Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2021, 03:01 PM
    Now you are, in both cases, catching on.

Unanswered questions of the day.

1. If, as you agree, all religions are not equal, then which one or ones would be better than the others?
    2. If the words of Jesus are not reliable, then why do you bother to quote them?
    3. Since you appealed to the Bible, do you consider it to be the final arbiter of truth? If not, then why did you appeal to it?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2021, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    1. If, as you agree, all religions are not equal, then which one or ones would be better than the others?
    I don't rate them. That's God's job. My job is to love and care about my fellow humans.
    2. If the words of Jesus are not reliable, then why do you bother to quote them?
    To make you happy.
    3. Since you appealed to the Bible, do you consider it to be the final arbiter of truth?
    God is the final arbiter of truth.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2021, 04:34 PM
    When Moslems flew airplanes full of people into buildings full of people, was that philos?

When the God of the OT exterminated all humanity except for Noah, was that philos?

When the God of the NT (Jesus) condemned all non-believers to hell, was that philos?

The God(s) of the Bible are far worse than anything the Moslems ever did.
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2021, 05:59 PM
    I don't rate them. That's God's job. My job is to love and care about my fellow humans.
    But you did rate them. You said they were not all equal. That is a rating.

To make you happy.
    Unspeakably poor answer.

God is the final arbiter of truth.
    But you did not appeal to God. You appealed to the Bible.

When the God of the OT exterminated all humanity except for Noah, was that philos?

When the God of the NT (Jesus) condemned all non-believers to hell, was that philos?

How do you know God did those things?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2021, 06:10 PM
    But you did rate them. You said they were not all equal. That is a rating.
    They all teach various truths.
    Unspeakably poor answer.
    You don't want to be happy?
    But you did not appeal to God. You appealed to the Bible.
    When? What did I say?
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2021, 06:26 PM
    1. How do you know that what they say is true?

2. I would rather you be honest.

3. You referred to loving God and loving your neighbor. Remember?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2021, 06:41 PM
    1. How do you know that what they say is true?
    Some beliefs are: Be kind to others. Nonviolence. The spark or spirit of God is within our soul. Freedom to choose how to behave (free will).
    2. I would rather you be honest.
    What??? But then you can't diss me!
    3. You referred to loving God and loving your neighbor. Remember?
    That's in many religions.
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2021, 06:45 PM
    1. But how do you know those statements are true?

2. Like you just did to me?

3. Nope. You plainly said it was what Jesus said. That would be found in the Bible. And since you weren’t there to hear Him say those words, I don’t know why you did that.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2021, 07:05 PM
    1. But how do you know those statements are true?
    I know people who are members of those religions and have read up on them so I know what they're talking about..
    2. Like you just did to me?
    I was trying to make you laugh.
    3. Nope. You plainly said it was what Jesus said. That would be found in the Bible. And since you weren’t there to hear Him say those words, I don’t know why you did that.
    Jesus and a whole bunch of other holy men said that. You want chapters and verses from other holy books?
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2021, 07:17 PM
    1. How do you know your previous statements are true? (Some beliefs are: Be kind to others. Nonviolence. The spark or spirit of God is within our soul. Freedom to choose how to behave (free will).)

If you want to simply say they are beliefs, then that's fine. But to say they are "true" is a vastly more serious statement.

2. Right.

3. Back to being evasive. Why did you quote the Bible at first, but then decide that "God is the arbiter of truth"? Why the change?
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2021, 07:27 PM
    Yes. I want chapter/verse from other holy books.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2021, 07:34 PM
    Originally posted by Athos

How do you know God did those things?

Do you deny they are in your Bible?
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2021, 07:39 PM
    No. I fully accept that they are in the Bible. God is a God of judgment as well as a God of love. It's what Jesus told us.

The Moslems are not, as Abraham termed it, "The judge of the whole earth." Only God has that right.

I would like to know where your beliefs come from. Are they just your ideas, or do you appeal to anything beyond you? And until you are prepared to answer honestly and openly, then don't bother asking any more questions. At least WG answers SOME questions. You don't like answering any at all. It will require some courage.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2021, 08:05 PM
    Yes. I want chapter/verse from other holy books.
    Here's one: Hindu -- Bhakti Yoga, cultivating the love for others but also love for God.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2021, 08:46 PM
    No. I fully accept that they are in the Bible. God is a God of judgment as well as a God of love. It's what Jesus told us.
    So, you DO believe that God exterminated millions of human beings, and Jesus condemns billions of human being to eternal torture. How is that a God of Love?

I would like to know where your beliefs come from.
    My beliefs are no concern of yours.

Are they just your ideas,
    My ideas come from the thought processes in my mind, just as your ideas come from the thought processes in YOUR mind. We've been over this ground before, yet you still seem unable to grasp this simple fact.

until you are prepared to answer honestly and openly, then don't bother asking any more questions.
    Why do you insist on being an a**hole? I really don't understand it. For the record, you are NOT the arbiter here of questions and answers and discussions. I know you want to be, but you are not.

