Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harkplumb Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2022, 10:51 AM
    Which contractor should I hire?
    I have narrowed my choice between 2 roofing contractors to replace my asphalt shingled roof and I'm trying to decide which to hire. Below is the comparison:

*Both Contractors are well known highly reputable family-owned icons with equal number of years of service in the community.

* Contractor #1 is offering Owen Corning Duration shingles with 10-year installation warranty and a limited lifetime O/C warranty on the shingles for $10,950.00.

* Contractor #2 is offering the same shingles with a lifetime of shingle installation warranty and an O/C upgraded 50-year warranty on the shingles for $11,440.00.

I have read that extended warranties usually make money for the contractor rather than save money for the customer and Owens Corning, like most manufacturers, will claim a problem to be an installation problem rather than a product problem. So, the articles recommend hiring a reputable contractor that offers at least a 10-year installation warranty and pass on paying extra on extended product warranties. Since both of these warranties only cover the installation and defects in the product and have nothing to do with damages due to weather, storms etc. Should I go with contractor #1 or #2? THANKS.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 3, 2022, 12:02 PM
    I'd go with Contractor #1 for the reason you mentioned: "...extended warranties usually make money for the contractor rather than save money for the customer and Owens Corning, like most manufacturers, will claim a problem to be an installation problem rather than a product problem." Plus, Owens Corning might go out of business or change its name during the next 50 years, making the warranty invalid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trucking companies that hire ex felons intent to hire letters for cdl training [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in the process of obtaining a grant for CDL training. I need to find two Trucking companies that will give an ex felon intent to hire letters, so I can get the grant to start my training. I have one intent to hire now, but need two more.

How to hire and who [ 2 Answers ]

A backend of website wasbuilt for us by someone that no longer works for us. We have been told only he can make changes to this program. I find this hard to believe that this one guy is the only guy in the world that can make changes. Is that possible? If not how does one go about finding...

Sub-contractor / CONTRACTOR liability [ 1 Answers ]

We Had Flooring Installed In Our Home. The Company Who We Bought The Flooring Promised The Flooring To Be Glued Down. Instead Their Sub-contracted Foreign Installers Drilled Through The Concrete. Water Is Now Shooting Up Through The Holes Like A Fountain. The Company Told Us That The Damage...

View more questions Search