Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ConcFour1 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2022, 09:26 AM
    Wireless Internet Signal
    We live in Rural area that come Spring the Ditches are about to overflow and fields are just one big lake .. I Presently have HiSpeed DSL through Buried Cable that has been in the ground for eons now.. Problem whenever the ground is overloaded with water I'm on the phone to Bell to come and get my Signal Back.. Internet via Satellite is Line of Site to the nearest Tower, it's a no go, ground is not level and plenty of trees..

My Question and I'm Curious, Bell offers Wireless Internet.. I'm told the Internet signal would travel same as the Signal to my Cellphone (were strictly cellphone) here. A small antenna would be attached to the edge of the Roof with a cable running down and into the Modem.. Curious, I'm told they still use the Line of Site routine to find a signal from the nearest Cellphone Tower which is just under 4kms away by road with plenty of bush all around.. Thoughts Appreciated, Cheers Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 25, 2022, 11:22 AM
    Having deployed this type of WiMax setup in the UK in similar rural locations, can say it works a treat.
    This isn't your normal wifi, but on steroids, utterly unaffected by weather or other environmental effects.

That being said, and you mention satellite internet, how about Starlink from Tesla people ?
    Worth a look at least for comparisons sake.
    https://www.starlink.com/
    ConcFour1 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2022, 05:34 AM
    Curlyben... We did look into Starlink awhile back.. They don't serve our area, to use the term being a Proprietary Thing (??).. Rogers only come so far but not far enough as well... Cheers Thanks 👍
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 26, 2022, 11:58 AM
    Depends upon the cost and also the speeds they're offering. How good is your cellphone signal? You'll get 3G or 4G or 5G if you switch services?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Full wireless signal but no internet access [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new dell 1545. I was able to connect to the internet for the first few days. I have bought a linksys usb that has given me an extra bar for signal. I have installed a netgear router which has given me full signal but my computer says no internet access. When I click the bars it shows me...

How to pick up wireless signal [ 6 Answers ]

Pretty new with this wireless stuff and need help. What do I add to my work station computer to pick up the wireless signal from our town's wireless signal. One friend says router and another says wireless USB adapter. Once I have the coreect device how do I connect with it.

How can I get a wireless signal where I want it? [ 5 Answers ]

http://img.techpowerup.org/081123/Untitled.jpg Dad's router and main PC is at point A. I want to connect using laptop's wifi from point B but I don't get any signal. I only get the signal (and a very strong one at that) if I go to point C. However that's not practical because it's on the roof &...

Improving Wireless Signal [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Motorola E95 wireless router and the signal is OK and I can receive it in manyrooms in my home but I would like to increase the coverage area without a lot of fuss. I would appreciate any suggestions. While I am somewhat computer savy, I am not a tech-head. RBJ:confused:

View more questions Search