Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2021, 07:59 AM
    My Miracle Story
    Okay, here goes.

Backtrack to 1968. I'm 15, sophomore in high school, and I'm late as usual. My bike is a nice three speed 26 inch and I can really get speed out of it, which I'm doing. Without warning, the front wheel just stops. There's some kind of loud grinding of metal on metal, but I'm more focused on the fact that I *didn't* stop.

I flew over the handlebars and landed hard on the street. I have a scar on the point of my chin to this day from it, but that wasn't the worst. Dazed and nearly unconscious, I stumbled to a house and when I tried to ring the doorbell with my left index finger, pain shot clear up my arm into my shoulder. I knew something was seriously wrong. A very nice lady came along, saw the mess of my bike in the street and my stuff scattered everywhere, and put her day on "hold" to help me get home. She stayed with me until my mom got home to look after me. And I never even got her name.

Long story short, I broke the two metacarpals that go to my pinky and ring fingers. The doctor dutifully put me in a cast, but by the time I had worn it for a week I was done with it. I fidgeted, picked, and otherwise destroyed it until there wasn't enough left to do the job.

Bad idea! As as result, those two bones grew together and formed a large lump on the back of my hand. Worse, those two fingers now would not work independently. I had been a budding guitarist up to that point, but after my teenage folly, I couldn't even form chords for more than about 10 minutes without my hand cramping.

I did gain something, though: a built-in worry rock. As most here know, I'm severely ADD. Kathy makes fun of me because some part of me is always in motion, and when I couldn't bounce my foot or something like that, I fidgeted with my lump. When it got painful she would sometimes massage it for me, and the size of it always amazed her.

So that was my constant companion for 30 years. I learned to live with it, taught myself a technique for playing the piano that worked around it, it was a fact of life.
    Until one day when I went to fidget with it and it wasn't there. It had been there the day before, big as life and twice as ugly, as they say. Suddenly it was just...gone. I didn't dare to hope, much less presume. I went to Kathy and asked her to rub my lump for me. When she tried, her eyes got wide and she said "It's not there."
    Tentative testing showed that those two fingers work properly again, and I can play guitar again. (Not well, but that's due to lack of practice.) My hand can do anything it was capable of before the break. An x-ray showed two nice smooth bones, no evidence of trauma.

Bear in mind, I wasn't looking for this. I wasn't asking for it. The thought frankly had never occurred to me, my wonky hand was a fact of life and I was okay with it. So when this happened, my first reaction was abject terror. I found myself looking up totally intimidated and asking, "Where are we going with this???" I still don't know, but I've learned to live with the reality that God miraculously healed my hand.

I've talked with doctors, orthopods, physiologists, you name it, and nobody can come up with a better explanation. Several grams of bone don't disappear in an instant, that much we know. But it did. And the miracle is not just the disappearance and restoration of the bones, but the virtually instantaneous nature of it. There is no natural explanation that anyone has found to date.

So there it is, that's my story.

Regards,

Dave The Grateful
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2021, 08:42 AM
    We're alike in at least four ways.

1. Same age.
    2. Same strange habit. " some part of me is always in motion, and when I couldn't bounce my foot or something like that,"
    3. Both musicians.
    4. ADD. It makes reading a real chore for me, especially the Bible as I'll see some words that take me off on a rabbit trail.

What a great story. I enjoyed reading it.
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2021, 09:36 AM
    5. Both hopelessly in love with Jesus.
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2021, 10:40 AM
    Well said.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2021, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Okay, here goes

So there it is, that's my story.
    Thanks for posting it. It was very interesting.

I hope you'll be around tomorrow where I'd like to continue the discussion from your other post.
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2021, 07:00 AM
    5. Both hopelessly in love with Jesus.
    One item to add. I have a long ways to go with that area. It is certainly the goal of my life, but I'm not altogether there yet. Trusting God for it.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2021, 09:10 AM
    Thanks for posting it. It was very interesting.
    I confess I was hoping for a bit more..... ;)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 14, 2021, 10:13 AM
    I've been thinking a lot about this miracle, wondering if your diet had changed, if you started drinking juices that contain a higher acid content such as cranberry or grape juice or unconsciously changed your diet in some way that might have affected that lump. Having survived so many medical issues myself, my first thought was, "What was he eating/drinking totally different from before?"

Also, had the lump stayed the same size over the years?
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2021, 10:51 AM
    I've been thinking a lot about this miracle, wondering if your diet had changed, if you started drinking juices that contain a higher acid content such as cranberry or grape juice or unconsciously changed your diet in some way that might have affected that lump. Having survived so many medical issues myself, my first thought was, "What was he eating/drinking totally different from before?"

Also, had the lump stayed the same size over the years?
    In that order: no, and yes.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 14, 2021, 11:04 AM
    And I'm not saying it wasn't a miracle. I've experienced a few myself. That the lump disappeared in a nano second, after many years of existence, convinces me.

Has Kathy, with her medical background and knowing you so well, tossed out any possible explanation?
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2021, 12:02 PM
    Has Kathy, with her medical background and knowing you so well, tossed out any possible explanation?
    Nope. She was there and just as amazed as I was. There is no medical explanation. I watched a Dr. Mike video about a woman who drank an entire pitcher of black tea using 100-150 bags per pitcher, and her bones fell apart over time. I don't even like tea, so that couldn't be it ;)

I've had people ask to see x-rays, as if I would do that for a perfect stranger, but the thing is, it's a long time from 1968 to 2021. The doctor who put the cast on is long gone, he was getting up there when I was in my teens. God only knows what might have happened to the x-rays showing the breaks, but the truth is after that I never had any imaging done. By the time the lump had formed I realized my stupidity, but there was nothing for it but to live with it.

And then 30 years later God said, "Or not."
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2021, 12:29 PM
    See the other thread "God of Love" for reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I set a box of Miracle Grow on top of my table saw. The Miracle grow got on top of m [ 6 Answers ]

I set a box of Miracle Grow on top of my table saw and it stained the alumunium. Any way to clean this up?

The Kayla Knight story: Miracle at Whitehouse, Texas [ 18 Answers ]

Everyone should read this account of the healing of 11 year old Kayla Knight. A brain tumor that involved about one-fourth of her brain disappeared in answer to prayer in the name of Jesus Christ. Believers will be excited about it. Unbelievers will find their unbelief challenged. Google...

Can it really be possible by some miracle? [ 2 Answers ]

:( OK, I'm very tired of my friend saying I'm pregnant just because I'm a week late for my period... I HAVE NOT had sex but I did get fingered and my friend keeps saying he could have had sperm under his finger nails in case he was jerking off before I came to see him... I really don't believe her,...

View more questions Search