Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 18, 2021, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    If I was in business making huge profits well above costs ,I could easily sell slightly less than my competitors and grab a whole lot of market share .

I guess all American companies are engaged in this big price fixing scheme to screw over the customers they need to stay in business. Typical lib logic.
    You drop your prices, they drop theirs, and we race to the bottom of no profit.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2021, 10:20 AM
    Generally speaking, the less efficient businesses can't compete and go out of business. That's why you can't buy a Packard or Pontiac automobile now. Kodak used to be the number one camera company. Now? Not so much. The company does not even exist. Novel used to be a prime leader in computer networking, but now they do very little. The list goes on and on. It's the benefit of a free market. If companies are "setting" prices, then that's a violation of law.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2021, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Warren Buffett the Dem's favorite corporate sage said this in a comment that he made supporting government debt.
    Warren Buffett explains the simple reason why the U.S. will never default on its debt (yahoo.com)
    Buffet further clarifies his statement on inflation in a series of articles (Please forgive my inability to provide links here that I got by googling "Buffet on inflation")

As a citizen we deal with inflation with smart budget decisions, and buying choices.
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2021, 10:50 AM
    As citizens we deal with inflation, wars, floods, recessions, and tornadoes. It does not make those things trivial. And as always, the aged and poor suffer the most. It is impossible for a person to say they care about the poor and yet not take inflation seriously. That's especially true when it is all so needless as it is now. It all comes down to an appalling lack of discipline we are displaying as a nation.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2021, 11:23 AM
    Blast from the past

Uber Member

Dec 18, 2021, 11:41 AM
    Fantastic and very sadly true. Evidently, at that time, it did not occur to them that we would try and print our way out of trouble.
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2021, 05:58 AM
    Now if we can just get all of those filthy rich people to pay their "fair share".

Musk says his tax bill for 2021 was over $11 billion.
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/business...ver-11-billion
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2021, 06:14 AM
    <sarc> Not enough ! If he can afford to send people to space on joy rides ,he can afford to end hunger ! </sarc>

2% of Elon Musk's wealth could solve world hunger, says director of UN food scarcity organization - CNN

Elon Musk tweets he'll spend $6 billion to fight hunger on 1 condition (cnbc.com)

Me ? I would not give a penny to any UN agency . The UN is the most corrupt institution in the world .
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2021, 05:33 AM
    Got $465,000 to waste? You too can teach pigeons to gamble. I kid you not, The NIH is using tax payer's money for an experiment to teach pigeons to use "a monetary-like currency" to "decide whether to earn, accumulate, spend, or gamble tokens in a self-contained economic environment."

An animal model of gambling in a laboratory-based token economy - Timothy Hackenberg (grantome.com)

This was just one of the many creative use of money government wasted in this year's Festivus Report (airing of grievances ) at the Christmas holiday season compiled by Senator Rand Paul.

Microsoft Word - Festivus Report 2021.docx (senate.gov)
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2021, 05:37 AM
    It's what they do when Washington pols figure out that the American people have become so inattentive (to put it nicely) that they can borrow/print money head over heels in order to fund these programs. That and the ever complaint liberal media makes it all possible. How sad to see us just throw away things of such great value.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2022, 05:18 AM
    Big meat wasn't a big enough target . Now the blonde hair blue eyed native American wants to target big food .She wants to break up Krogers for some strange reason. What is Kroger's profit margin ? O.75 % .

The Kroger Co. (KR) Valuation Measures & Financial Statistics (yahoo.com)
    Expert

Jan 14, 2022, 06:47 AM
    Profit margins NEVER stopped boards and CEOS from getting filthy rich and staying that way.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2022, 06:54 AM
    I have no problem with high salaries for the big wheels as long as the opportunity is open to everyone. Most of us won't do it, however. It requires great vision and a serious education along with sixty to seventy hour workweeks. The average person just won't do it.
    Expert

Jan 14, 2022, 07:23 AM
    I'm a spread the wealth fairly kind of guy and hard work and a good education may not make you rich. That opportunity ain't there for everybody. Never was, probably will be.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2022, 08:01 AM
    Aside from the mentally or physically challenged, the opportunities are endless.

It seems to me that the "spread the wealth" believers don't follow their own advice. They typically don't spread their own wealth around. Did you volunteer to give part of your paycheck to the janitor? Why is "spreading the wealth" always what someone else is supposed to do?

I'm not jealous of their income. As long as it's competitive and legal, then go for it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2022, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    It seems to me that the "spread the wealth" believers don't follow their own advice.
    Yeah, most of us do.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2022, 10:19 AM
    And you know that how?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2022, 10:20 AM
    And you know that how?
    Verbal and written interaction.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2022, 10:37 AM
    With perhaps 1% of 1% of 1% of the people you claim to know about. Do you see why I would look at that with extreme reservation?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2022, 10:56 AM
    With perhaps 1% of 1% of 1% of the people you claim to know about. Do you see why I would look at that with extreme reservation?
    Oh ye of little faith!

What would you do with the money if you amassed a fortune or somehow came into a large amount of money?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Elephant in the pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

Help! My daughter's 20 year old, 3 level townhome has an elephant in the pipes! The 3rd. Floor toilet currently does not work and is shut off. The lower level toilet works fine. The problem is with the main level toilet. For about one month, immediately after flushing and lasting until the...

A man and an elephant [ 4 Answers ]

In 1986, Peter Davies was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University. On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully. He got down on one...

White Elephant [ 1 Answers ]

What's a good white elephant gift for a Christmas party? (Something that would be a hit, funny, wanted, etc.) How do I go about wrapping it and putting it in the pile of gifts to choose without people knowing it's mine?

Name of this book about a little elephant [ 2 Answers ]

Okay guys, I NEED to remember the name of this book... hopefully I can achieve this with a little help from all of you. It was a book I read in the 5th grade about an elephant... NOT Babar... it was a chapter book and I think the name of the little elephant was the name of the book and I THINK it...

Elephant extinction [ 3 Answers ]

What measures have been taken to preserve the african elephant population?

View more questions Search