Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2022, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    There's a famous librarian on here. You should meet her. She knows boys that wanna be girls and girls who want to be boys or something like that. As for me, I want to be a table - I like chairs. And stories.
    They don't WANT TO BE! Ever hear of gender dysphoria? And aren't you the one who long ago lectured us that all fetuses begin as female and then around six weeks are "washed!" by testosterone etc.? And also (1930s-1970s) pregnant women got meds/shots containing estrogen (DES) to prevent miscarriage. What happened to that estrogen that flowed around in their womb as it washed over the developing fetus?

And now this thread has been disrupted and rerouted
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2022, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    And aren't you the one who long ago lectured us that all fetuses begin as female and then around six weeks are "washed!" by testosterone etc.?
    Huh? Who? Moi? I said that? I musta been washed in booze (or altar wine).

And also (1930s-1970s) pregnant women got meds/shots containing estrogen (DES) to prevent miscarriage. What happened to that estrogen that flowed around in their womb as it washed over the developing fetus?
    Well, ya got me there. In 1930 I was interviewed about that on Movietone News and I got hate mail shortly afterwards. I married one of those haters but she left me when she found out who I REALLY was (are?, am? Is?). Our grandchildren are all grown-up now and living on a small island in the South Atlantic on a commune that worships Isis.

See that "Isis thing? I (me, I) brought this thread back after you so rudely sent it off on another track. HA!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 22, 2022, 12:00 PM
    See that "Isis thing? I (me, I) brought this thread back after you so rudely sent it off on another track. HA!
    No, you did with your "There's a famous librarian on here" paragraph in Post #20.
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2022, 12:54 PM
    No, you did with your "There's a famous librarian on here" paragraph in Post #20.
    NOPE - wr-r-r-ro-o-o-on-n-n-g-g-g.

You said
    "And now this thread has been disrupted and rerouted"
    RIGHT AFTER you saying
    "They don't WANT TO BE! Ever hear of gender dysphoria? And aren't you the one who long ago lectured us that all fetuses begin as female and then around six weeks are "washed!" by testosterone etc.? And also (1930s-1970s) pregnant women got meds/shots containing estrogen (DES) to prevent miscarriage. What happened to that estrogen that flowed around in their womb as it washed over the developing fetus?"

HA! Let's see you get out of THAT one!
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2022, 12:56 PM
    So you want people to be disrespectful? Be honest now. Are you a wolf in sheep's clothing? A fallen angel? Or, or, or - the ARCHFIEND HIMSELF?

Does being the Archfiend help you get girls? Did you get that job through the New York Times? Benefits?
    I don't consider the "smile and nod" response to be disrespectful. I'm not sure why you do. It acknowledges the person, defuses the situation, and allows me to move on without responding in a disrespectful way.

It's a common and useful response to such things. Trying to approach him would likely be perceived as a threat, given the man's state of mind as he's screaming. Politely acknowledge, move on.

Not disrespect.

I'm shutting this off right now. No rabbit holes, please. I'm ADD enough already.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 22, 2022, 01:42 PM
    HA! Let's see you get out of THAT one!
    Please read the posts in order and more carefully.
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2022, 01:57 PM
    I'm shutting this off right now. No rabbit holes, please. I'm ADD enough already.
    Aww, just when it was starting to be fun!

I don't consider the "smile and nod" response to be disrespectful. I'm not sure why you do. It acknowledges the person, defuses the situation, and allows me to move on without responding in a disrespectful way.
    You say not disrespectful. I say cowardly. A little effort would go a long way to assuaging the poor man's difficulties. Like WG said but maybe a little less hyperbolously. She's a librarian so she can spell that word better. (Better than? Better than me? Correctly instead of better - yeah, that's it)

It's a common and useful response to such things.
    Common, maybe. Hardly useful.

Trying to approach him would likely be perceived as a threat, given the man's state of mind as he's screaming. Politely acknowledge, move on.
    Nah, more likely, the tears would flow in gratitude for someone who finally stopped to speak to him instead of just smiling and avoiding him. Christianity 101.

Please read the posts in order and more carefully.
    Try again. Read post # 24.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 22, 2022, 02:41 PM
    Try again. Read post # 24.
    The thread was on topic, until Athos changed direction --
    Athos, #20 "There's a famous librarian on here. You should meet her. She knows boys that wanna be girls and girls who want to be boys or something like that. As for me, I want to be a table - I like chairs. And stories."
    WG, #21 "They don't WANT TO BE! Ever hear of gender dysphoria? And aren't you the one who long ago lectured us that all fetuses begin as female and then around six weeks are "washed!" by testosterone etc.? And also (1930s-1970s) pregnant women got meds/shots containing estrogen (DES) to prevent miscarriage. What happened to that estrogen that flowed around in their womb as it washed over the developing fetus?

