Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mohan108 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2022, 12:31 AM
    Filing California State return when lived outside the country
    My mother has a US green card (permanent residency) and her US home is in California. However, she has lived outside USA the whole of 2021 (1/1/21 - 12/31/21).

On account of possessing a green card, she is filing her Federal tax return for 2021. Does she also have to file her California tax return?

She was also outside the USA the whole of 2020.

Thanks in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 15, 2022, 12:57 AM
    Having lived OUTSIDE of California for TWO years, she can legitimately say she has changed domicile away from California.

For this reason, California has lost legal standing to tax her income UNLESS she has maintained a home in the state to which she intends to return.

ATE
    mohan108 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2022, 08:20 AM
    Thank you.

My mother maintained a home (and other financial and residential ties) thus domicile in California. She has made travel arrangements to fly back this year after extenuating personal circumstances prevented her international travel in the past 2 years.

Is there a California FTB tax guideline stating filing State tax returns as optional if the person spent the whole tax year outside the country?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 15, 2022, 08:54 AM
    NO state in the United States has such guidelines.

If you LIVE in the state, you must declare ALL world-wide income and pay taxes on that income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

California State tax filing query [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a query regarding state tax filing for my situation. For tax year 2012, I was living in California for the first 15 days. My paycheck reflects California tax deducted for the first 15 days. I then moved to Texas and living there ever since. 1)My paystub reflects Texas state...

E-Filing California State return without spouse ITIN ? [ 2 Answers ]

I am applying for wife's ITIN number(not eligible for SSN) with this year federal return i.e.submitting Federal tax return along with W7 through mail. For State tax return, Can I submit California State return online(e-file) without wife's ITIN number? Looking forward to your replies...

Filing State Taxes as A California Resident Possible? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello All, I have been in CA over a year now and want to establish and maintain residency here. I recently filed a return at H&R Block and they filed my return using the Non-Resident / Part-Year Resident form. I would like to amend this and file as a RESIDENT. I realized each state has...

Filing CT state tax return [ 2 Answers ]

Does everyone have to file a state tax return?

Filing status different for Federal return and State return [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use a different filing status for Federal and State? I got married in October last year, but I and my wife were residing in separate states till early 2007. So, on Dec 31st we were married but did not stay together. For the state I guess we cannot file JOINT because of different states....

View more questions Search