Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2022, 06:10 AM
    good news for a change
    Detroit has managed to see a slender reduction in murders and gun violence. Astonishingly, it does not seem to be the product of defunding the police.

In 2021, the city saw a 4% reduction in murders, a 9% drop in non-fatal shootings and an 18% declines in robberies.

White noted that upon becoming the police chief, Mayor Mike Duggan authorized 4,000 more hours of police overtime for each weekend during the summer. Another 2,000 hours per weekend were dedicated to drag racing enforcement.

In June, White implemented a five-point plan that focused on quality of life issues: increased police presence, parking and code enforcement, stricter noise enforcement, community engagement and trying to combat drag racing.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/detroit-d...ides-shootings
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2022, 06:51 AM
    sounds a lot like Rudy's broken windows strategy .
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2022, 08:29 AM
    Yeah. I thought about the same thing.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 12, 2022, 04:22 AM
    Yeah if they could just get the rapes assaults and auto thefts down they would be on to something. It helped the dumped the city managers as the emerged from state regulated bankruptcy. See also the safe neighborhoods initiative started by Dave Bing the previous mayor for the full story before you give rudy some creds for dems hard work cleaning up repub governing shenanigans.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2022, 05:49 AM
    Was it "repub governing shenanigans" that was responsible for decades of people leaving Detroit resulting in a catastrophic drop of greater than 60% in population and entire square miles of residential areas being bulldozed? Sorry to have to tell you this, but it was a string of dem mayors that did that magic. Can't blame repubs for that one.

"Dems hard work". That's a good one.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2022, 06:40 AM
    https://www.biggestuscities.com/city/detroit-michigan

I kept waiting for someone else to document my data, but they didn't, so I had to do it myself. Bummer.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 12, 2022, 06:49 AM
    Detroit's economy was devastated by job losses over decades like many industrial/manufacturing municipal bases across the rust belt. The repub gov bringing in managers and subverting elect officials added to the problem.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2022, 07:47 AM
    The repubs took over after dems has overseen a disaster and put the city on the verge of bankruptcy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

well that's good news [ 10 Answers ]

Opinion: Obama says goodbye to American hubris - CNN.com we will see an end to american hubris, if only it were so

Good news! [ 6 Answers ]

I got two messages last night from This8384. The first message that she was in labor at the hospital. The second message (shortly thereafter) was (and I quote): Romero Isaac was born at 5:01pm, weighing 8 lbs 10 oz and was 22 inches long. All is well - and she now has a boy to match her...

A break is a change, and change is good.so why doesn't this feel good? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first time posting on this site. I have read some of the responses, and I feel this site is full of very caring people. I'm just scared I'm going to get a little obsessed and check back too often. First, my girlfriend and I have been dating almost 7 months. Doesn't seem like...

Good news or bad news are these doctors of their rocker? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, well I went to the doctor today concerning my miscarriage last week. Some of you may have read my post about having discharge and why the bleeding stopped (after only 3-4 days), well it turns out I am one of those women who can pass everything in 4 days. I have had an ultrasound...

View more questions Search