And now this thread has been disrupted and rerouted."
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2022, 05:24 PM
    You say not disrespectful. I say cowardly. A little effort would go a long way to assuaging the poor man's difficulties. Like WG said but maybe a little less hyperbolously. She's a librarian so she can spell that word better. (Better than? Better than me? Correctly instead of better - yeah, that's it)
    To each their own. The ones I've encountered would consider any approach a threat. Your Mileage May Vary.

And she knows she's not the only librarian here.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 22, 2022, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Let's have a Dewey Decimal duel! What's the Dewey number for the Bible?
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2022, 06:36 PM
    Hmm, that puts new light on her claim.

Moving right along: here's the context of that thread.

So you want people to be disrespectful? Be honest now. Are you a wolf in sheep's clothing? A fallen angel? Or, or, or - the ARCHFIEND HIMSELF?

Does being the Archfiend help you get girls? Did you get that job through the New York Times? Benefits?

There's a famous librarian on here. You should meet her. She knows boys that wanna be girls and girls who want to be boys or something like that. As for me, I want to be a table - I like chairs. And stories.
    As can be seen, there was more to the thread than was cited. The change-the-thread part was an add-on to the humor (admittedly attempted humor), not the meat of the thread. HOWSOMEVER, being the gregarious forgiving wonderful human being that I am, I have decided to humbly acknowledge WG's accusation and grant her solace and release and relief from any and all faux-pas I have made in the past, are making now, or will make in the future for all time and eternity.

The thread was on topic, until Athos changed direction --
    Athos, #20 "There's a famous librarian on here. You should meet her. She knows boys that wanna be girls and girls who want to be boys or something like that. As for me, I want to be a table - I like chairs. And stories."
    WG, #21 "They don't WANT TO BE! Ever hear of gender dysphoria? And aren't you the one who long ago lectured us that all fetuses begin as female and then around six weeks are "washed!" by testosterone etc.? And also (1930s-1970s) pregnant women got meds/shots containing estrogen (DES) to prevent miscarriage. What happened to that estrogen that flowed around in their womb as it washed over the developing fetus?
    Amen.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 22, 2022, 06:57 PM
    Are you okay, Athos?
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2022, 07:32 PM
    Are you okay, Athos?
    Except for the bump on my head when I tripped on the empty beer bottles in my driveway, I'm in tip-top shape. You?
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2022, 10:12 PM
    Let's have a Dewey Decimal duel! What's the Dewey number for the Bible?

220's, of course! What's the LC letter designation?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 23, 2022, 08:45 AM
    220's, of course! What's the LC letter designation?
    Excellent! I never learned LC, so had to look it up: BS345 A2E4 1663. I'm guessing there's rhyme and reason to that designation....

I just now caught your joke -- the LC letter designation for the Bible is BS. You just made my day!
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2022, 10:57 AM
    I worked in four libraries, two were LC and two were Dewey. I assume the "BS" means "Bible Study", similar to how BR is "Bible Religion" and "BT" is "Bible Theology".

But I could be blowing smoke, too. I never actually checked it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2022, 11:17 AM
    I worked in four libraries, two were LC and two were Dewey. I assume the "BS" means "Bible Study", similar to how BR is "Bible Religion" and "BT" is "Bible Theology".

But I could be blowing smoke, too. I never actually checked it.
    I found this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libr...logy,_Religion

Letter B is Philosophy, Psychology, Religion

Subclass S is The Bible
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2022, 09:52 AM
    Oh well, I like my wild guesses better, but as Peter Schickele said, truth is just truth. You can't have opinions about truth. (Boy, was he ever overoptimistic!)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 27, 2022, 10:08 AM
    I can still hear angels chuckling over your "BS" interpretation. I bet even God is grinning!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Last wll and testament [ 1 Answers ]

In 1999 my husband and I had a last will and testament made up. One for him and one for me. Nothing has changed as far as our wishes or assets. Because it was written up 18 years ago does it need to be updated or is it good to go the last will and testament for decades when your wishes and...

New testament [ 6 Answers ]

Were Jesus and King Herod alive at the same time?

Did God designate the Old Testament for Jews and the New Testament for Christians ? [ 4 Answers ]

If so, please give specific Bible refences to support your position.

Old testament with new testament hooked into 1 help please [ 5 Answers ]

Is there 2 versions hooked into 1?

Last will and testament [ 2 Answers ]

If you have been named in someone's will, how are you notified? What if the executor of the will just decides not to abide by what is written in the will?

View more questions Search