Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    traka Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2005, 09:57 PM
    Well, I suppose on the email attached message it could also add the date, of the last time the anit-virus software was updated !

:eek:

In reply to a previous post on this thread, yes I *know* anti-virus and firewall are 2 different aplications. But there have been some cases where the workings of 2 different companies installed have crashed or froze MS O/systems.

But when I read the bundled version of AVG with a firewall included, as a consumer I would like it all to work perfectly if at all possible with the 1st install of both applications. All the "tweaking" has been taken care of with the internals and shared DLL files.

The time saved doing it myself and IF there are glitches,better to just send a glitch notice to AVG and it's taken note of priority wise because one has paid up.
    Saves time and increases production because of not having to probe all day or pay someome to fix what has crashed because of probing !
    I am not in the biszines of discrediting other anti-virus and firewall developers, but I have tried many and prefer the simplicity of AVG and it's bundled Kerio Personal Firewall.

For example, you would not try AVG for anti-virus and a stand-alone Nortons Firewall, would you ?
    I don't have the time to test it either.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2005, 10:40 PM
    No it doesn't add the last time it was updated, avg updates all the time by default when you connect to the internet.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2005, 05:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by traka
    In reply to a previous post on this thread, yes I *know* anti-virus and firewall are 2 different aplications. But there have been some cases where the workings of 2 different companies installed have crashed or froze MS O/systems.
    Yes, its possible for software to conflict. But generally those coflicts are in the same type of software. And yes its advantageous to deal with one company (why suites are so popular).
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2005, 09:37 AM
    Pay for it
    Hi,
    My original message, posted early this morning, Wed, is not here. So, here is part of it again.
    I agree with ScottGem in regards to paying for it, also in regards to Business Emails not having advertising attached to it.
    I will be surprised if Grisoft.com continues offering AVG for free, after another year. But, if it has money coming in from advertising, donations, etc, maybe it will continue to be free. I support this site and the Antivirus Program it offers. I am able to pay the $33; and if you can't, then don't.

Business Emails should be in a "business" format, just as a formal business letter, typed, and mailed through the USPS.; but opinions vary. Opinions vary on everything!

fredg
    traka Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2005, 07:26 PM
    There also has to be a level of free anti-virus at a basic level because those who choose to not pay for things that are now fact of life with viruses and anit-virus measures are the one's probabaly most likely to get a virus if free anti-virus measures are not taken.

If these other internet users then bow out of having any anti-virus software installed due to having to pay, then the rest of the internet community will suffer in the long run because it is these groups that are more likely to get affected first,mainly due to ignorance and "can't happen to me" mentality or simply not understanding what is going on behind the scenes.
    It's like saying. "the internet is a Garden of Eden and there is no sin, everything is perfect.
    Yeah riiiight...

This is not meant to be in any way what so ever to put anyone down that looks for freebies when it comes to anti-virus software for free.
    It's fact, it's just part of the statistics and number crunching, overall, in my opinion.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 1, 2005, 06:32 AM
    Traka,
    You make an excellent point here. I agree that some of the vendors offering free versions of A/V may be doing it more to protect the Internet from people too foolish and/or stingy to protect themselves.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Apr 1, 2005, 11:46 AM
    Anti-virus
    Agree with Traka and Scott on anti-virus protection.I use Bit Defender on my main PC,which I tried for a thirty day "freebie",before paying for the program.In the long run,and this is just my opinion,those of us who pay for anti-virus products are helping these programs progress through funding.Yes,if you want to use a free version of product X,Y,or Z,so be it,but in the end if everyone said no to the anti-virus companies,and work stalled,imagine the state of your PC if there were no updates?

Yes,there would be advertising by the very big companies,but to me,that is'nt the point.Spending a few pounds or dollars on a sensible precaution is much better than crossing your fingers in the long run.

All the best,
    Nez.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best Firewall and AntiVirus Apps [ 20 Answers ]

I've used Norton Internet Security for many years. No virus, worm, trojan, etc. has ever made it to my PC. My subscription is up and I want to look at other options. Of course the priority is reliability, but nearly equally important is that it must not be resource intensive. 1. What...

Antivirus In Zip Format [ 6 Answers ]

Please tell me about download site having all good antivirus in zip format for download.

Firewall/antivirus [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if they like or dislike the EZ Armor Security Software that comes with roadrunner? I have been trying to look at reviews but can't find any. Also, can anyone tell what they think of Trend Micro's firewall protection. I currently have this for my virus protection but wasn't...

Antivirus... [ 11 Answers ]

May I get some advise, its about what is the best antivirus that I can use that won't make my PC slow, this antivirus will be install to a none network or no internet PC so that means I need a antivir that no updating require but if there is how can I update this antivir to a no internet PC......

Antivirus [ 4 Answers ]

Hi pals I'm confused about selecting the antivirus for my PC ,can u tell me which is the best antivirus and also the best among the free antivirus softwares

View more questions Search