Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 4, 2022, 07:55 PM
    I believe in its saving truths but I don't believe the hills clapped their hands (and I don't think you do either, JL) In other words, the Bible is a masterwork of poetry, narrative, genealogy, law, wisdom literature, poetry, Gospel teachings, letters (epistles), prophecy, history, apocalyptic literature.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 4, 2022, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Isn't it amazing how we print/borrow money for anything and everything EXCEPT educational testing.
    And educational testing has become a joke. As is the push toward college.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2022, 08:02 PM
    But I don't want to hijack Tom's post. If you want to move this to another thread, I'll participate there. (the religious discussion)
    And educational testing has become a joke.
    Why do you say that?

As is the push toward college.
    In some cases I would agree. Engineering, medicine, or business can be good majors. Much of the social sciences is a waste of time.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2022, 03:30 AM
    In defense of SOME of the social sciences; they taught me critical thinking and how to research. Those tools were valuable to me in the profession I chose even if my career was technically not in the field I studied. So, my studies were worth the price I paid for them.

But that is the rub. At the cost of admission now, I would not council anyone to study any discipline without having a long-term career plan before taking the plunge.

The public policy should be to reduce the costs of higher education. That means like it or not, less public intervention.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2022, 05:49 AM
    Some of the social science courses are no doubt useful, but those disciplines are now overrun with woke profs who peddle ideology more than useful truth. Women's studies, minority studies, CRT classes, and many sociology and psychology disciplines were more of what I was discussing. Certainly economics can be useful.

Completely agree that the cost of college MUST be targeted. We should also limit Pell grants to useful degrees and actively discourage young people from running up massive debt in pursuit of questionable areas of study.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 5, 2022, 08:48 AM
    Sounds like discrimination and badmouthing those things you deem unimportant. Par for the course my conservative brothers. Your zeal to ramp up your own efforts of social ideology are quite obvious.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 5, 2022, 10:18 AM
    WG -- As is the push toward college.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    In some cases I would agree. Engineering, medicine, or business can be good majors. Much of the social sciences is a waste of time.
    As I've said on this site before, vocational guidance must be encouraged. Many jobs don't demand a college education or might demand only a certificate e.g., in health care, library work, sociology/psychology, etc. that can be obtained in, say, 15 months at a community college. Or perhaps doing an apprenticeship alongside an electrician or plumber or mechanic will be what one wants and needs to light up a career path.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2022, 10:27 AM
    There are many possibilities indeed.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 5, 2022, 10:37 AM
    So much for hopes and dreams. Eating and sleeping is hard enough. Babysitters ain't cheap either, even if it is proud grandma(pa), who may have to eat and sleep themselves. Bummer when another mofo is making you choose what they want you to do!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2023, 04:08 AM
    Kam the Sham's hubby Doug Emhoff compared parents who confront school boards over curriculum as Nazis during the holocaust .

"I met one woman who was saved in the Holocaust in Germany, settled in Ukraine, and is now a refugee again back in Berlin," Emhoff recounted. "Hate is interconnected. You see it in the discourse in the country right now. You see it in the divide that we have. Just going to school meetings, you see that hate that is out there."
    Doug Emhoff invokes Holocaust on frustrated parents at school board meetings: 'Hate' | U.S. & World | gazette.com

He and Kam are the pair .
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2023, 06:08 AM
    Emhoff also stressed that he wants "more Kamala Harrises" in government and the military, calling for increased diversity and representation for women.
    Increased diversity is called for, otherwise more accurately known as quotas. It's just diversity for the sake of diversity, with no thought given to any advantages or disadvantages it might cause.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was born in France of American parents and have been a US citizen for many years. [ 2 Answers ]

Can I obtain dual citizenship and if so, what process do I follow?

How to obtain french citizenship if born in france of american parents [ 1 Answers ]

How to obtain french citizenship if born in france of american parents

Born in france to american parents. [ 2 Answers ]

Can I get a French citizenship if I was born in France, lived in France for 8 years, speak French and will be returning to France to teach English and as a music artist? Do you know if I have to be living in France first to qualify? My parents are both from the U.S. Thank you so much :-)

Obama declares war [ 9 Answers ]

During yesterday's radio address the President declared that we are engaged in a "War on a Far-Reaching Network of Violence and Hatred" (WFNVH). The President admitted that we have been fighting in the Yemen front of this WFNVH ;but will ask Congress to add additional funding for the WFNVH .Of his...

Green card for parents if the child is an American citizen [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have been here for two years under J1, respectively J2 visas. Our visas will expire next year. While here, our son was born, so he is an American citizen. Is there any possibility that we can stay here legally under a different visa (or applying for green card), after J1 and J2...

View more questions Search