Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2022, 05:58 PM
    I'll give you the EXACT quote from his speech and not a slanted fact check

"I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

There can't be incitement when you are telling people to go peacefully
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 7, 2022, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I'll give you the EXACT quote from his speech and not a slanted fact check

"I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

There can't be incitement when you are telling people to go peacefully
    Then, after whipping them up for hours before that (as I noted in bold in my post), when advised to do so, he grudgingly threw out the word "peacefully" ONCE. I quoted that plea (???) for peace in my post before yours. Please read!!!
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2022, 07:26 PM
    “We have come to demand that Congress do the right thing and only count the electors who have been lawfully slated, lawfully slated. I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard. Today we will see whether Republicans stand strong for integrity of our elections, but whether or not they stand strong for our country, our country. Our country has been under siege for a long time, far longer than this four-year period.”
    Perhaps you can show us in this quote where there was a call for violence or insurrection?

He continued with the fighting metaphors:
    Even the biased people writing that article know a metaphor when they see one.

I guess we'll see as the investigation proceeds and if repubs can keep protecting this lying cheating out of control bully yet again.
    I guess this means we cannot count you among those who are waiting for the evidence to make up their minds?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 7, 2022, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Perhaps you can show us in this quote where there was a call for violence or insurrection?
    Too little too late. The insurrection had already begun.

Even the biased people writing that article know a metaphor when they see one.
    We teachers know they weren't metaphors; they were similes.

I guess this means we cannot count you among those who are waiting for the evidence to make up their minds?
    Good that you're waiting for evidence to make up your mind.
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2022, 07:59 PM
    Too little too late. The insurrection had already begun.
    In other words, you can't.

We teachers know they weren't metaphors; they were similes.
    Wrong. Didn't you read your own post? "He continued with the fighting metaphors."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 7, 2022, 08:07 PM
    In other words, you can't.
    Trump was trying to calm down the mob. He was too late. He'd already whipped them into a frenzy.
    Wrong. Didn't you read your own post? "He continued with the fighting metaphors."
    I was quoting the writer (Amy Sherman) and didn't change anything SO I WOULDN'T BE ACCUSED OF NOT POSTING CORRECTLY. The writer incorrectly used the word metaphor instead of simile.
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2022, 08:14 PM
    He'd already whipped them into a frenzy.
    Says you.

I was quoting the writer
    Are you confused? So was I!! And metaphor is the correct term. In the quote you posted there were both similes and metaphors.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 7, 2022, 08:24 PM
    Says you.-
    He isn't blind but still cannot see.
    Are you confused? So was I!! And metaphor is the correct term. In the quote you posted there were both similes and metaphors.
    Please list them.
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2022, 08:37 PM
    He isn't blind but still cannot see.
    Sez the woman who has no evidence.

List them? As the author of the piece noted, the use of "fight" was clearly metaphorical. For instance, this quote " and you have to get your people to fight. If they don’t fight, we have to primary the hell out of the ones that don’t fight," was plainly a reference to republican congressmen who wouldn't "fight" for Trump. It obviously is not referring to physically fighting. Understand?

Might add that, as I have said many times, I am no supporter of Trump, but fair is fair. You cannot place any great blame on Trump for 1/6.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 7, 2022, 10:17 PM

List them? As the author of the piece noted, the use of "fight" was clearly metaphorical. For instance, this quote " and you have to get your people to fight. If they don’t fight, we have to primary the hell out of the ones that don’t fight," was plainly a reference to republican congressmen who wouldn't "fight" for Trump. It obviously is not referring to physically fighting. Understand?

Might add that, as I have said many times, I am no supporter of Trump, but fair is fair. You cannot place any great blame on Trump for 1/6.
    You have no idea what metaphorical means, do you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 8, 2022, 04:50 AM

He was lying as he always does and you cannot discount his glee at watching the mob storm the capital according to his own people in sworn testimony before the 1/6 committee.
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2022, 05:04 AM
    I quoted that plea (???) for peace in my post before yours. Please read!!!
    I know that quote and knew it before you referenced it . That is all well and good and I agree came too late after the riot began. It shows poor leadership on his part and nothing else. The fact is that he in no way directed them to storm the Capitol . There were other agitators from outside organizations ,and I suspect inside the FBI .

I wont bother wasting my time to document all the times that the Democrats have used words like "fight " . One of my favorites was when Schmucky thretened a whirlwind would be released on SCOTUS justices . Or the time Maxine Waters tried inciting a mob to violence .

