Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2021, 02:30 AM
    Democrat assault on suburban zoning ruse .
    Democrats at the federal and state levels want to kill off single family zoning. Written into the Dems Infrastructure bill is the ending of what Quid calls “exclusionary zoning”. What he means by that is that single family zoning allegedly excludes minorities into a community and prevents diversity .
    During the campaign Quid made it an issue . But when Trump called him out on it ,Quid went silent on the issue .
    But once in office Quid reintroduced the idea ;first in a policy paper in March that was adopted in the $2,3 trillion bill .

The President’s plan invests $213 billion to produce, preserve, and retrofit more than two million affordable and sustainable places to live. It pairs this investment with an innovative new approach to eliminate state and local exclusionary zoning laws, which drive up the cost of construction and keep families from moving to neighborhoods with more opportunities for them and their kids.
    FACT SHEET: The American Jobs Plan | The White House

$213 billion would be allocated to Quid's total affordable housing initiative

In this they are dredging up a plan by the emperor called Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (AFFH) . He adopted it in the waning days of his reign counting on a President Evita to enforce it . Trump suspended AFFH and eventually killed it. But Quid and the Dems doubles down on it by funding it as an infrastructure misdirection .

Besides the assault on federalism in taking zoning rules away from local governments ; it is clearly a ruse because despite their rhetoric ,they could care less about where minorities live . If they did then the money would be invested where minorities actually live.

The real objective is to service the well connected bank and real estate developers by changing the laws that prevents them from building high density apartments in residential neighborhoods where zoning restricts such building using federal funding to achieve the objective .
    The bill would sweeten the pot by making Community Block grants dependent on the zoning changes . Some suburban communities would find it hard to resist the carrot. But if the Dems get more power on the issue then the gloves come off and the zoning bans will be taken national . By doing this they also believe they achieve a political objective by turning suburbia "blue " .

This move is already in motion at the state level . California Governor Gavin Newsom signed legislation to abolish single family zoning in all of California. Oregon abolished single family zoning in 2019, and Minneapolis was the first major metropolitan area to abolish single family zoning, also in 2019. The New York Slimes called the Minneapolis plan "simple and brilliant " . In Virginia ,Guv Terry McAuliffe’s also intends to adopt this concept .

It remains to be seen if the Dems pay a political price for this . Newsom survived a recall because the Repubs in California are idiots . However SB9 's reversal will become a ballot initiative . Terry McAuliffe is on the ropes in Virginia because of a ,number of boneheaded policies he supports (critical race theory ,defund the police and this ban of single family zoning ) . He is in a tough Va Guv election . The Dems understanding the issues are going all out in supporting him .
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2021, 06:31 AM
    an innovative new approach
    Anytime you read that statement by the feds, it's time to circle the wagons.

Once again, personal liberty goes down the drain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Zoning Code [ 1 Answers ]

Could you help me understand this zoning code? (0080 - VAC 7-20 AC NO R2 3 4 COMM IND) What exactly does this mean?

Zoning Issues [ 2 Answers ]

Under commercial tenancy law, who is responsible for ensuring the zoning laws are being up held?

Zoning for home business. [ 2 Answers ]

How do you find out if you are zoned for business?

Zoning for basement [ 2 Answers ]

I was reading another post about cooling upstairs and downstairs efficiently. I had a few questions that I could not otherwise find the answer to. I finished my basement recently, so all the HVAC lines are run, and there is a register in each room, and 2 in the family room. I have my Central...

Residential zoning [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: Trying to help a friend make an offer on a home zoned "SFR" in Nashville TN - it already has a built-in "mother-in-law" apartment in the lower level with proper egress etc. Anyone have any experience in obtaining the proper permits to allow a single family (non-related to owner) to rent in...

View more questions Search