Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stars1477 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2022, 03:06 AM
    Understanding a condition
    So my roommate has a mental condition where after a set of stressful events in their life they devoloped this issue where their hand now acts on its own. It seems to argue with them and stop them from completing tasks such as eating, shopping, paying bills, simple hygiene and entertainment.

It seems to have developed a personality. It sometimes is violent to the roommate when it is frustrated. Never violent to other people.

They have seen a doctor and are going to attempt to get a second diagnosis but it was something along the lines of psychogenic seizures with odd/unique hand movements.

My question is does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

Does anyone know of a therapist or doctor that specializes in this in the California area?
    RandomPerson36 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jun 2, 2022, 06:02 PM
    Late to this, but perhaps your roommate might have Alien Hand Syndrome? Also known as Dr. Strangelove Syndrome, Strangelovian Hand, or Anarchic Hand?

I'm not very confident in this answer though because the condition is rare; I only heard about it after one of my professors briefly mentioned it in one of my psychology courses.

Alien Hand Syndrome is usually associated with other neurological problems such as a stroke, brain tumor or aneurysm, or after an individual has major brain surgery or suffers from brain lesions. However, there have been some case studies with individuals developing the condition after experiencing trauma. I'm not sure what "stressful events" your roommate has experienced, but if they involved a head injury or TBI, that could provide support for this.

The symptoms of your roommate you describe match some of the behaviors people with Alien Hand Syndrome have reported, though getting an evaluation/diagnosis for it can be tricky. Along with the rarity of the condition, diagnosing someone with Alien Hand Syndrome is difficult because it's a neurological disorder that displays observable behavioral symptoms that may be associated with some psychiatric disorders instead, which tend to be more common.

Anyways, I could be completely wrong, so take all this with a grain of salt. Also I don't live in California, so I can't really refer anyone specifically, but I'd suggest having your roommate see someone who specializes in neurology, or maybe a neuropsychologist or neuropsychiatrist, depending on the severity of their symptoms and what kind of treatment they're seeking. Hopefully some of this might help! I wish your roommate well!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A(n) _______ structure tests a condition and then takes one path if the condition [ 1 Answers ]

A) IF-THEN statement B) single alternative decision C) dual alternative decision D) sequence

I need help understanding why this happens! [ 5 Answers ]

I need help understanding this I am 15 years old and most of the time when I go to sleep at night my boyfriend stays on the phone because I have a tendency to stop breathing at night. Well for the past couple months when I fall asleep he has been saying to me I love you baby and when he says that I...

Understanding Men [ 8 Answers ]

This guy I knows blowing hot and cold, one minute he doesn't want to know and I don't hear from him for ages the next he's ringing and txtg me. Normally I'm always there for him but this time Ive not returned his calls and it seems to have made him all the more eager to get in touch with me but I...

Understanding men? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been seeing a lovely fella (usually!) for 8mths now. Im a young 43 and he is 30. Things have been fine although he has recently found out he has diabetes 2 and has had a lot of problems from that, emotional & physical. I have done everything to support and help him and always been there...

View more questions Search