Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2022, 04:33 PM
    Does the lifetime gift tax credit only apply for citizens?
    I am a green card holder and trying to figure out if I qualify for the $11.7mn lifetime gift tax exclusion.

I am looking at the instructions for Form 709 and I can't understand the terminology. It doesn't refer to citizens or permanent residents but instead uses terms like "nonresident not a citizen of the United States. Would appreciate any help.

The term “citizen of the United States” includes a person who, at the time of
    making the gift:
    • Was domiciled in a possession of the United States,
    • Was a U.S. citizen, and
    • Became a U.S. citizen for a reason other than being a citizen of a U.S. possession or being born or residing in a possession.

A nonresident not a citizen of the United States includes a person who, at
    the time of making the gift:
    • Was domiciled in a possession of the United States,
    • Was a U.S. citizen, and
    • Became a U.S. citizen only because he or she was a citizen of a possession or was born or resided in a possession
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 10, 2022, 04:45 PM
    IRS Form 709 is the form for a Gift Tax Return.

It seems clear to me that you are NOT a tax professional with experience filing gift tax returns.

I have a very simple solution for you.

File an extension for the gift tax return. If you have NOT YET filed your personal federal return, then file Form 4868. Best to do this electronically so you have an acceptance notice as proof that the extension was filed. The extension of your personal return applies to the Gift Tax return as well.

If you have already filed your 2021 federal tax return, then download IRS Form 2350 and submit that form for an extension on your gift tax return.

Then take all of the paperwork associated with the gift tax return sometime in late May to a tax professional you trust and let HIM or HER prepare the gift tax return.

I say this because there are some returns that should NEVER be filed by an amateur. The GIFT TAX RETURN is one of those returns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lifetime learning credit [ 3 Answers ]

I'm on a J1 scholar visa and I'm doing research in life sciences. I started taking classes at NYU for a professional certificate in translation (to become a scientific translator) as an alternative option to an academic career. Would I be eligible for the lifetime learning credit?

Is there a one time lifetime exemption for the gift tax up to one million dollars? [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has $150,000 she would like to gift to my sister. She has never used any of her gift exemptions and will not be gifting anymore than this in her lifetime. Can she gift this amount at one time and be exempt from any federal gift tax?

Lifetime learning credit [ 1 Answers ]

[/FONT I have a church sister who has just finished a nursing one year certificate course at a community school. Can she take the lifetime learning credit for her education expenses paid to the school.

Lifetime learning credit [ 1 Answers ]

I have the following questions about LLC if anyone could please answer: 1. My wife was on h4 visa in 2008 and she did certain credits to obtain her professional licensure and we paid 5000 dollars in tuition but all courses were online. We have got the 1098T from the univ. Can we claim the LLC...

Knowing which credit bureau is being checked when you apply for credit/Credit Cards [ 1 Answers ]

Which credit cards use only the trans union credit report for their cc applications? this knowledge may help me save part of my universe>:D

View more questions Search