Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2022, 01:50 PM
    I was just in Fla . trust me the women were not wearing that apparel
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 26, 2022, 02:14 PM
    There are Amish in Illinois. Check out Arthur, Illinois. DeSantis probably vacations there.
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2022, 01:32 PM
    SCOTUS will take up the unconstitutional student loan forgiveness in February . They deferred a lower court order injunction until they can hear oral arguments .
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2023, 04:58 AM
    SCOTUS heard arguments about Clueless Joe's unconstitutional loan forgiveness plan.

The administration argues that the 2003 'Higher Education Relief Opportunities for Students Act (Heroes Act)' gives it the power to forgive loans . That would only be true with a very broad interpretation of the language of the law. The act was passed after 9-11 to allow some soldiers serving overseas to have their loan payments suspended while they were overseas.

It is a big overreach and the administration knows it . Secretly they are hoping the cases get thrown out over standing issues.

Before they made their move both Clueless and Madam Mimi had admitted that the President did not have such authority . They did it anyway as an election ploy knowing it would end up in court .

Secretly I don't believe he cares about the outcome of the case. He bought time ;bought votes . If the case goes against him he will be quick to blame a conservative court and get on the reform the court soap box .

To the students who's expectations were raised by this promises ........hang tight 2024 is just around the corner .You too can be screwed again

"If it (the court) indicates that it doesn't think the HEROES Act authority extends to loan forgiveness in this context, this would be a signal that the court intends to constrain future applications of aggressive statutory interpretation by the Biden or successor administrations," said Andrew Rudalevige, a professor of government at Bowdoin College in Maine.
    Such an outcome, Rudalevige added, could have serious consequences for basic governance in Washington.

US Supreme Court doubt over student debt relief looms over Biden agenda | Reuters

Basic governance in this case means executive unconsititutional overreach
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2023, 07:27 AM
    Time to revisit this issue

SCOTUS is taking it's time to make a ruling .

Senate Repubs in the meantime have crafted a plan to actually deal with the issue of student loans.

The first of five measures is on the docket .
    BOM23392 (senate.gov)

The 1st 3 deal with transparency.

The bill above requires colleges to provide data on student outcomes and enrollment trends to the National Center for Education Statistics, which would create a database of this information aimed at helping prospective students make informed educational decisions.

The 2nd would standardize financial aid forms making it easier for the student to compare colleges .

The 3rd is similar requiring that students applying for federal student loans receive information detailing sample payments for their loans, as well as how long they would expect to be paying off their student loans, and what income they can expect to make after graduating from a given school.

The 4th bill cuts off loans for students who attend programs that would not result in future income suitable to pay back the loans., The government would no longer subsidize basket weaving degrees . The bill also limits the number of repayment options available . There would be 2 repayment plans ... a 10 year plan or a revised REPAYE plan which would be an income based repayment plan that allows borrowers to pay a monthly amount fixed to their income,with loan forgiveness after at least 20 years of payments.

The 5th bill would eliminate 'Graduate PLUS Loans'. These loans have been directly connected to the rapid rise in the cost of college especially after the cap on these loans were lifted in 2006 . Colleges had all the incentive to jack up the price of a graduate degree.

PROOF POINTS: No-limits borrowing for graduate school pushed prices up for all (hechingerreport.org)

House Repubs also have legislation on the table.

untitled (house.gov)

According to their press relief the plan would

Provides targeted student loan relief to those who made years of payments but saw their debt explode due to Democrats’ poorly designed repayment policies;

Allows defaulted borrowers to get back on track to repayment by giving them a second chance to rehabilitate their loans and enroll in an affordable repayment plan;

Ends the Biden administration’s student loan scam and prevents ED from issuing costly and expansive regulations, including the President’s radical IDR proposal costing $276 billion over the next decade; and,

Ensures a smooth transition back into repayment by offering repayment assistance to borrowers in financial distress and requiring ED and the Office of Federal Student Aid to provide ample guidance to servicers.

FAIR Act Brings Clarity to Student Loan Borrowers, Protects Taxpayers | Committee on Education & the Workforce

I don't believe these bill will survive the legislative process . But they do offer a distinct different approach to Clueless Joe's forgiveness plan that does not solve the issues of exploding costs of college ,and would more likely increase the cost of college. These plans offer the hope of reducing the cost of college.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2023, 01:09 PM
    Had to have a hearing test today. The audiologist was telling me that people in her profession are now required to have a Doctorate in the field. The test she then proceeded to give me was fairly simple, taking fifteen minutes or so. I had the impression that a two year degree would have been adequate to allow her to do most of what she does in a day. She remarked that it took 8 years for her to get licensed and that she is carrying a load of debt because of that. So it just seems to me that a wagon load of common sense would solve a lot of these problems.
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2023, 03:55 PM
    yes credentialism is a huge problem It is a form of exclusionism . There are many professions that require unnecessary degrees ,licenses etc. to limit the number of people in the profession . I have commented ae few times about how something simple like a medallion to be permitted to drive a taxi keeps people from fulfilling their American dream.

Clearly this is the case with your hearing test ;something a technician could probably do without a doctorate .

I can certainly sympathize with her predicament and still oppose the government subsidizing her doctorate ;effectively driving up the costs of other degrees because of the market distortions the subsidies create .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loan "Forgiveness"? [ 10 Answers ]

Saw this posted on Facebook. "Student loans are preventing people from buying homes, starting businesses, and so much more. Forgiving student loan debt and making college affordable and accessible can fix our broken system." Something seems funny about this subject. No one ever says, "Hey,...

How to account for loan forgiveness? [ 1 Answers ]

If you have a $300 million dollar loan with 6% interest over 25 years and at the end of 15 years the loan and accumulated interest will be forgiven, how would you account for it at the end of the 15th year?

Loan forgiveness for accounting. [ 0 Answers ]

Is there a loan forgiveness for someone like me with an accounting degree? If there is, where to look and how do I go about getting this loan forgiveness?

Loan forgiveness-non profit [ 7 Answers ]

I read about a new Bill being passed for after 10 years.. using direct loan consolidation and paying on the income contingent plan you can get forgiveness of whatever else is owed on public and no nprofit degrees? What are your ideas of this plan... with the extra interest on the income contingent...

View more questions Search