Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 18, 2021, 03:00 PM
    Infant baptism
    ​Yes or no? Why or why not?
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2021, 03:57 AM
    Ok by me. It's an ancient rite of initiation from Judaism into Christianity welcoming the new baby into the community. It may be common in other cultures since it's obviously a form of welcoming/purification and may even precede Judaism originating in washing the new-born child.

If you're questioning its connection to "original sin" in Christianity, that arrives with St. Augustine when he was sitting around one day in Hippo with nothing to do and wanted to exercise his newly-acquired episcopal muscles.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 22, 2021, 08:59 AM
    I agree -- baptism (Christianity) "replaced" circumcision (Judaism, Islam, and Orthodox Christianity) as a welcome into the religious community.

According to Wikipedia, Infant Baptism:
    "Thus God takes the very first step in salvation, preceding any human effort or decision. Methodists justify infant baptism by this principle of prevenient grace, often arguing that infant baptism is God's promise or declaration to the infant that calls that infant to (eventually) believe in God's promises (God's Word) for salvation."

That's why at least two godparents (aka sponsors) are present with the child's parents at the baptismal font. As the child is baptized, the Holy Spirit creates faith in that child and empowers the parents and godparents to spiritually guide the maturing child to grow in Christian faith by reading Bible stories to the child, teaching the child how to pray, learn favorite Christian songs/hymns, faithfully attend regular/special/seasonal church services plus Sunday School throughout the year. Confirmation later gives the child the opportunity to express faith in front of the congregation that has also been involved in its Christian upbringing through church services, Sunday School, VBS, etc.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2021, 12:58 PM
    yup - good job, wikipedia and WG.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baptism of John vs. Baptism of Christ? [ 136 Answers ]

Baptism of John, “preaching the baptism of penance, unto remission of sins” Versus Baptism of Christ, " baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost" On another thread concerning baptism a few interesting questions came up: 1) Did Jesus’ baptism have...

In a classic study of infant attachment, Harlow (1959) placed infant monkeys in cages [ 2 Answers ]

In a classic study of infant attachment, Harlow (1959) placed infant monkeys in cages with two artificial surrogate mothers. One “mother” was made from bare wire mesh and contained a baby bottle from which the infants could feed. The other mother was made from soft terry cloth and did not provide...

Mother leaves infant with friend, grandfather has had the infant in his care for over [ 3 Answers ]

A mother leaves infant with friend, grandfather has been the primary care giver for over a month now. The mother was not providing adequate care to the infant, she was feeding the infant watered down formula and living in an automobile. The infant was neglected and malnurished. In the...

Baptism [ 28 Answers ]

When you baptise your child, is it not right to have your mother - the grand mother of you child to be God Mother? My husband thinks it doesn't make sense seeing as she is the grand mother? While my mother indirectly told me she would like to be GOd mother..

Baptism! [ 49 Answers ]

I was baptised when I was a small baby. My parents automatically dedicated my life to Christianity by doing so. In short, I wasn't given a chance to think for myself. Do you think parents should wait until an offspring can think for him/herself before being baptised? ...

View more questions Search