Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2022, 12:44 PM
    There really are some subjects that should be approached with a holistic and pragmatic outlook rather than merely opposing everything the other political party has to say.
    here here ! However there is not a state in the nation that does not have gun restrictions . If the starting point is to disarm Americans ;it is not going to happen. And don't listen to Clueless demagogue the issue by comparing it to hunting deer in Kevlar .Hunting is only one of the many reasons to own guns. The 2nd amendment was added to address our God given right to self defense .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 26, 2022, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Hunting is only one of the many reasons to own guns. The 2nd amendment was added to address our God given right to self defense .
    Why would anyone want to kill one of God's beautiful creatures like a deer, just for fun?

Why do we need to defend ourselves? Guns aren't the answer.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 26, 2022, 12:50 PM
    Thus, we need more mental health assistance. And parenting classes. And two-parent families where the parents are responsible and worthy.
    Did we have all of that 50 years ago when these occurrences were comparatively rare? What has changed since then?

Why don't schools have locked metal exit and entrance doors?
    Because people need to go in and out of the school building many, many times a day. Schools are now more and more going to one way in and out with a security guard at the door, but many of the 130,000 or so public school campuses cannot be converted to that design. The last school I worked at was one of those.

I still wonder why this is so frequent now but was not frequent fifty years ago.
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2022, 12:52 PM
    Why would anyone want to kill one of God's beautiful creatures like a deer, just for fun?
    If you have eaten venison steaks before you would not have asked that question. Deer are over populated in most sections of the country because we culled their natural predators .

Why do we need to defend ourselves? Welcome to utopia that imaginary world in the mind . You live and Chi-town and have to ask that question :?:
    Uber Member

May 26, 2022, 12:56 PM
    BTW, pretty sure you got the story wrong on the Ukrainians in the basement. They were not shot by Russian troops. The likelihood is that the building was bombed. Doesn't make it any less tragic, but it does point out that guns were not the issue.

Deer are over populated in most sections of the country because we culled their natural predators .
    That is absolutely true here. People have to realize that all deer are going to die. The only question is how. I don't hunt, but I know people who do. Hunting is generally good for the deer population as it keeps the numbers down which is important.
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2022, 01:00 PM
    but it does point out that guns were not the issue. and neither was it in Oklahoma city or on 9-11 . To my knowlege fertilizer and box cutters were not banned after .
    Uber Member

May 26, 2022, 01:44 PM
    but it does point out that guns were not the issue
    Correct. It seems that being careless with the truth is fine as long as it fits into the narrative.
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2022, 01:57 PM
    My answer would be for doors locked to the outside but for fire safety doors should be able to be opened from the inside . Anyone who wants access to the building must pass through security .

School shootings are almost non-existent in Israel where security concerns are much more critical and complicated . Schools are not secure in this country because of a myopic obsession with this belief that banning guns will keep people safe .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 26, 2022, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    You live and Chi-town and have to ask that question :?:
    No, I don't live in Chicago.
    Uber Member

May 26, 2022, 03:58 PM
    Turns out there was no armed security on the school campus when the shooter arrived. He stood outside, as I understand it, for several minutes shooting some rounds at the school. He then found an unlocked door in the rear of the campus and entered a fourth grade classroom where he did, it seems, most if not all of the killing. I really wonder what happened in those minutes when he was shooting but not yet in the building. Our old school could get locked down in less than a minute, so I am puzzled at some of this. The police initially entered the building, but when they were fired on they pulled back, took cover, and asked for more help.

So it just seems that there could have been better preparation and reaction. When I was a principal, I decided it would be nice to be armed and well-trained. Even at that, it just seems that our values in this country have sunk to a very low place. We kill hundreds of thousands of unborn children without so much as a blink of the eye. We kill on video games (graphically!) and see people killed on television and movies in ways that look completely realistic. Church attendance is the lowest it's been in perhaps the history of the country. Combine all of that with the availability of guns and you have trouble.
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2022, 04:33 PM
    I'm hoping it was a breakdown in protocol . Standing around for 40 minutes even if there was not another shot is unconscionable .In that time I'm betting a wounded child died. Now I hear the cops were playing crowd control keeping parents from taking action , It included cuffing a mom and tasering a father .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 26, 2022, 05:38 PM
    Uber Member

May 26, 2022, 06:23 PM
    That is not being done with women seeking abortions in most places. It varies from state to state. The same is true of people making gun purchases. The man's tweet might could be taken seriously if he knew what he was talking about. His description of an ultrasound is ridiculous. The typical sonogram is not done in that manner. Most women don't drive long distances since most states have multiple facilities which can be driven to in a fairly short time period. So his claims are just absurdly stupid. They are typical of what I stated above. It is easier to believe the convenient rather than to believe the truth.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 26, 2022, 06:40 PM
    State laws in a number of states regarding abortion will become more and more restrictive.

