Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2022, 07:56 PM
    Sent money back home, now do I have to file a gift tax return?
    I sent my parents some money to help pay for medical expenses ($18k+ in 3 payments, directly into my Dad's account). He's not a US citizen. Now do I have to file gift taxes for those transfer(s)? Or is there no need?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 12, 2022, 08:36 PM
    It would have been better if you paid the medical bills directly, but you can designate half the money to your father and half the money to your mother, which puts the gift well BELOW the annual gift exclusion, making the gift tax return unnecessary.

ATE
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2022, 11:28 PM
    I should have clarified that I sent $18k to my dad for just the medical expenses and another $27k for some home repair and living expenses (they don't have a source of income), so in total its $45k for 2021.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2022, 12:06 AM
    Then a gift tax return will be needed.

No TAX will be due because the Unified Credit will cover any potential tax.

Had you paid the medical bills directly to the doctor or hospital, the $27K would have been covered by the annual exclusion.

If you need help with the gift tax return, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If you file separately on federal return, can you file joint on state return [ 2 Answers ]

We filed separate on federal return . Question is can we file joint on our state return or not >?

Withheld ny state taxes file a z ero return to get them back? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband works in NJ for an NY corporation. We lived in NJ for all of 2009. The corporation withheld NY taxes from his W2. When I file our personal NY return to get back those taxes, how do I zero it out to get the withheld taxes back? Do I put his W2 earnings as zero even though they have been...

Should I file a joint return with my husband in ny if my rimary home is in nj [ 1 Answers ]

I own a home in nj, my husband rents an apt in ny. Should we file a joint return in ny and is it illegalif we do?

How do I file taxes for a J1 visa? Do I get money back? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a J1 visa, I am a non resident allien working for denver public schools. I started this las September and would like to know what I have to do with my W2 tax form and if I will get any money back... thanks Carla

Would like to divorce but risk to return back home [ 4 Answers ]

I have met my husband on internet. After 6 months of dating we get married. We were living in Africa. After a month of living together, he applied for a job in an international organization in Washington, DC and got it. So he moved to the US. During that time I was working as an accountant in an...

View more questions Search