Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2022, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Well...yes. People are free to do a great many things that could make them sick and dead. Smoking, drinking alcohol, and sunbathing come to mind quickly and they are all potentially lethal. Are you suggesting we outlaw them? Should we require by force of law all sunbathers wear a measurable amount of sunblock?
    Personal freedom. How about wearing a seatbelt? How about lying to one's spouse? How about being a bully?
    Silly comment. If those "few people" don't want to get sick, they can get vaxed. It's all on them and not on the person who does not trust the vax.
    Vaxed people have gotten covid. People who don't trust the vax have gotten covid -- and died. We're all in this together.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2022, 08:29 PM
    Personal freedom. How about wearing a seatbelt? How about lying to one's spouse? How about being a bully?
    I don't agree with forced seatbelt laws. Last time I checked, lying to your spouse does not make someone sick and dead. Being a bully infringes on the rights of someone else.

You did not comment on smoking, drinking alcohol, or sunbathing. Should those activities be taken away from personal choice? How about the flu vaccine? Should everyone be forced to take it? If not, then aren't you allowing someone's personal freedom to possibly cause someone else to get sick and die?

I really wish you would address those questions. If you won't, then I'm out. Not interested in a one-way discussion.

As to your second comment, you seem to be suggesting that people should be forced to take a vaccine that is so ineffective that they could transmit the disease to someone else who has taken the vaccine. Not with you on that one.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2022, 09:00 PM
    I don't agree with forced seatbelt laws.
    Protects you and the seatbelted driver you crash into. (I used to be a Bodily Injury Sec'y for State Farm.)
    Last time I checked, lying to your spouse does not make someone sick and dead.
    Of course, it can!
    Being a bully infringes on the rights of someone else.
    And screws up the bully's life.
    You did not comment on smoking, drinking alcohol, or sunbathing. Should those activities be taken away from personal choice?
    It's been tried.
    How about the flu vaccine? Should everyone be forced to take it? If not, then aren't you allowing someone's personal freedom to possibly cause someone else to get sick and die?
    Hmm, are you? Many Christian Republicans refuse to be vaxed.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2022, 09:10 PM
    Oh well. You won't address my questions as I did yours. Saying, "It's been tried," does not answer this. "Should those activities be taken away from personal choice?" Nor would you answer, "How about the flu vaccine? Should everyone be forced to take it? If not, then aren't you allowing someone's personal freedom to possibly cause someone else to get sick and die?"

But it's alright. I wish you the best. Have a good night. Thankfully, Jesus is still faithful. I would just prefer you not answer someone else's questions.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2022, 09:32 PM
    Oh well. You won't address my questions as I did yours. Saying, "It's been tried," does not answer this. "Should those activities be taken away from personal choice?" Nor would you answer, "How about the flu vaccine? Should everyone be forced to take it? If not, then aren't you allowing someone's personal freedom to possibly cause someone else to get sick and die?"
    I honestly don't know what you want in response.

"It's been tried." You never learned about Prohibition? And smoking has been greatly discouraged by the AMA. You don't know that?
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2022, 09:34 PM
    Oh you do. It's two simple questions you have refused to answer.

"Should those activities (smoking, drinking alcohol, sunbathing, and sexual behavior) be taken away from personal choice?"

"How about the flu vaccine? Should everyone be forced to take it? If not, then aren't you allowing someone's personal freedom to possibly cause someone else to get sick and die?"
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2022, 05:31 AM
    My only comment is that seat belt laws comes with the PRIVILAGE (not a right)of driving a car. You get your drivers license based on the skills you have and the rules you agree to follow.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2022, 05:52 AM
    That's a good response, and perhaps on that basis the feds can mandate the wearing of seatbelts, but they could also mandate the wearing of a helmet and fire resistant shirt and pants on that same principle.
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2022, 06:50 AM
    The rights issue is going to be a lead issue in the Jackson confirmation debate . Look for the 9th amendment to get a lot of discussion. That was Clueless' ace card in the rejection of Bork (besides the personal smear campaign led by the swimmer )

“The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people”

That amendment is word salad subject to the possible broadest of interpretation . Most of the original bill of rights amendments were negative rights restrictions about what the government shall not do. This one alone opens the possibilities of so called positive rights (what the government must provide ). What the people retain as a right is open to endless possibilities .
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2022, 07:55 AM
    Also in the discussion will be the diabolical use of the 14th amendment's section 3 and the Dems attempt to use that as a tool to reverse the red wave coming in November .

