Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 14, 2021, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Yeah. That makes a lot of sense. The words we have of Christ are not really right, but by George the text sure is reliable! Surely you can see the silliness of that position.
    Text = content. E.g., Jesus died on a cross so our sins will be forgiven. Let's expand text to mean teachings, the heart or moral of each story.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2021, 05:26 PM
    Back to the original question ------

If your Christian religion is based on belief and you find yourself acting in an un-Christ-like fashion by dispararging the religion of others and acting in a mean and insulting manner, then your professed religion is not the one for you.

It is a simple and effective test.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2021, 05:46 PM
    And that is a belief of yours.
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2021, 05:54 PM
    WG, are you saying now that you accept the teachings of Jesus?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 14, 2021, 05:55 PM
    WG, are you saying now that you accept the teachings of Jesus?
    "Now"????
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2021, 06:08 PM
    Yeah. You remember what I asked about 5 million posts ago? "Do you believe what He said?" You have steadfastly refused to answer, and have come up with statements such as, "We don't have His exact words, just transcriptions and translations over the centuries." Or there was this scarcely faith-filled comment. "Who recorded them, wrote them down, when He said them?" But NOW you are saying you accept His teachings. Yet I bet you really don't. His teachings don't agree with your liberal ideas, so you cannot accept them.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 14, 2021, 06:39 PM
    Yup, reading comprehension. Literalist to the core!
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2021, 07:24 PM
    And that is a belief of yours.
    It certainly is.

If I didn't believe it was true, I would not have posted it.
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2021, 08:06 PM
    If I didn't believe it was true, I would not have posted it
    I wasn't being necessarily critical of your comment. I was trying to draw attention to your first statement. "It's never what one BELIEVES, but how one ACTS. THAT is the right religion for anyone." That was also a belief statement. At the end of the day, I think that's what we need to be most careful of. Our actions are generally birthed by our beliefs.

Yup, reading comprehension. Literalist to the core!
    Just the comment of a person with no arguments. It's like saying, "I made statements I cannot defend, so I'll just call the other guy a literalist (which is really pitiful) and try to squeeze out of it." It's why I so dislike trying to discuss anything with you. When you get stuck, you always want to blame it on someone else. In your view, your liberal beliefs just couldn't be at fault.
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2021, 08:24 PM
    I was trying to draw attention to your first statement. "It's never what one BELIEVES, but how one ACTS. THAT is the right religion for anyone." That was also a belief statement.
    You're still missing the point. See my post #8 in this thread which I assume you didn't read. That post explains what you missed.

My quote above that you cited refers to RELIGIOUS belief - not to belief in general. You have equated the two usages of "belief". They are not the same.

Sorry to say it's that reading comprehension problem you have. You don't always understand the meaning of words when they are used within different contexts. Children learn how to distinguish the different nuances of same words as they begin to learn language as babies.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 14, 2021, 09:09 PM
    Our actions are generally birthed by our beliefs.d
    Not at all. Our actions too often are the opposite of our beliefs.
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2021, 03:12 AM
    Not at all. Our actions too often are the opposite of our beliefs.
    Maybe. It's an interesting thought, but only if you intend for us to take that statement literally. Is that the case? Perhaps you really meant, in a figurative way, that you completely agree with my ideas. I hope so!

I'm not sure I agree with that, but it is worth considering. I think it's more likely that our many beliefs contend for mastery with each other. So if "Joe" believes abortion is wrong, but refuses to take a public stand against it, then perhaps his belief that personal convenience and public approval are both really important simply overrides his weaker belief about abortion. Perhaps his belief that abortion is wrong is a relatively weak belief. I think that our stronger "faith" always wins. The outcome depends upon what our faith was looking at. But I still like your point. It's caused me to think, and I wouldn't be prepared to say your statement is wrong. Fears, prejudices, and desires enter into the picture as well.

And yes, I mean that literally.
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2021, 08:54 AM
    You will not see me make a silly plea to someone else's reading comprehension in order to defend the weakness or lack of clarity of my statements.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2021, 09:15 AM
    Or "Sally," a Christian and the mother of five children, is 39 and four months pregnant. Two forms of birth control failed. She has been told by her husband, an agnostic, never to get pregnant again, that they can't afford another child, and he will divorce her if she goes through with this pregnancy. What now?
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2021, 10:29 AM
    They can always kill an unborn human being. Would that solve the problem?

They could kill one of their already born children. How would that be different?

This Christian woman does not know how to pray and appeal to her Heavenly Father for help? Why did that option not occur to you? So sad that a professing Christian never even thought of prayer. Well, I know what my wife would have told me. "Get out of this house, you piece of garbage. You'll not have my baby killed."
    "When I came, why was there no one? When I called, why was there no one to answer? Was my arm too short to deliver you? Do I lack the strength to rescue you? By a mere rebuke I dry up the sea, I turn rivers into a desert; their fish rot for lack of water and die of thirst. I clothe the heavens with darkness and make sackcloth its covering.”
    Baby at about four months. How sad that you seem to be so eager to present a case for death.

Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2021, 10:32 AM
    How would prayer help?
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2021, 10:51 AM
    Are you serious??? You are actually asking how prayer could help? Don't really know what to say to that. The truth is revealed, I guess.

7 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or what man is there among you who, when his son asks for a loaf, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!
    What would Jesus say to you for asking such a question?

16 Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego replied to the king, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to give you an answer concerning this matter. 17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the furnace of blazing fire; and He will deliver us out of your hand, O king. 18 But even if He does not, let it be known to you, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up.”
    At some point a person has to take a stand. It is better to suffer for doing what is right than to engage in what amounts to murder and live a soft life.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2021, 12:02 PM
    Truly, how would prayer help? God isn't going to whisper in her ear. Sally could pray and decide God wants her to abort the baby so as not to lose the husband she loves dearly and who is the devoted father of their children.

I can think of a more productive/utilitarian way to work this out and not only save the pregnancy but also save the marriage. AND it would be God-pleasing.
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2021, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    If your Christian religion is based on belief and you find yourself acting in an un-Christ-like fashion by dispararging the religion of others and acting in a mean and insulting manner, then your professed religion is not the one for you.

It is a simple and effective test.
    Back to the original question.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 15, 2021, 12:34 PM
    Don't most (all?) of the major religions profess the Golden Rule?

If I'm near or with a person whom I know to be a Christian disparaging another's religion or even someone's Christian denomination, what should I say, if anything?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Small "tunnel" like thing on shaft side of penis? White hard seed-like thing? [ 14 Answers ]

I was reading questions asked that were similar to mine, and I came across this one and it is very relevant to what I'm experiencing, so here it is: "This sounds nearly identical to my problem. I will try to explain it as well as I am able: On the shaft of my penis, there are 2 tiny holes a...

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

A silver bracee at decò has a "g" a crescentmoon and a "k", anyone knows s`thing? [ 0 Answers ]

My grand-grandmotherbracelet has a "g" a crescentmoon and a "k" , art decò design but no one in the family remember where the woman hasbrought it from!! Anyone can help? Thank you a lot! Monica

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

View more questions Search