Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2021, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    And that explains the doubtless hundreds of posts you have made in reply to my posts? Got it!
    My replies are in the interests of truth and accuracy when you so frequently post incorrect information. You're letting your ego get in your way.

You just don't want to have your beliefs questioned.
    My beliefs are not closed except for you. The reasons are obvious.

For instance, when I see this post of yours, I wonder if that is just your opinion, or are you contending it is true for everyone.
    It is an observation. Obviously I consider it to be an accurate observation, else I would not have posted it.

I realize you are not going to answer.
    If you realize that, why ask? Such an admission shows you are only interested in seeing your name in print.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2021, 06:35 PM
    Many words. No answer. Oh well.

On second thought there was an answer of sorts. You said your remarks were an observation you considered to be accurate. That could be merely an opinion which would be fine. It could also be a truth statement which would need support. I just am wondering what led you to that position.

The answer was a pleasant event.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2021, 07:38 PM
    Many words. No answer. Oh well.
    Having eyes, they saw not.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2021, 07:46 PM
    Having eyes he saw late, but did see. Look again.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2021, 08:20 PM
    Having eyes he saw late, but did see. Look again.
    Sorry, you get one shot - no longer playing your game.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2021, 08:30 PM
    Your choice. I always welcome opportunities to explain my beliefs, but I do realize that everyone does not feel that way.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2021, 09:34 PM
    I always welcome opportunities to explain my beliefs, but I do realize that everyone does not feel that way.
    FINALLY! All those replies worked. Good for you. You've made a giant step in maturity.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2021, 04:23 AM
    You must be speaking of my replies. Replying to questions is a rarity for you. Perhaps the day will come when you are confident enough in your beliefs to welcome the opportunity to defend them.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 17, 2021, 01:36 PM
    Yesterday I received my September Mensa Bulletin. The first letter to the editor caught my eye and made me think of this AMHD thread. Here's the letter:

***Phillip Power deserves points for valiant effort in "Intelligence & Unbelief: The Not-So-Causal Relationship" (August).

In Isaac Newton's day, pretty much everyone in the Western world was Christian. Quoting eminences from that era [as had the author of the article being commented on] supporting the belief in God isn't saying a whole lot. One did not cross the Church of England or the Vatican (or the Imams of Islam) lightly.

Closer to the issue: Believing in a God is not enough. Your God has to be fleshed out with attributes, and that's where the trouble starts. The God of the Bible comes across as a vicious, blood-loving, woman-hating, insecure bully.

Loading God with the job of creation has its own problems. God "designed" the impala to run fast to avoid the lion and "designed" the lion to catch and kill the impala. Then there is the wasp that lays its larvae in the body of a paralyzed tarantula to eat the tarantula alive from the inside out. Whose side is God on anyway?

One may reduce a belief in God to the simplest level as not more than a supernatural agent that provides personal comfort and solace. Well, that's all right. I suppose, if that is what you need.***
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2021, 01:40 PM
    The God of the Bible comes across as a vicious, blood-loving, woman-hating, insecure bully.
    He must be reading a different Bible from mine. I always think it's unfortunate when people get into the business of judging God. The shoe is actually on the other foot.

One may reduce a belief in God to the simplest level as not more than a supernatural agent that provides personal comfort and solace. Well, that's all right. I suppose, if that is what you need.***
    That would only be "all right" if it was true. If it's not true, then it's a terrible mistake. You cannot read the NT and come to such a conclusion unless you want to ignore the NT. Jesus absolutely does not leave us that option.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2021, 02:15 PM
    He must be reading a different Bible from mine.
    He's reading the same Bible. Especially the part where God exterminates all humanity except for Noah. Did you miss that part? And where Jesus sends unbelievers to eternal punishment in his private torture chamber.

You cannot read the NT and come to such a conclusion unless you want to ignore the NT.
    Of course, you can. All those atheists who were brought up as Christians read the NT and came to that conclusion.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2021, 02:22 PM
    Nope. As Confucius might have said, "He who is not willing to answer questions should not presume to ask them." I've answered your questions by the dozens while you sit back, shall we say, "shyly".

Here's the latest one in case you want to try and strap it on.

You said your remarks were an observation you considered to be accurate. That was not what I asked, however, I asked if your remark was an opinion, or was it a statement you considered to be true for everyone. Now your reply could have been merely an opinion which would be fine. It could also have been a truth statement which would need support. I just am wondering which position you are taking.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 17, 2021, 02:44 PM
    You said your remarks were an observation you considered to be accurate. That was not what I asked, however, I asked if your remark was an opinion, or was it a statement you considered to be true for everyone. Now your reply could have been merely an opinion which would be fine. It could also have been a truth statement which would need support. I just am wondering which position you are taking.
    And your remarks are....?
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2021, 02:54 PM
    I've answered your questions by the dozens while you sit back
    Why are you evading this question? Are you a coward?

Of course, we all know why you're evading it. Simply because your Bible comment was wrong - seriously wrong - and you know it, but are afraid to admit it. You've been outed, pal. Live with it.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2021, 07:18 PM
    Tell you what. If you will agree to these terms, I'll answer your question. We will exchange one question at a time. Each of us will agree to give honest and open answers. Agreed, oh thou courageous one?

Note to other readers. Prepare for a plateful of evasion.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 17, 2021, 07:32 PM
    Each of us will agree to give honest and open answers.
    No nastiness, no crabbing, no putdowns, no evasiveness, no insults, no rudeness.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2021, 07:37 PM
    That was actually intended for Athos. And I wanted to laugh out loud when I read the "no evasiveness" rule. You are the queen of evasion. You do it all the time and you know you do. But if you are willing to abide by your own rules, we can give it a go. You can ask first.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 17, 2021, 07:51 PM
    That was actually intended for Athos. And I wanted to laugh out loud when I read the "no evasiveness" rule. You are the queen of evasion. You do it all the time and you know you do. But if you are willing to abide by your own rules, we can give it a go. You can ask first.
    I know that was for him. And you're off to a bad start.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2021, 07:59 PM
    I guess that means you are out. Now it's a waiting game for Athos.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2021, 08:12 PM
    But understand that you are most welcome in. I actually don't think you want to, but we'll see.

Hope the hubster is doing better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Different religions [ 3 Answers ]

My family are in politics and his family are in politics also.. Im a Christian girl and he is Muslim.. We have been together for years.. Some of our family members knows about our relationship.. We tried to hide it still.. Because, our family have a bad history.. for short, they hate each other.....

Why do most, if not all, religions think they are right? [ 27 Answers ]

Believe in Jesus and you will be saved... what about all the people with the other beliefs? They can't go to Heaven? What if there were cultures in this world that never got the message about Jesus or Mohammed, etc. Why do most people in these faiths want to try and convince you that they are...

Different religions [ 3 Answers ]

OK so I'm Christian, but the boy I like is mormon and his whole family is jewish (dont know how that works) so there's nothing wrong with that right?

We are 2 different Religions! [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, my name is Leesand, I am a sophomore at college. I have known my boyfriend for a while, and we became really good friends when he was a senior in high school, and I a freshmen in college. Well we started dating in October, so its been 7 months. We both love each other but there is one...

View more questions Search