Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2021, 05:44 AM
    the problem with mail in voting
    This is an extreme example but illustrative of issues that arise with the unnecessary move towards all mail in voting

This is about a Dem primary in the Florida 20th Congressional District, a safe Democratic seat formerly held by Rep. Alcee Hastings, who died in April at age 84. So a primary was held . Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick was certified last week as the Democratic nominee with less than a 10 vote victory. Nine other candidates split 25,763 votes

BUT

During the counting of the mail in ballots , 1,253 mail votes were tossed for missing the Election Day deadline.294 were postmarked before Election Day, meaning these voters probably assumed they’d done everything right. Another 708 had missing or illegible postmarks, so there’s no way to know when they were mailed. An additional 18 were rejected for wrong precinct or wrong party. The canvassing board rejected a handful of ballots from military voters and their spouses and dependents because the ballots didn't include evidence that the voters lived outside the United States, as required by state law.

Now what is a second place candidate supposed to do when there is a 5 vote count margin and over 1400 ballots in dispute ? He initially said he would explore his legal options . The he accepted the results . Most candidates would've continued to pursue recounts and court intervention.

It is a national problem . During the 2020 election Florida 13,919 mail ballots .Michigan rejected 20,480. Pennsylvania rejected 34,171 . and so on .

The Dems answer is to accept all mail in ballots without challenge for 10 days after the fact . That is in the HR1 that the Dems are hot to pass by all means necessary . No election victor would be declared for almost 2 weeks after an election. Now there's a way to ensure confidence and trust in the process ! .
    Voter ID for all ! Limit early voting to a couple of days before the election ;not a couple of months . End mail in balloting and only allow limited absentee balloting .Only the chain of custody ensures a legitimate election . Sorry ;the USPS is not up to the task .
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2021, 08:09 AM
    We need that red wave desperately before the liberal dems create so much damage that it will be extraordinarily difficult to recover from. Come to think of it, we might be there now.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 22, 2021, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    End mail in balloting and only allow limited absentee balloting .Only the chain of custody ensures a legitimate election . Sorry ;the USPS is not up to the task .
    Then I would be deprived of my right to vote. And my son would be too.
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2021, 01:13 PM
    No you wouldn't any Illinois resident can request an absentee ballot.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 22, 2021, 01:21 PM
    No you wouldn't any Illinois resident can request an absentee ballot.
    I'm not absentee (temporarily out of my voting district, as on vacation, in the military, etc.).

"Originally created to accommodate overseas military service personnel in World War I, absentee voting has since expanded to include all those expecting to be absent from their precincts on election day."
    https://legal-dictionary.thefreedict...bsentee+Voting

If you end mail-in voting, I'm out of luck.
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2021, 01:26 PM
    not true look up your state laws
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 22, 2021, 01:30 PM
    not true look up your state laws
    Read what I added to my post.
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2021, 01:31 PM
    never mind I will tell you . Your state has 'no special eligibility requirements for voting absentee Any registered voter can apply to vote absentee for any reason .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 22, 2021, 01:36 PM
    never mind I will tell you . Your state has 'no special eligibility requirements for voting absentee Any registered voter can apply to vote absentee for any reason .
    I am NOT absentee!

If I vote absentee, how would I do this?
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2021, 01:44 PM
    clearly you are not reading what I wrote . ANY eligible voter can apply for absentee ballots for ANY reason .in Illinois Your polling place could be next door and you could be perfectly healthy and still apply and have no other reason to do so. It is sometimes called no excuse absentee voting

Here are your total state requirements

1. Request your ballot by the deadline
    2. Receive your in ballot in the mail
    3. Return your ballot by the deadline
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 22, 2021, 01:46 PM
    Here are your total state requirments

1. Request your ballot by the deadline
    2. Receive your in ballot in the mail
    3. Return your ballot by the deadline
    How do I return my ballot?
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2021, 01:47 PM
    if you were out of the country how would you return it ?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 22, 2021, 01:58 PM
    if you were out of the country how would you return it ?
    I'm NOT out of the country. Again, how do I return my ballot?

In my precinct:

To Vote by Mail

• Complete and submit the online Application to Vote by Mail.
    • Once processed, your ballot will be mailed upon availability.

-OR-

• Obtain an official Vote by Mail Ballot Application by:

• Downloading the Vote by Mail Application from this website.
      • Picking one up from any DuPage County registration location.
      • Calling the Election Division to request an Application at (630) 407-5600, Spanish (630) 407-5608, TDD: (630) 407-5631

• After receiving the Vote by Mail Ballot Application, complete and return it to the Election Division as soon as possible.
    • When available, your ballot will be mailed upon receipt of the completed application.

The last day to mail a ballot to a voter is the Thursday (5 days) prior to the election.
    Voted ballot must be postmarked no later than Election day in order to be counted.

And what about all the other homebound voters, assisted-living and nursing home residents who want to vote? Vote By Mail.
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2021, 02:04 PM
    I gave you your state rules . You know the answer to your question . so why the game ? Absentee ballots get ,mailed .

You will then say that there is no difference between mail in ballots and absentee ballots . I strongly disagree .That would be truer in Illinois because to your state's credit there are actual safeguards for mail in ballots .But many states mailed out ballots to all people on their voter rolls requested or not.
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2021, 02:10 PM
    You fill out the ballot and mail it in. Why is this complicated?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 22, 2021, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    You fill out the ballot and mail it in. Why is this complicated?
    No. Well before election day, I call the election board phone number and request an application. I'm questioned as to who I am and supply verbal proof. The election office says I passed muster. I wait. The application comes in the mail. I fill it out and mail it in. I wait. A ballot eventually shows up in my mailbox. I quickly fill it out and mail it back the next day.
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2021, 02:20 PM
    Not sure what your point is.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 22, 2021, 02:37 PM
    Not sure what your point is.
    I'm not absentee (out of the country or even just away from my precinct on voting day). As a homebound person, mail-in voting is vital to me!

(Mail-in is different from absentee. Tomder claims they're the same. Nope!)
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2021, 02:40 PM
    Fair enough. But it’s not for many others, and I think that was Tom’s point.

What verbal proof do you provide?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 22, 2021, 02:46 PM
    Fair enough. But it’s not for many others, and I think that was Tom’s point.
    He said I am incorrect. I'm not.
    What verbal proof do you provide?
    My full name, my address, my birthdate, the last four digits of my SS#. And that's just to have an application mailed to me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mail In Voting Explained, for our American friends [ 209 Answers ]

Rated NSFW or Snowflakes Contains some rude words https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2744315465891636&extid=MUlqujdvp7oZvwA9

Problem Yahoo mail [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there,it looks like I cant send emails to other people recently!No email arrived in many peoples mailboxes sent by my Yahoo mail?Why?

VPN voting problem, help needed! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! Okay, so I got this problem. I'm trying to multivote on my currently coded voting system (Security testing) I've got a HMA! Pro VPN on my use, and I've been using Google Chromes incognito -mode as well as tried deleting my browsers history/cache etc, and then tried to vote multiple...

Problem with yahoo mail. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not computer savvy so I will ask this the simplest way I can. AT & T is my server - I retrieve my mail on Yahoo. I can't access my mail and I am having no luck changing my password. What do I do? Who do I contact?

E-mail problem [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently using Office 2007. I recently had a problem with my email password which has been changed. I tried changing the password in Outlook but it doesn't seem to work still. I use Yahoo as my email provider. I didn't have any problems until I cchanged the password. Please Help!!

View more questions Search