Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RandomPerson36 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Nov 4, 2021, 07:12 AM
    Is it a good idea to call police for a welfare check in this situation?
    I'm currently living in an apartment complex and have been leasing my unit for ~3 months now. Last night, I was woken up ~4 am to very loud shouting, cussing, and noise from the neighbors living in the unit above me. They were yelling loud enough for me to understand bits and pieces of what was upsetting them so much. It seems like they're a couple going through a rough time in their relationship; the girl wants the guy to leave/break up but the guy is angry and doesn't understand why or what he did wrong. The girl was sobbing and shrieking very loudly at one point, and the guy was trying to talk above her crying, which was then followed by hard stomping, more cussing, and then an eerie silence. I'm not sure whether they took their argument outside, a third person stepped in, or if something else may have occurred.

I don't know anyone else living in this apartment complex and haven't even seen the faces of the neighbors above me going through all this. I just know that this is the second time they've been this loud and distressed (the first time was a couple of days ago at ~2 am). I also don't know whether calling the police would be a good idea as the area this complex is located in is not the best and the community here is pretty wary of law enforcement. I don't want to exacerbate the situation, and since I don't know these people I don't think going upstairs to talk to them would be a good idea either (they may get defensive, confrontational, aggressive, etc.). At the same time though, I don't want their arguing early in the morning to become a norm, or worse, for it to escalate to violence.

Would calling the police for a welfare check be a good idea if this happens again? Is hearing arguing like this normal in apartments (this is my first time living in one)? Should I just mind my own business and keep my head down?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 5, 2021, 01:10 PM
    I've been thinking about this, what the best thing to do is. Yes, I'd call the police or Adult Protective Services (APS) to ask them to do a welfare check. Am wondering if other tenants have the same idea. We don't want another Brian Laundrie-Gabby Petito situation.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 6, 2021, 05:34 AM
    Without a frame of reference or insights into these peoples lives, I think as a newcomer you leave them alone until you learn more. For all you know this could be normal for them, even if it's not for you. Maybe talking to the landlord or building manager, or neighbors would be a better option at this time.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 6, 2021, 09:03 AM
    Good thinking, tal, especially getting to know other tenants would be useful. If this is the couple's normal behavior in the middle of the night, I wonder how they interact during the day....
    RandomPerson36 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2021, 11:04 AM
    Ok, thank y'all for your advice! They haven't had any more fights for the past few days now, so hopefully they figured things out. I'll try and get to know my neighbors better though in the future!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Withdrawn theft under $5000 through AMP and Police Information Check/VS check [ 3 Answers ]

Just wanted a second opinion: I have been arrested of theft under $5000 last May2012. Went through diversion program and finished it on September 2012. My case was then withdrawn October or November of 2012. My lawyer requested for my fingerprint & photograph to be destroyed January of 2013 and I...

Using a blog to vent a good idea? Bad idea? Other ideas? Suggestions? [ 13 Answers ]

If you've seen my other question, then you know I've had some drama lately.. Well concerning that post I will say, things settled out. Well.. more of, she read my journal that morning while I took my regents test and found out that I thought I liked her. Today, we discussed that. She doesn't...

Is it a good idea for foster care for my situation? [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to turn 16 years old. My family has always had issues with so many things. Money has always been a big one. My dad has a drinking issue & I think a mental issue as well. He uses most of his money for cars & beer. He doesn't like using his money to provide for me though. I haven't been to...

Can we call the police on this guy? [ 2 Answers ]

I flooded my engine for my VW golf and while we were getting that fixed through insurance we decided to rebuild the transmission because it had a small clicking sound. My dad's friend from work used to work for an Audi VW dealership fixing trans so we thought he could fix and rebuild it pretty...

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

View more questions Search