Rep. Waters on Trump administration: 'Tell them they’re not welcome' - YouTube

Schumer accused of threatening Kavanaugh and Gorsuch during rally - YouTube

So you tell me where the line is between inflammatory political rhetoric and inciting violence .
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 8, 2022, 05:10 AM
    So you tell me where the line is between inflammatory political rhetoric and inciting violence .
    A very good point and in this case rather moot.

The crowd on the day were certainly under the direct influence of Trump and could almost be described as zealots or fanatics.
    They were on the fringes on civil society and took everything that was said as gospel.
    While Trump may not have directly instructed them to storm the Capitol, the language was certainly inflammatory to the assembly.
    Context really is everything.
    One mans Freedom Fighter is another mans domestic terrorist or insurrectionist.
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2022, 05:23 AM
    Ben at best there were a small minority of the crowd that could be described as zealots or fanatics.I would concede to the word partisans for the rest .

Here are the numbers .Over 80,000 people attended the rally . Of those about 1,700 rioted .(other reports has the number as high as 2,500) So far there have been 700 arrests .
    BossMan

Jan 8, 2022, 05:26 AM
    1,700 of 80,000, sounds like the minority that we're discussing here.
    After all doesn't take a large number to produce such results.
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2022, 05:30 AM
    When the Dems supported the BLM demonstrators and a significant number of them peeled off and rioted were the Dems who supported the BLM inciting riots ?
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2022, 05:52 AM
    Who benefits ? Here are remarks by Madam Mim on the anniversary of the riot .

I highlight this comment :

"It is essential that we preserve the narrative of January 6th"

Speaker Pelosi Remarks at Moderated Conversation with Historians Event on January 6th | Speaker Nancy Pelosi

The narrative she speaks of is that this was not a riot but an “insurrection,” an actual “rebellion” against our country. Insurrection ,sedition are the legal terms . The numbers ....700+ arrested .Zero charged with insurrection, sedition,or terrorism. Most of those charged have been on trespassing and property damage . Few have had any charges about violent acts or weapons possession.. Had there been proper security at the Capitol there would not have been a breach.

When BLM protests turned violent in DC there were a phalanx of heavily armed national guard protecting the Capitol. Why were they not there on Jan 6 ? Because Madam Mim and the DC mayor refused their presence.
    BossMan

Jan 8, 2022, 05:59 AM
    When the Dems supported the BLM demonstrators and a significant number of them peeled off and rioted were the Dems who supported the BLM inciting riots ?
    Not as directly or blatantly as standing in front of 80,000 people and telling them to fight like hell and that the democratic election had been stolen from them.
    Context yet again.
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2022, 06:15 AM
    context is political rhetoric . I could bury this post of similar examples when politicians urged their followers to "fight " . What does the word mean politically ? It could be a violent event .It could be a heated argument .It could be involved in the struggle . It could be to make a determined effort .To oppose an effort from the other side .To endure . Even to avoid a situation . Your narrow defining is presupposing context .
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2022, 06:23 AM
    The numbers ....700+ arrested .Zero charged with insurrection, sedition,or terrorism. Most of those charged have been on trespassing and property damage .
    Once again we will see if facts have any impact on opinions here. No one charged with acts of terror and the FBI reporting no prior organization to the riot. Virtually no one had a firearm, and yet we are to believe this was some sort of insurrection for which Trump was responsible? It's nonsense.

You have no idea what metaphorical means, do you.
    You were wrong. I know it's hard for you to admit that, but you were wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On January 1, a company issued 10%, 10-year bonds payable with a par value of $720,00 [ 1 Answers ]

On January 1, a company issued 10%, 10-year bonds payable with a par value of $720,000. The bonds pay interest on July 1 and January 1. The bonds were issued for $817,860 cash, which provided the holders an annual yield of 8%. Prepare the journal entry to record the first semiannual interest...

On January 1, 2011,zee Co issued ten-year bonds with a face value of $1,000,000 an [ 2 Answers ]

On January 1, 2011, Zee Co issued ten-year bonds with a face value of $1,000,000 and a stated interest rate of 10%, payable semiannually on June 30 and December 31. The bonds were sold to yield 12%. How much is the issue price of the bond?

Issued 3,000, 8%, 5-year, $1,000 bonds dated January 1, 2011, at face value [ 1 Answers ]

I need to record the journal entry for interest paid on July 1 and record interest paid on dec 31. I am stuck

View more questions Search