At least WG answers SOME questions.
    WG acts as she sees fit. She's nicer than me.

You don't like answering any at all.
    To repeat, when you can ask an honest question that is relevant and does not contain an ulterior motive (such as discerning the best way to condemn me for a belief that may be different than yours), then I will gladly answer any question asked. To date, you have been unable to do so.

It will require some courage.
    Lol - using such a childish challenge to force me to answer makes you look silly. I've got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2021, 04:29 AM
    Nope. Mr. Silent is going to have to start answering some questions.

My beliefs are no concern of yours.
    Fair enough, but then mine are also no concern of yours. The difference, of course, is that I don't mind having mine questioned. You plainly do.

Here's one: Hindu -- Bhakti Yoga, cultivating the love for others but also love for God.
    WG, plagiarizing from a website is not chapter/verse. Show me in the Vedas where this is taught. And if you can do that, then tell me if you were there when those ancient men spoke those words. If you weren't, then how do you know they actually spoke those words? After all, you doubt the words of Jesus for that reason, don't you?

At any rate, you appealed to the Bible, but later said that only God is the final arbiter of truth. But if that is true, then why did you appeal to the Bible? How do you know that is even true, and how do you know these statements are true? "Some beliefs are: Be kind to others. Nonviolence. The spark or spirit of God is within our soul. Freedom to choose how to behave (free will)." In other words, I'm asking how you establish truth. Are you saying these statements are true, or are you just stating an opinion? If you say they are true, then why do you believe that to be so?

Because something is believed within your circle of liberal friends does not establish it as true anymore than something being believed among my circle of conservative friends makes it true. That's why I generally don't appeal to the opinions and beliefs of others.

https://vedicfeed.com/5-stages-of-love-hinduism/
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2021, 08:46 AM
    Nope. Mr. Silent is going to have to start answering some questions.
    Sorry, pal. You don't make the rules here.

posted by Athos ---- My beliefs are no concern of yours.
    from Jl ----- Fair enough, but then mine are also no concern of yours.
    You have never been of the slightest concern to me. I find you close-minded and weak on grasping nuance. Both of those make you an uninteresting correspondent.

The difference, of course, is that I don't mind having mine questioned. You plainly do.
    No, it's just you - for reasons I have explained several times to you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2021, 09:04 AM
    WG, plagiarizing from a website is not chapter/verse.

Because something is believed within your circle of liberal friends does not establish it as true anymore than something being believed among my circle of conservative friends makes it true. That's why I generally don't appeal to the opinions and beliefs of others.
    I'm dealing with an ill husband and post when I am able. Sorry it wasn't complete and to your satisfaction.

And what is believed by you or me is not necessily true either. Thus, I'm interested in honest discussion.

My "circle of friends" are former coworkers/patrons who are Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Filipino, Thai, etc.

Bye for now.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2021, 09:26 AM
    You have never been of the slightest concern to me
    And that explains the doubtless hundreds of posts you have made in reply to my posts? Got it!

You just don't want to have your beliefs questioned. It's pretty obvious. For instance, when I see this post of yours, I wonder if that is just your opinion, or are you contending it is true for everyone. And if true for everyone, then how do you know it's true? I realize you are not going to answer. I just use it as an example.

The more interesting question is about the nature of God rather than the nature of religion which most people have already figured out in the sense that they're all basically similar at their basic root.

Even the mystery of God is secondary to how humans have worked out the message of God. In other words, what is the correct way that God teaches us to live a life among other people. How we treat others is far more important than how we understand God.

I'm dealing with an ill husband and post when I am able.
    Very sorry to hear that, WG. Life can be tough for sure.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 16, 2021, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Why are there so many different religions?

​Because they are so many different humans.
    Maybe they aren't so different and would see that if they shut up and learned to respectfully listen and weren't so intense on being more divine or sacred than another human.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Different religions [ 3 Answers ]

My family are in politics and his family are in politics also.. Im a Christian girl and he is Muslim.. We have been together for years.. Some of our family members knows about our relationship.. We tried to hide it still.. Because, our family have a bad history.. for short, they hate each other.....

Why do most, if not all, religions think they are right? [ 27 Answers ]

Believe in Jesus and you will be saved... what about all the people with the other beliefs? They can't go to Heaven? What if there were cultures in this world that never got the message about Jesus or Mohammed, etc. Why do most people in these faiths want to try and convince you that they are...

Different religions [ 3 Answers ]

OK so I'm Christian, but the boy I like is mormon and his whole family is jewish (dont know how that works) so there's nothing wrong with that right?

We are 2 different Religions! [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, my name is Leesand, I am a sophomore at college. I have known my boyfriend for a while, and we became really good friends when he was a senior in high school, and I a freshmen in college. Well we started dating in October, so its been 7 months. We both love each other but there is one...

View more questions Search