Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2021, 12:45 PM
    Truly, how would prayer help? God isn't going to whisper in her ear.
    How do you know?

Sally could pray and decide God wants her to abort the baby so as not to lose the husband she loves dearly and who is the devoted father of their children.
    Well, why wouldn't God just tell her to kill one of her other children? You really think God would tell this woman to kill her unborn child, and do so in order to hold on to a husband who demands she have an abortion?

Find out what happened to Samuel's mother when she prayed. Sometimes it seems you have the littlest faith of anyone I've met in a long time who claims to be a Christian. Perhaps I have a false impression.

Don't most (all?) of the major religions profess the Golden Rule?
    How many of the world's religions believe that Jesus is the only way to God as He said He was? Oops. I forgot. You discount the NT.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2021, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    If I'm near or with a person whom I know to be a Christian disparaging another's religion or even someone's Christian denomination, what should I say, if anything?
    Easy. Tell them that's not very Christ-like. Christ didn't disparage the religion of others. In fact, he said to love your neighbor. Neighbors come in all sizes and religions.

How many of the world's religions believe that Jesus is the only way to God as He said He was?
    Irrelevant. Only Christianity says that. No other religion says that. I hope you don't think that's some sort of proof that Christianity is the only way to God. Even the largest Christian denomination doesn't claim that.

The best religion is the one that teaches its adherents to behave lovingly and ethically towards one's neighbor. A Christian (or non-Christian) acting otherwise is a bad example and not to be imitated or admired.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2021, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Easy. Tell them that's not very Christ-like. Christ didn't disparage the religion of others. In fact, he said to love your neighbor. Neighbors come in all sizes and religions.
    Rather than scold them (and they immediately stop listening), I would use "I" statements and gently dig into their reasoning/rationale. Then I would, along the way, carefully remind them what Jesus encouraged us to do.
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2021, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Rather than scold them (and they immediately stop listening), I would use "I" statements and gently dig into their reasoning/rationale. Then I would, along the way, carefully remind them what Jesus encouraged us to do.
    Excellent!

(No one was scolding anyone, if that's what you were thinking).
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2021, 07:46 PM
    carefully remind them what Jesus encouraged us to do.
    Except that, as you know, you have already repeatedly said that we really don't know what Jesus said.

I hope you don't think that's some sort of proof that Christianity is the only way to God.
    I'm just telling you what Jesus said. Perhaps you will have a chance to correct Him someday.

The best religion is the one that teaches its adherents to behave lovingly and ethically towards one's neighbor.
    Why do you believe that?
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2021, 11:07 PM
    from Athos
    I hope you don't think that's some sort of proof that Christianity is the only way to God.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post

I'm just telling you what Jesus said.
    Thank you. Then you do NOT think it is some sort of proof that Christianity is the only way to God?

Perhaps you will have a chance to correct Him someday.
    Here you seem to be saying Christianity IS the only way to God. I will go with this one.

A not-so-veiled threat.

Thank you.

It gives me a chance to tell more about primitive religion. It is characteristic of these religions that the gods brook no acknowledgement of other religions. The adherents will usually condemn non-believers to death or to a more hideous fate - eternal punishment in hell.

Christianity is the prime example that has both a primitive retention of origins dating back to Judaism while also possessing an evolved sense of altruism, also dating back to Judaism.

The primitive aspect is in the process of being discarded, being held only by a marginal faction at present.

from Athos
    The best religion is the one that teaches its adherents to behave lovingly and ethically towards one's neighbor.
    from Jlisenbe
    Why do you believe that?
    It is common among those religions that have developed over long periods of time. It is also self-evident that humanity is at its best when acting lovingly and ethically toward one another.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2021, 05:37 AM
    It is common among those religions that have developed over long periods of time. It is also self-evident that humanity is at its best when acting lovingly and ethically toward one another.
    So you accept that because it is taught by the same religions that also teach the concept of judgment? Interesting that you accept one idea but not the other. Still, go to India. Look around. See how the Hindu religion seems to be teaching loving your neighbor. Moslems? The evidence is plain that ethical behavior towards your neighbor is not high on the list of priorities. See how their women are treated. Look at the religions developed among the native Americans here. They routinely attacked and killed neighboring tribes. It is self-evident to you because you have been influenced by the remnants of the Christian west, but to many people around the world, it is self evident that the world is proceeding best when your neighbors are being killed or subjugated.

As to the rest of your comments, I'll stick with the words of the man who was raised from the dead. If He says that people only come to God through Him and that a day of judgment is coming, then that's good enough for me. I find no reason why I would want to take your word over His.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 16, 2021, 09:25 AM
    Except that, as you know, you have already repeatedly said that we really don't know what Jesus said.

I'm just telling you what Jesus said. Perhaps you will have a chance to correct Him someday.
    We don't know His EXACT WORDS. We do know the messages He taught.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2021, 09:28 AM
    We don't know His EXACT WORDS. We do know the messages He taught.
    So you do accept that in Matthew 25 (and a number of other places) Jesus taught a "message" of Him someday sending people to hell?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 16, 2021, 09:40 AM
    See how the Hindu religion seems to be teaching loving your neighbor. Moslems? The evidence is plain that ethical behavior towards your neighbor is not high on the list of priorities. See how their women are treated. Look at the religions developed among the native Americans here. They routinely attacked and killed neighboring tribes. It is self-evident to you because you have been influenced by the remnants of the Christian west, but to many people around the world, it is self evident that the world is proceeding best when your neighbors are being killed or subjugated.
    The kindest, gentlest, most loving people I have ever known and worked with for years were from India. Many library patrons were Muslim, also wonderful people. They truly followed the Golden Rule!

