Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 2, 2021, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    It also contains scripture which makes you uncomfortable, and those must NEVER be taken literally. So I'll let you investigate this on your own. I don't care for the backdoor you give yourself. And that is not unkind or mean. It's just, as you well know, very true.
    Nothing in the Bible makes me uncomfortable. Backdoor?

The 66 books of the Bible were written by many authors for various reasons at different times in history, and, in addition to some of it being literal, within those books is also a variety of figurative genres -- metaphor, imagery, hyperbole, irony, personification, allegory. Do the hills really sing and the trees really clap their hands? (Psalms) Are believers really the salt of the earth? (Matthew) Does the devil really prowl amongst us like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour? (1 Peter) Does God really raise the poor from the dust and lift the needy from the ash heap? (Psalms)
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2021, 05:45 PM
    When this ("But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God.") can be morphed into an absurdity like this, (The author's intent was to scare the pants off the reader so that person would give up ungodly ways. Much like a parent who scolds a child for clumsiness or sloppiness with the threat, "If you don't start shaping up and do better than this, you'll end up in hell!"), then it has nothing to do with metaphors, imagery, and so forth. It's pure prejudice at work. That's why I leave it with you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 2, 2021, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    When this ("But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God.") can be morphed into an absurdity like this, (The author's intent was to scare the pants off the reader so that person would give up ungodly ways. Much like a parent who scolds a child for clumsiness or sloppiness with the threat, "If you don't start shaping up and do better than this, you'll end up in hell!"), then it has nothing to do with metaphors, imagery, and so forth. It's pure prejudice at work. That's why I leave it with you.
    I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say, what your point is.

Again: "Nothing in the Bible makes me uncomfortable. Backdoor?" What to you is the front door?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attitudes regarding sex [ 10 Answers ]

This is a semi-sexuality question and a semi-friendship question. Mods, feel free to move it. This is going to be very long but it basically sums up to this: Do I have the right to tell people how I feel about the way they think about sex and what they do? I have a really good friend who was a...

Nurses attitudes on life [ 20 Answers ]

Why do nurses have to be so judgemental on life they don't know?

Creditors Attitudes - Do we have to put up with that? [ 4 Answers ]

OK, so I phone telus for a home line and they tell me I owe them $130 for an old phone line that went to collections. They gave me the company name to pay it off "CBV". So I call these people to find out my payment options and they treat me like a criminal. Even though they have made NO effort to...

Your attitudes towards re-piercing is? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, this is my story.. please take your time reading it and help me out? Well, when I just turned 15 I got my navel pierced for the very first time, I totally adored it but was so desperate to change it, I waited for 3/4 months then changed it into a dangley one. That made my navel pop. A...

Iraq: Changes in Attitudes? [ 5 Answers ]

More on the surge... Looks like the facts on the ground in Iraq continue to make headway over the rhetoric. And it looks like the Dems still see progress in Iraq as a bad thing. Aren't we supposed to be on the same side? Haven't the critics been telling us how patriotic they are,...

View more questions Search