egg question. People are depressed or anxious, so they take prescription meds. Then they go out and shoot people. Was it because they were depressed/anxious, or was it because of the pills?

The first paragraph was right on target. I have thought a lot recently of what we tell our boys now. I was raised on inspiring stories about the Alamo, or Normandy, or R.E. Lee, or the Union troops at Fredericksburg, or A. Lincoln. These were stories about men of real courage with the idea that I should become a man of real courage someday. I never felt a sense of shame for being male and white. Boys should be told about M.L. King and Churchill. Statues should be left alone. We should tell them that they are boys and that being male is a good thing, and that they need to grow up to become good husbands and fathers, able to defend their families if need be.

Sadly, now we tell them that they probably aren't boys to begin with. We need to listen to Jordan Peterson more. He teaches that boys should become dangerous (monsters!), but with an accompanying ability to control that power.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2022, 06:03 AM
    Today's words of wisdom comes from the Goracle on 'Meet the Press ' .

"You know, the climate deniers are really in some ways similar to all of those almost 400 law enforcement officers in Uvalde, Texas, who were waiting outside an unlocked door while the children were being massacred"... "They heard the screams, they heard the gunshots, and nobody stepped forward."

Uber Member

Aug 17, 2022, 08:18 AM
    Well go figure. Turns out those armed security guards work after all!

"After watching how the Uvalde tragedy unfolded-- I wanted you to know how thankful I am that you did not hesitate to run into that locker room for those girls. I wanted you to see that scared 13-year-old turned into an incredible young lady who is living her life to the fullest. Thank you for thinking of her first on that scary day. You are always in my prayers," O'Neal wrote to Morrow, according to photos of the letter posted by the sheriff’s office.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/alabama-s...an-9-years-ago
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2022, 03:23 PM
    And look how a security guard worked yet again. Amazing!

A school police officer in Jacksonville shot an ax-wielding man who tried and failed to enter an elementary school after police caught up with him, and he refused to drop his weapon.
    Duval County Superintendent Dr. Diana Greene told News 4 Jax that the incident occurred around 2:48 p.m. on Friday, and Ruth N. Upson Elementary School went into lockdown when the man approached the school. A school safety assistant initially turned the man back and followed him a short distance but did not leave the campus in order to ensure that the school remained secure, Burton told reporters.
    "Police officers from the Duval County School Police Department were on the way. As the subject then left the school, he made his way towards a church where he was then encountered by the police officers," DCPS Police Chief Greg Burton said.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-s...mentary-school
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2022, 02:13 AM
    It serves the left's political purpose to have school shootings. Clearly there are deterrence to prevent them .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Elementary statistics [ 1 Answers ]

1. Construct a confidence interval to be used for testing the claim college students have a mean greater than 100 and you want the test conducted with a 0.01 significance level. What is the level for the confidence interval?

Elementary math [ 1 Answers ]

2+2=

Elementary homework [ 1 Answers ]

How may ways could you order exactly 40 light bulbs

Elementary Education [ 3 Answers ]

Call anyone tell me all they know about Elementary Education? Please it is for a project thank you. :)

View more questions Search