Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2022, 11:26 AM
    Oh ye of little faith!
    Oh ye of little documentation.

What would you do with the money if you amassed a fortune or somehow came into a large amount of money?
    We do not have a fortune, but my wife and I do have more money than I could have thought about even ten or twelve years ago. We give heavily as do you largely because of the call of Christ to love your neighbor as yourself. But that is far removed from me agreeing to elect pols who, while they own three houses like B Sanders does, still want to loudly proclaim the virtues of forcing other people to "share the wealth" with others who, in many cases, do not want to work. And this in a time when the wealthy pay the vast part of income and inheritance taxes.

I have largely retired from feeling sorry for those who are sound of mind and body. They generally need to get off their backsides and start working sixty hours a week. Jobs are available all over the place, and especially for those who are reliable and know how to keep their mouth shut.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2022, 11:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Oh ye of little documentation.
    Certainly you have read and agree with Matthew 6:2.
    Jobs are available all over the place, and especially for those who are reliable and know how to keep their mouth shut.
    Would you be working if you were younger, married with small children, and covid had taken over the world?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2022, 02:57 PM
    Would you be working if you were younger, married with small children, and covid had taken over the world?
    are you kidding ? Fortune favors the brave these days . I would've loved to have the choice of opportunities there are now when I was starting out .
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2022, 03:28 PM
    Certainly you have read and agree with Matthew 6:2.
    Certainly I have and do. It makes no mention of the government taking money from some people and giving it to others, however.

Absolutely I would be!!!
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2022, 03:41 PM
    For I was hungry and you paid your taxes .I was thirsty and you paid your taxes "I was a stranger and you directed me to government housing , I needed clothes and you paid your taxes I was sick and you paid your taxes ,......../.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2022, 03:44 PM
    For I was hungry and you paid your taxes .I was thirsty and you paid your taxes "I was a stranger and you directed me to government housing , I needed clothes and you paid your taxes I was sick and you paid your taxes ,......../.
    So far the post of the month!! I laughed out loud at that one.

I will say that WG does seem to be committed to helping the needy. I do try and cut her some slack in that regard. Now in understanding the plain meaning of the Bible??? Oh well.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2022, 03:45 PM
    Certainly I have and do. It makes no mention of the government taking money from some people and giving it to others, however.
    You have twisted the topic 180 degrees.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2022, 03:49 PM
    I don't think so.

I'm still mystified why you would apply Mt. 6:2 to this topic. It speaks of giving alms in a non-showy manner. How does that apply to what we were talking about?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2022, 03:54 PM
    It speaks of giving alms in a non-showy manner. How does that apply to what we were talking about?
    Surely you jest.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2022, 04:54 PM
    Surely you cannot answer a simple question.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2022, 04:57 PM
    Surely you cannot answer a simple question.
    Surely you can go back through this thread to find the beginning of the conversation about "alms".
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2022, 05:04 PM
    Let me quote Scrooge the lib

"At this festive season of the year, Mr. Scrooge," said the gentleman, taking up a pen, "it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    "Are there no prisons?" asked Scrooge.
    "Plenty of prisons," said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.
    "And the Union workhouses?" demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"They are. Still," returned the gentleman, "I wish I could say they were not."
    "The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?" said Scrooge.
    "Both very busy, sir."
    "Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course," said Scrooge. "I'm very glad to hear it.""Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude," returned the gentleman, "a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?"
    "Nothing!" Scrooge replied.
    "You wish to be anonymous?"
    "I wish to be left alone," said Scrooge. "Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned--they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there."
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2022, 05:34 PM
    Walter Williams used to say that he did not know of any reason for one American thinking he or she could lay claim to the money or wealth of another American. I couldn't agree more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Elephant in the pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

Help! My daughter's 20 year old, 3 level townhome has an elephant in the pipes! The 3rd. Floor toilet currently does not work and is shut off. The lower level toilet works fine. The problem is with the main level toilet. For about one month, immediately after flushing and lasting until the...

A man and an elephant [ 4 Answers ]

In 1986, Peter Davies was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University. On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully. He got down on one...

White Elephant [ 1 Answers ]

What's a good white elephant gift for a Christmas party? (Something that would be a hit, funny, wanted, etc.) How do I go about wrapping it and putting it in the pile of gifts to choose without people knowing it's mine?

Name of this book about a little elephant [ 2 Answers ]

Okay guys, I NEED to remember the name of this book... hopefully I can achieve this with a little help from all of you. It was a book I read in the 5th grade about an elephant... NOT Babar... it was a chapter book and I think the name of the little elephant was the name of the book and I THINK it...

Elephant extinction [ 3 Answers ]

What measures have been taken to preserve the african elephant population?

View more questions Search