Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lugano Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2021, 07:36 PM
    How to bypass the remote receiver on a hunter fan?
    I have a Hunter Lugano Ceiling Fan #28111. The remote receiver (85661) is bad.

This fan has no external switches, pull chains, etc. It's designed as remote control only.

There are 9 wires coming out of the remote receiver. I know what 5 of these wires are doing. They are: (two) AC hot & neutral - input to receiver. (two) output for the light. (one) antenna.

There are 4 wires going into the motor - RED, YELLOW, GREY and PINK. I'm assuming one is common and the other 3 are for: LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH Speeds, as it's a 3-speed motor.

The problem is: Nobody, including Hunter Tech Support can tell me which of those 4 colors, go to what part of the motor.

I'd like to bypass the receiver and hard-wire an external wall switch. It has 2 controls - an infinitely variable light dimmer and a motor speed control, with 5 positions: OFF, MAX, HIGH, MED, LOW. There is only one hot wire from this switch, going to the fan (and obviously another hot wire going to the light).

If we can figure out which 2, of the 4 wires going into the motor are COMMON and HIGH, will the 4-speed external wall switch run the fan on all 4 speeds and off?

NOW, THE REAL QUESTION: How to figure out what the 4 wire colors, mentioned above (going into the motor), are doing? What's COMMON and what's HIGH?

Yes, I realize I'll have to run an additional wire from the wall switch to the fan.
    Thanks in advance, for any REAL advice.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2021, 02:42 PM
    Fan wiring
    I think it would be wired something like this:
    Name:  fanwiring.gif
Views: 138
Size:  9.9 KB
    It is probably a coincidence that the colors shown are the same as yours...I would double-check using an ohmmeter.
    Assuming RED as the common, you should get progressively higher resistance as you go RED-YELLOW, RED-PINK, RED-GRAY.

You'll know which 2 wires are candidates for the common because they'll have the highest resistance between them. Then hopefully something else in the fan will rule out one or the other and you'll know the common, and can figure out the rest using the resistance values.

Based on this diagram from a different source, the common wire MIGHT be the one with the highest resistance to every other wire, but no guarantees here.
    Name:  fanwiring.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  12.2 KB

So, using the diagram above, if you don't know which is common, make a resistance table:
    OHMS Brown Red Blue Black
    Brown - 108 133 369
    Red 108 - 25 261
    Blue 133 25 - 236
    Black 369 261 236 -
    Since Black has the highest reading to ANY other wire, it would be the common.

Since you just want common and highspeed, you'd take your common (once determined) and the wire with the lowest resistance to common. In the example above, that would be the Blue wire @ 236 ohms. (Whether that will allow the switch to select the fan speed, I do not know)

I hope this helps, but sadly I cannot be responsible for what might happen!
    WallyH
    lugano Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 21, 2021, 03:08 PM
    Wally,
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately that's not the proper answer for my type of fan motor.

What I discovered, is that these types of motors have 2 independent windings. So with the 4 wires going into the motor, 2 go to the 1st winding and the other 2 go to the 2nd winding. There is infinite resistance between the 2 windings. Both windings have similar resistance.

One of the windings REQUIRES a 5mfd capacitor to be in series with the 120 VAC input. Lets call that winding #1. By reversing the polarity (hot vs neutral) on winding #2, you reverse the direction, the fan spins.

To use either a universal remote receiver, with 3 output wires (NEUTRAL, FAN & LIGHT), or an external switch, that has a 3 or 4 speed motor control, here's how to do the wiring (The wire color codes I'm using, appear to be used on a variety of different motors. YRMV - USE CAUTION):

FOR FAN DOWN-FLOW DIRECTION:
    RED – WINDING #1 – NEUTRAL – NEEDS 5mfd CAP, IN SERIES
    GREY – WINDING #1 - HOT

YELLOW – WINDING #2 - NEUTRAL
    PINK – WINDING #2 – HOT
    REVERSE THE PINK & YELLOW POLARITIES, FOR FAN UP-FLOW DIRECTION.

Regardless of the direction you want your fan to spin, NEUTRAL goes to both windings, with the 5mfd cap in series with winding #1. HOT (coming from your fan speed controller) goes to the other side, of both windings.

You can get more info on this Remote Receiver Bypass, from the following link. Thanks to all that contributed to that discussion.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...ol-251496.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter 22549 ceiling fan remote receiver bypass [ 0 Answers ]

I have a hunter 22549 ceiling with a remote however I want to run the fan without the remote. I have a switch on the wall with speed control (low, medium, high) and a switch for the light. When I looked in the housing of the fan and once I removed the receiver the only wires remaining were a black,...

Rewire hunter 23457 to bypass remote receiver [ 0 Answers ]

I'm trying to rewire a Hunter 23457 ceiling fan by removing the original remote receiver and replacing it with an off the shelf remote receiver/transmitter. I need to know which lead(s) to the motor I need to connect to the new receiver.

Bypass hunter fan receiver mod23530 [ 1 Answers ]

How can I bypass the receiver and hardwire the fan to the wall switches, the wires coming out of the bottom of the fan go to a plug that plugs into the receiver, I can't find wiring digram to tell me what wire does what, the receiver has gone bad 2 times I'm done with replacing it. Is there a way...

Hunter Remote receiver bypass instructions needed. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hunter Ceiling fan model 23457 with a remote. The receiver for the remote is model 85112 02. The remote stopped working and I want to bypass the remote and just have the fan run from my wall switch. I would like to have fan in medium down position when I rewire. Can you please tell me...

View more questions Search