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

This was a section to prevent former Confederates who had served in Congress from again becoming members . Under an originalist interpretation the restrictions are void because there are no longer any remaining Confederates alive. But under broad interpretations it could be used in conjunction with finding members of Congress had engaged in" insurrection or rebellion " or had given aid and comfort to a rebellion .
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2022, 07:45 PM
    Authoritarianism, sanctioned and justified in the name of public health and safety, is the enemy that the Canadian truckers were rebelling against .
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2022, 07:50 PM
    Well said, Tom.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2022, 10:27 PM
    Authoritarianism??? And had they all (along with family and friends) gotten seriously ill and many died while the "authorities" could have put helpful safety restrictions on human activity, how would they have reacted???
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2022, 04:13 AM
    yes authoritarianism “A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.” John Adams
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2022, 01:18 PM
    The Russian protest crowds are getting bigger and louder as the war is not going as Putin expected .

Fog of war

Unconfirmed reports of Russian conscripts surrendering and abandoning equipment without a fight . Unconfirmed report of a Russian unit that mutinied before entering Ukraine . They were there for training when they were ordered to advance. Evidently they were never informed why they were there . Unconfirmed reports that Turkish drones are doing a number on Russian SAM and tanks . Russia did not establish air superiority yet .Unconfirmed reports Russia has moved mass casualty weapons into the outskirt of urban areas .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2022, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    yes authoritarianism “A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.” John Adams
    A mandate to wear masks isn't encroaching on Constitutional freedoms. Masks are to be worn for public safety so your infected droplets don't make someone else ill -- or theirs don't make you ill.
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2022, 01:49 PM
    masks don't work except N95 and everyone knows it .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2022, 02:20 PM
    masks don't work except N95 and everyone knows it .
    And KN95. The authorities have made them easily available.
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2022, 02:31 PM
    KN95 is up to Chinese standards . That is my only commentary . No one who still foolishly thinks mask mandates are justified argue that only N95 or KN95 should be the only options . They are not inexpensive .A pack of 3M goes for a $1-$2 a mask .

BUT the real issue is that they are no longer ;nor have they been needed for most of the population. The mandates were always over reaction to the pandemic . It has followed a predictable course to endemic stage .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2022, 02:57 PM
    The mandates were always over reaction to the pandemic . It has followed a predictable course to endemic stage .
    And you would have been one of the first screaming "The government wants us dead!" when no one was required to wear masks in public and people were dropping over like flies.

There's no "predictable course" in a pandemic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm at a loss of words, and need some direction. [ 17 Answers ]

I started working a new route for a couple of weeks and noticed a very pretty girl that was younger than me. At first I thought nothing of it because, I'm a sales rep for a company that distributes at that store everyday and I didn't want to mix my social life with work. Than I started noticing she...

If I sell my partnership for a loss can I claim it as a loss? [ 1 Answers ]

I was in a llc partnership and we were taxed as an S corp.So every year each shareholder filed an 1120(s)k-1. The business went south and I sold my shares back to the other owners effective Jan 1st 2010. I had to pay to get out because the business was "upside down" and had a lot of debt. The...

Can I treat carryover loss as ordinary loss in the coming tax year? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I treat carryover loss as ordinary loss in the coming tax year?

Loss Deduction: Can a loss from an inherited residence be deducted for taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

Loss deduction: Can a loss from the sale of inherited property be deducted for federal taxes?

View more questions Search