Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 13, 2021, 09:18 AM
    Is believing the "right thing" everything?
    "Do I have religion right?”

How to Know if You Have the Wrong Religion

Please read this very thought-provoking article:

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2021/08/25..._DvBXciG71gdeo
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2021, 02:01 PM
    I read the article and the writer says what I have thought for many, many years.

It's never what one BELIEVES, but how one ACTS. THAT is the right religion for anyone.

Belief-based religions are a throwback to our primitive selves. Witness how the Bible developed over the centuries. From talking snake stories for children to the sublime message of love from Christ. Even the Gospel message is still tainted with remnants of the original worship of power - the powerful sky god who demanded obeisance from all the adherents.

As humanity evolved, so his grasp of religion also evolved. Large segments of humanity remain in the throes of ancient gods which is a reflection of the different stages of evolution humans are subject to.

Your question is one worth discussing.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 13, 2021, 02:32 PM
    What does love and care and empathy get us in the end? And if someone has little or none, then what?
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2021, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    What does love and care and empathy get us in the end? And if someone has little or none, then what?
    Loving, caring and empathizing are not done for our benefit that will get something for us in the end. They are for the one receiving those things. When they are carried out for OUR sake, they will quickly disappear.

For those who have little or none, what they get or don't get is not our concern. We can continue with them, or "shake the dust off our feet."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 13, 2021, 06:02 PM
    Will we earn heaven (or be consigned to hell) depending if we love/care/empathize (or not)?

Should attaining heaven be our reason for
    loving/carving/empathizing?
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2021, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Will we earn heaven (or be consigned to hell) depending if we love/care/empathize (or not)?
    I understood your question the first time. I gave the best answer I could.

Should attaining heaven be our reason for loving/carving/empathizing?
    Desiring the good should be our reason. Desiring heaven in exchange for loving is just another form of buying and selling.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2021, 06:56 PM
    It's never what one BELIEVES, but how one ACTS. THAT is the right religion for anyone.
    So that's what you believe?

You have both stated belief after belief above. Belief is everything. It governs actions. We act because we believe something.

The author in the article said this. "The right religious worldview is the one that makes you a more empathetic human being—period. It is the belief system that enables you to be more aware of the suffering in the world and propels you into other people’s lives to alleviate that suffering." That is, of course, a belief he has which he claims is right and which he BELIEVES everyone should adhere to, believe, and act on. It is, he said, the "right religious worldview". So I suppose it's safe to say that he considers believing the "right thing" to be everything.

I prefer to listen to the man who was raised from the dead.
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2021, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    So that's what you believe?

You have both stated belief after belief above. Belief is everything. It governs actions. We act because we believe something.

The author in the article said this. "The right religious worldview is the one that makes you a more empathetic human being—period. It is the belief system that enables you to be more aware of the suffering in the world and propels you into other people’s lives to alleviate that suffering." That is, of course, a belief he has which he claims is right and which he BELIEVES everyone should adhere to, believe, and act on.

I am sorry to say (again!) that you have missed the meaning.

Words have shades of meaning, sometimes connotations, sometimes based on context, sometimes just differences.

In this case, "belief" is used in the narrow sense of religious belief. Other shades of meaning would include my belief that I am sitting at a computer writing this. This latter sense is not the same as what the previous posts have referred to when using the word. I hope this isn't too confusing for you.

As far as the linked article goes, you may believe whatever you desire whether it agrees with the author or not. That is your privilege.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 13, 2021, 07:50 PM
    Who acted. He loved/cared/empathized.
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2021, 07:53 PM
    Do you believe what He said?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 13, 2021, 07:57 PM
    Do you believe what He said?
    What He said or what you say He said?
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2021, 08:02 PM
    What He said as recorded in the New Testament. Do you believe those words?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 13, 2021, 08:05 PM
    What He said as recorded in the New Testament. Do you believe those words?
    We don't have His exact words, just transcriptions and translations over the centuries.
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2021, 08:13 PM
    Then how do you know this is true? "Who acted. He loved/cared/empathized."

BTW, this is hardly true. " just transcriptions and translations over the centuries." It's not even close to being true.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 13, 2021, 08:13 PM
    Then how do you know this is true? "Who acted. He loved/cared/empathized."

BTW, this is hardly true. " just transcriptions and translations over the centuries."
    In the same way, how do you know hell exists?

Of course the NT has been added to and changed to suit the ruler or pope or priest in power over the scribes.
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2021, 08:15 PM
    Because I believe what He said. You clearly do not. And there is no good reason to believe we do not have an accurate account of what He said.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 13, 2021, 08:21 PM
    Because I believe what He said. You clearly do not. And there is no good reason to believe we do not have an accurate account of what He said.
    What do you believe He said? Everything exactly as printed in the KJV Bible?
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2021, 08:24 PM
    I would reference the Greek manuscripts, but the KJV is sufficient.

But you have already said you don't believe we know what He said, so there's no real point in continuing this.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 13, 2021, 08:25 PM
    I would reference the Greek manuscripts, but the KJV is sufficient.

But you have already said you don't believe we know what He said, so there's no real point in continuing this.
    You are already misconstruing what I'VE said!!!
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2021, 08:26 PM
    We don't have His exact words, just transcriptions and translations over the centuries.
    Nothing has been misconstrued. This was a very clear statement. Your refusal to simply say you believe what He said also speaks volumes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Small "tunnel" like thing on shaft side of penis? White hard seed-like thing? [ 14 Answers ]

I was reading questions asked that were similar to mine, and I came across this one and it is very relevant to what I'm experiencing, so here it is: "This sounds nearly identical to my problem. I will try to explain it as well as I am able: On the shaft of my penis, there are 2 tiny holes a...

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

A silver bracee at decò has a "g" a crescentmoon and a "k", anyone knows s`thing? [ 0 Answers ]

My grand-grandmotherbracelet has a "g" a crescentmoon and a "k" , art decò design but no one in the family remember where the woman hasbrought it from!! Anyone can help? Thank you a lot! Monica

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

View more questions Search