Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2021, 09:09 PM
    The Question of God
    I copied this from a previous thread that was closed because of a troll. It's a great question from WG, so I posted it again here.

I'd love it if this thread had honest and interesting discussions about belief in God. Who is God? Where did He (She?) come from? Why do so many cultures believe in a God? Is He (She?) the same one for all?
    There are many parts to this question. I'll take just one to start.

"Is he (She) the same one for all"?

I don't think that's true specifically - i.e., the many names and descriptions of God. But I do think it's true in a general sense.

There seems to be a widespread understanding that there is a "creative principle" for all that is. This principle is usually seen to be personal as the religions conceive of it. That is possibly a way to make the idea palatable to humans. We prefer to think of a person rather than a principle when considering the subject.

Having said that, it is equally possible a personal God IS the absolute truth. A "principle" being the author of creation is a difficult idea for us to contemplate. As far as I can determine, only the Hindus have approached the problem that way. Buddhism essentially avoids answering the question, while the three Western religions all posit a personal God.

The question is not only religious. It affects all aspects of life. Science takes the position that a theory of God is without evidence but does not take a position of the theory being definite. Stephen Hawking tried to explain the origin of the universe without a God but failed.

Whether personal or a principle, is "all that is" governed by any kind of teleology or is it all purely random? In my opinion. the universe reveals itself to have purpose.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2021, 10:38 AM
    For centuries, people all over the world have realized and even worshipped a Higher Power and given that Higher Power a name -- El, Ra, Erlik, Ahura Mazda, Great Spirit, Allah, Shiva, YHVH, Jehovah, Jesus Christ, to name a few. People through the ages have wanted to believe in a power bigger than themselves, a god of creation, history, and eternity;
    a god they can feel connected to, as a way to connect with the universe and even just their own environment.

No matter what name and attributes have been given to this Higher Power, I believe it boils down to there being just one God, the Father of us all.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2021, 12:59 AM
    Another part of the question --

"Why do so many cultures believe in a God?"

As Home Sapiens (or earlier models) gradually became aware of death, he rebelled against death. This was the polar opposite of every instinct he possessed so he "created" an afterlife to defeat death. This afterlife ultimately took many forms, including consciousness and non-consciousness, reincarnation and transmigration, heaven and nirvana - they are still part of modern belief systems, common to all religions.

None of this denies the existence of God. It is rooted in the fear of non-existence. God would come later revealing Himself/Herself as the author of the awareness of death, as some posit.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 18, 2021, 12:49 PM
    I've always been fascinated by the Greek understanding of death and the afterlife. Notice the parallels to the Christian afterlife?

The belief was that, at the moment of death, the soul left the dead body, then took on its appearance from when it was alive. Charon, a psychopomp ("the guide of souls"), ferried those souls across the River Styx that separated Earth from the Underworld. The further downriver Charon carried the deceased, the longer and/or more severe would be their punishment. Once across, the good people and the bad people would be separated and go to Tartarus (hell) or the Asphodel Meadows (constant mindlessness, thanks to drinking from the River Lethe) or the Elysian Fields (paradise). The Underworld had no time; it was always Now.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2021, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I've always been fascinated by the Greek understanding of death and the afterlife. Notice the parallels to the Christian afterlife?
    Fascinating trip through the Greek imagination.

Next part --

"Where did God come from"?

Two schools of thought. One believes that God was created by man in man's image to explain a bewildering universe. Man would develop concepts like goodness, truth and beauty but would have them originating in God to give them unchallengable authenticity.

The religious school of thought posits a God who always was and had no beginning. The First Cause, the Uncaused Cause, the Prime Mover, and other philosophical concepts. This latter idea of an infinite God who always was and always will be can be believed but never understood by man with a finite brain.
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2021, 02:36 AM
    Final part of the question --- "Who is God"?

Or What is God?

Who or what - does it make a difference? I don't know. I don't think so.

Whether God is a who or a what, there are some things we can be sure of about he/she/it.

If God is understood as an infinite God (Uncaused Cause, etc.), then God's chief characteristic must be the good. All other characteristics flow naturally from this aspect. There is no way of proving this - we can only observe the few millions of years by which we are able to have some understanding.

There is a movement towards a goal or fulfillment or completion. Science and philosophy both indicate this. Science reveals the observable structure of the universe, philosophy the non-observable spiritual structure. Both move in a similar direction.

The many avatars man has produced recognize such movement. Without these avatars, man relates poorly to an infinite God. The avatars enable man to express and experience the connection to the infinite.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about html/css and linking local files a question of security. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm sorry for this total noob question, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. (ive only been coding for like 2 weeks) I am making a joke website for my brothers birthday using notepad++ and my limited knowledge. It won't ever be a live website and only he will have access to it. I am currently in...

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

Management Accounts Question: Variance Question? [ 0 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I'm having. The Q is as follows; McCauleys Ltd uses a standard costing system and has produced the following production information for the month of June 2010. Standard Actual Sales (units) 10,000 10,000 Sales price per unit £30 £32...

To submit a question, where is the Question Template to be found? [ 5 Answers ]

When I attempt to print a hard copy from mail received, via my INBOX. The following error template appears... Internet Explorer Script Error Line : 2021 Char : 1 Error : Unspecified Code : 0 URL : ...

View more questions Search