Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2021, 06:41 PM
    Furnace keeps blowing after heat shuts off
    This started about a year ago. Used to work fine. Typically when my furnace reached temperature the heat and blower would shut off until next cycle of heating.

Now it starts the same but the heat stops while the blower continues which causes cold air to be blown out for up to 10 minutes before the blower stops. What could be the main culprit of this?

Is something shutting the flame down before the furnace realizes it? Could it be anything with the electronic thermostat? I'm not afraid to replace elements of the furnace but no idea how to troubleshoot this to diagnose the problems.

Thanks for any help.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2021, 06:30 AM
    I'm not an expert, just a "Handy Guy", but this sounds like it could be an over-temperature limit switch triggering.
    The cause can be several things--the easiest being a dirty air filter. At least this might give you something to start looking at.

If your thermostat is still calling for heat but the furnace cuts off, you might be on the right track with my suggestion.

Best of luck,
    WallyH

Wow, I just saw your post was 5 days ago! Hopefully this has been resolved by now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace blowing but no heat/ only cold air [ 3 Answers ]

The furnace that I have has the round thermos stat, when I turn it to 80 or up the furnace don't ignite, but if I. Go to the furnace it's a button to turn on manual, it start blowing. Now as the furnace is blowing its cold air coming out the ducks, an the pilot light is lit, what can I do?

Need help: Furnace blowing, but no heat [ 1 Answers ]

This morning I woke up to my house feeling colder than normal. I looked at the thermostat and even though the house was still set at the typical temperature, it was 10 degrees colder. The furnace seemed to be blowing cold air. So I turned the thermostat off so that I could go look at the furnace...

Furnace blowing cold air and shuts off [ 3 Answers ]

My furnace is blowing out cold air some of the time. I went down and took off the panel and turned the power switch off, then back on. It goes through the normal sequence to light the burners: The fan kicks on then the igniter switch heats up, it makes some clicks, then the burners come on. As...

Furnace warm but no heat blowing [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace is a gas hot air furnace. The furnace feels warm to the touch, and the heat pipe from the furnace is very warm, but the blower is not coming on no matter how I set the thermostat. Is it likely the blower motor or the thermostat? I can feel that the baseboard heater in the bathroom is...

Thermostat Calling for Heat but Furnace Shuts Off [ 6 Answers ]

I have a gas forced-air furnace 3-5yrs old. Honeywell setback type thermostat (set to "HOLDTEMP") My problem is the furnace seems to shut off before it reaches set point (ussually 4-6 degrees below set point) I changed the thermostat and still the same issue. If I turn the power off to the...

View more questions Search