Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 10, 2021, 07:13 PM
    What was the Apostle Paul's "thorn in the flesh"?
    In 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 Paul writes, "And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

Many theories have been laid on the table and discussed. What do you think and why?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2021, 10:48 AM
    OK. I'll take a "stab" at it. Here's the text.

"7 Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to [b]torment me—to keep me from exalting myself! 8 Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. 9 And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast [c]about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with [d]insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong."

Considering verse 10, it seems to me that Paul's thorn, which he considered to be some sort of "weakness", is the persecution, frequently violent, of the Jews, a group for which he had great affection. Their rejection of the Gospel must have been both emotionally and physically very painful. Now how that equates to a personal weakness is a bit difficult. It certainly could have been some sort of physical affliction, support for which can be found in Galatians in the reference to them being willing to give him their eyes.

It should also be pointed out that this thorn was given to Paul subsequent to a powerful revelation, no doubt the one described in the previous verses.

Whatever it was, the revelation of the power of God's grace was so amazing to Paul that he completely reversed his view of whatever the thorn was.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2021, 07:18 PM
    Elsewhere he tells someone "I know you would have plucked out your own eyes for me" and hints that writing is difficult. I go with the weak-eyes view, but I won't get in someone's face for it.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2021, 07:31 PM
    It is certainly possible. Kind of strange that he does not specifically state what it is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is "the work of the ministry" Paul writes of in Ephesians Ch. 4 verse 12? [ 10 Answers ]

Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Your thoughts please?

Sakura earthenware by Paul Brent - the "plantation home" series, where can I find ? [ 4 Answers ]

Where can I find a list of products / pieces that were made for the "Plantation Home" series by Paul Brent? I know of the following pieces: salad plates, mugs, soup/cereal bowl, salt + pepper, cream & sugar, dinner plates. Are there other pieces? Thanks.

Etching entitled "Water Mill in France" by Paul Emile Lacomte [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought this etching, on the back is a sticker that reads; Genuine Etching By Paul Emile Lacomte Entitled "Water Mill in France" Paris Etching Society Distributed by Turner New York, Chicago, Los Angeles On the front, top right corner is a copyright symbol followed by the Paris...

"Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life." [ 12 Answers ]

"Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life , and I will raise them to life on this last day. " (John 6.54 ) "I am telling you the truth: if you do not eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you will not have life in yourselves. " (John 6.53 ) Please expain in...

View more questions Search