Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 9, 2021, 10:54 AM
    Is this life so bad, or do we just want to live forever?
    Why has mankind always believed there's a perfect life after this one -- heaven, Valhalla, Zion, the Elysian Fields, the New Jerusalem, Avalon, the Promised Land, nirvana, Abraham's bosom, Aaru (the Field of Reeds), paradise....?
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2021, 12:35 PM
    Survival is the strongest instinct mankind possesses. The after-life is not always paradise. In some religions it is a regression (karma, reincarnation, transmigration) depending on how the individual has lived life. But it's still survival.

Speaking for myself, this life has been pretty good overall. Some downers but overall good. I realize that some have had horrible lives, and some long for the oblivion of death.

Maybe there's something better waiting for those unfortunates.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 9, 2021, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Maybe there's something better waiting for those unfortunates.
    I've had a good life. Thus, this life is it? There's nothing beyond this for me?
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2021, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    There's nothing beyond this for me?
    If that's directed at me (who else is here ?), I didn't say that. Read my answer again - this time put on your glasses or put the light on or get a seeing-eye dog that reads.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 9, 2021, 02:17 PM
    I did read it -- several times, with and without Mattie, my seeing-eye cat. Nothing tells me I'll be in paradise. Because I've had a good life, this is my paradise.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2021, 02:28 PM
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cookies+in...%3Dc2tCx9dGhkg
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2021, 02:23 PM
    That was "In Paradise" by the Cookies from 1956. They later did back-up vocals for Ray Charles and were known as the Raelettes.

If now (today) is your paradise, I congratulate you. Not everybody is so lucky.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 10, 2021, 03:15 PM
    If now (today) is your paradise, I congratulate you. Not everybody is so lucky.
    God has held my hand through several major surgeries, the death of a son, and a near-fatal disease. My life hasn't been paradise, though God has enabled me to turn straw into gold, to find His love within all those horrific situations. Now, being so much closer to death, I often wonder what is next. Or if there's a next.
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2021, 04:15 PM
    My life hasn't been paradise
    Because I've had a good life, this is my paradise.
    Did I misread your meaning in these two apparently opposite statements?

In any case, you have led an admirable life worthy of imitation. I again congratulate you.

And again say not everybody has accomplished so much as you have. Few have done so.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 10, 2021, 04:37 PM
    Did I misread your meaning in these two apparently opposite statements?
    I shudda put question marks after the second sentence,as shown below:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    My life hasn't been paradise

Because I've had a good life, this is my paradise???
    In any case, you have led an admirable life worthy of imitation. I again congratulate you.
    Thanks. I can diagram a sentence, can find a book for you in a public library, and can explain Maslow's hierarchy of needs or Carl Rogers' thinking on empathy.
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2021, 06:36 PM
    Thanks. I can diagram a sentence, can find a book for you in a public library, and can explain Maslow's hierarchy of needs or Carl Rogers' thinking on empathy.
    Yeah, but can you make a cupcake?
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2021, 05:24 PM
    I've had a good life. Thus, this life is it? There's nothing beyond this for me?
    If there is a God, and if he is a good God, (which I believe he must be), then leave it all up to him. Whatever happens after death, God will make it good for us.

Billions have gone before us, so we're not exactly the first ones to think about an afterlife. It's part of the human condition.

Live life according to your lights, and don't worry about something you can't do anything about.

Trust God.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Dec 12, 2021, 08:07 AM
    Why has mankind always believed there's a perfect life after this one
    Because they fail to see/seek the life in this one...aka Yahshua.

The man Yahshua, lived that life. A man born of Woman...the life born of God.
    This, the life of Yahshua/God is life itself.  There is no other life!

The reason people want to believe there is something better after this life???
    Because their thinking of the Nature of Salvation being foolishness.

How is it possible to live a righteous (only God is righteous) life?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cheated, she left me, but asked me not to leave her life forever? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, Basically we dated for 2 years on and off and she was madly in love with me, I never really fully committed to her and cheated on her twice with my ex (before her) girlfriend. She was devastated but still tried to make it work and trust me until just over month ago where she said she can't do...

Donated property to a city is forever when did forever become forty years? [ 8 Answers ]

The City of North Bay Ontario had been donated park land for forever. They claim forever is only 40 years can this be substantiated by an Ontario Statute?

Who wants to live forever? [ 5 Answers ]

Had an interesting conversation today about the advancements in medical science. The person I was talking to said that he believed one day he thought ageing could be halted. I said why would anyone want this? Living forever to me seems like the ultimate horror. And I don't even believe in an...

Can I live with this man forever? [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently engaged to my fiancé of 1 year and am beginning to wonder if I can live with this stubborn man for the rest of my life. The most recent altercation was only a few hours ago. Let me give a little background first: We are both students in a graduate program living together. I am...

View more questions Search