Thank God Christians individually and in groups have not and still don't murder, torture, rape, etc. people of their own religion or in other religions! </sarcasm>
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2021, 09:43 AM
    The kindest, gentlest, most loving people I have ever known and worked with for years were from India
    Then you need to find a different church to attend.

Please don't evade this. "So you do accept that in Matthew 25 (and a number of other places) Jesus taught a "message" of Him someday sending people to hell?"
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 16, 2021, 09:49 AM
    So you do accept that in Matthew 25 (and a number of other places) Jesus taught a "message" of Him someday sending people to hell?
    Why would He send people to hell?
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2021, 09:54 AM
    Again, please don't evade this. "So you do accept that in Matthew 25 (and a number of other places) Jesus taught a "message" of Him someday sending people to hell?"

That is based upon this comment of yours. "We don't know His EXACT WORDS. We do know the messages He taught."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 16, 2021, 10:21 AM
    Then you need to find a different church to attend.
    Why? I am loved and return that love. And am still in touch with many via email, LinkedIn, Quora, Zoom, Skype, FB Messenger.

Again, please don't evade this. "So you do accept that in Matthew 25 (and a number of other places) Jesus taught a "message" of Him someday sending people to hell?"

That is based upon this comment of yours. "We don't know His EXACT WORDS. We do know the messages He taught."
    What was the REAL lesson He was teaching?
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2021, 10:24 AM

Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 16, 2021, 11:26 AM

Nope. There is a message He taught that supersedes the obvious (literal) one you're hung up on.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2021, 11:57 AM
    So you don't accept his messages after all. At least you admit it. Only those which survive the journey through your liberal philosophies are accepted in your world.

And then, of course, comes the pathetic appeal to literalism.
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2021, 12:30 PM
    So you accept that because it is taught by the same religions that also teach the concept of judgment? Interesting that you accept one idea but not the other.
    As noted, religions are in various stages of development. They can contain both a primitive nature and a developed nature. It is no surprise that judgement is taught by many. Judgement can be fair or not fair. It depends on the circumstances.

This is not a case of "accepting one idea but not the other" as though you have discovered something faulty in the reasoning. In all walks of life including religion, some ideas are good, others are not. You should not be having trouble with this obvious concept.

Still, go to India. Look around. See how the Hindu religion seems to be teaching loving your neighbor. Moslems? The evidence is plain that ethical behavior towards your neighbor is not high on the list of priorities. See how their women are treated. Look at the religions developed among the native Americans here. They routinely attacked and killed neighboring tribes.
    This shows how little you know of other religions.

Your disparagements of other religions are equally true of Christianity. In fact, historically, Christianity is the worst. No religious god has been more evil than the god of the Bible who destroyed the entire race of humans on a whim. And who, according to some, sends people to hell for the simple fact of not believing in him. No God is or ever has been more primitive.

However, with the onset of the Hebrew prophets and with Jesus Christ, this religion has made giant steps away from the raw killing nature of the god it began with. There is much left to be done.

It is self-evident to you because you have been influenced by the remnants of the Christian west
    When a thing is self-evident, that means it stands on its own, not requiring additional proof.

to many people around the world, it is self evident that the world is proceeding best when your neighbors are being killed or subjugated.
    There is nothing self-evident about those people. They are driven by religion which they misinterpret as demanding killing and violence. It requires many factors to believe such evil, none of which are self-evident.

As to the rest of your comments, I'll stick with the words of the man who was raised from the dead. If He says that people only come to God through Him and that a day of judgment is coming, then that's good enough for me.
    That is your privilege to believe whatever you wish to believe. You have every right to believe what is written in a series of two thousand year old books, as many do. Those books also have a message of love and ethics, without which a belief in miracles doesn't matter much.

I find no reason why I would want to take your word over His.
    No one is asking you to take one word over another. As noted, it is your privilege to believe what you want to believe. You, and others like you, are simply being presented with a reasonable examination of the growth and development of religion.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2021, 12:51 PM
    As noted, religions are in various stages of development.
    Your belief. Nothing more.

However, with the onset of the Hebrew prophets and with Jesus Christ, this religion has made giant steps away from the raw killing nature of the god it began with. There is much left to be done.
    I'm sure God has noted your objections.

There is nothing self-evident about those people.
    No one said there was.

Those books also have a message of love and ethics, without which a belief in miracles doesn't matter much.
    Again, just your belief which you are entitles. However, it makes no sense and there is no compelling reason to believe it.
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2021, 01:07 PM
    Your belief. Nothing more.
    A REASONED observation. It will take more to cast it aside than merely denying it.

I'm sure God has noted your objections.
    Which God?

Again, just your belief ........ However, it makes no sense and there is no compelling reason to believe it.
    It makes eminent good sense to anyone rationally examining the issue. To those blinded by an unreasoning faith in bad religion, not so. Merely denying is not a compelling REASON not to believe it. You need more than that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Small "tunnel" like thing on shaft side of penis? White hard seed-like thing? [ 14 Answers ]

I was reading questions asked that were similar to mine, and I came across this one and it is very relevant to what I'm experiencing, so here it is: "This sounds nearly identical to my problem. I will try to explain it as well as I am able: On the shaft of my penis, there are 2 tiny holes a...

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

A silver bracee at decò has a "g" a crescentmoon and a "k", anyone knows s`thing? [ 0 Answers ]

My grand-grandmotherbracelet has a "g" a crescentmoon and a "k" , art decò design but no one in the family remember where the woman hasbrought it from!! Anyone can help? Thank you a lot! Monica

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

View more questions Search