I notice you ragged on the abortion part (apparently you've never been pregnant) but didn't say a word about stricter gun laws and regulations.
    Uber Member

May 26, 2022, 07:05 PM
    Tell me which more restrictive gun law would prevent these shootings. Also tell us how well the very restrictive gun laws in Chicago are working.

The man made up nonsense about abortion and then compared that to gun purchases. Why didn’t you see that?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 26, 2022, 07:36 PM
    Read only the gun restriction section.

How would YOU fix this?
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2022, 04:08 AM
    I have no problem with some of the suggestions like mandatory waiting periods ,more rigorous background checks .

Parental permission does not apply because only legal adults can buy guns now . There is no state that allows minors to purchase guns . Here are the Federal Guidelines

Under the Gun Control ACT (GCA) , shotguns and rifles, and ammunition for shotguns or rifles may be sold only to individuals 18 years of age or older. All firearms other than shotguns and rifles, and all ammunition other than ammunition for shotguns or rifles may be sold only to individuals 21 years of age or older. Licensees are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA regardless of state or local law. However, if state law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age for the purchase or disposition of firearms, the licensee must observe the higher age requirement
    [18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1) and (b)(2); 27 CFR 478.99(b)] These guidelines were reviewed in April of this year .

Most of the rest are nonsense . The vast majority of gun purchases are not for the purpose of committing murder whereas every single abortion does .
    Uber Member

May 27, 2022, 05:03 AM
    The unanswered question.
    Tell me which more restrictive gun law would prevent these shootings.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2022, 05:15 AM
    How would I "fix it"? I don't think it can be "fixed" in the sense of preventing all mass shootings, but this would help.

1. Place the Ten Commandments back on the schoolhouse walls. (Would have to be state by state.)
    2. Have all schools begin the day with this prayer. "Almighty God, we acknowledge our dependence upon You, and we ask for Your blessings upon us, our parents, our teachers and our country." (Again, would have to be state by state.)
    3. Provide armed and well trained security for all schools.
    4. Make school campuses as secure as is practically possible.
    5. Return to the two-parent family.
    6. Make divorce more difficult.
    7. Stop the practice of abortion out of respect for human life.

Only the third and fourth items would do much for the present. The others would yield many long-term benefits. I don't think a waiting period for gun purchases would accomplish anything in preventing these mass shootings. A public service campaign encouraging people to report dangerous posts on social media might help some. It would have helped in this most recent incident.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2022, 05:56 AM
    I asked, "Tell me which more restrictive gun law would prevent these shootings."

The reply was, "Read only the gun restriction section." I had hoped she would have expressed ideas of her own, but nonetheless I pulled these from the poorly thought out tweet.

1. Mandatory waiting period. Won't hurt but won't prevent mass shootings at all.
    2. Parental permission. Completely stupid suggestion.
    3. Note from doctor. Ridiculous.
    4. Ultrasound with wand up rectum. Huh?
    5. Only one gun store per state. Ridiculous.
    6. Walk through a "gauntlet" of protestors to buy a gun. If the anti-gun lobby wants to do that, then they are free to do it. So far they have not done so, and I doubt they have the courage to do it.

I'll add one more to my list above. Do more to prevent people with serious mental illness from buying a gun. I'm not sure how that can be done, but if something workable is possible, then I'd be all for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Elementary statistics [ 1 Answers ]

1. Construct a confidence interval to be used for testing the claim college students have a mean greater than 100 and you want the test conducted with a 0.01 significance level. What is the level for the confidence interval?

Elementary math [ 1 Answers ]

2+2=

Elementary homework [ 1 Answers ]

How may ways could you order exactly 40 light bulbs

Elementary Education [ 3 Answers ]

Call anyone tell me all they know about Elementary Education? Please it is for a project thank you. :)

View more questions Search