Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2021, 06:41 AM
    Huh?
    So Biden has mandated vaccinations.
    Mr. Biden noted that many large companies already require vaccinations. "The bottom line — we're going to protect vaccinated workers from unvaccinated coworkers," he said.
    But if the vaccine works, then why would vaccinated people need to be protected from unvaccinated people?

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates...-announcement/
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2021, 07:56 AM
    Because the covid virus can live for at least three hours, so unvaccinated people can transmit virus droplets onto vaccinated people who then can infect unvaccinated people.

This is why vaccinated people need to wear masks.
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2021, 08:29 AM
    1. That seems to be a pretty far-fetched scenario. At any rate, it would still be the unvaccinated people at risk, wouldn't it? How would that amount to protection for the vaccinated people? "...transmit virus droplets onto vaccinated people who then can infect unvaccinated people."

2. Masks have repeatedly been shown to provide but little protection. At least the masks that are not N-95s which is most of them. And they provide practically no protection for the person wearing the mask. The idea has been to make the mask wearer less likely to be a spreader of the disease. Or at least that's my understanding on it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2021, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    How would that amount to protection for the vaccinated people? "...transmit virus droplets onto vaccinated people who then can infect unvaccinated people."
    Stop with the literalist crap! Those vaccinated people work with, dine with, go home to unvaccinated people whom they can infect, thus the mask.
    2. Masks have repeatedly been shown to provide but little protection. At least the masks that are not N-95s which is most of them. And they provide practically no protection for the person wearing the mask. The idea has been to make the mask wearer less likely to be a spreader of the disease. Or at least that's my understanding on it.
    They're better than nothing and are supposed to be tossed out after one use. (Do you want an unvaccinated, unmasked person sneezing and coughing on you in an elevator?) The N95s and KN95s can be reused after appropriate measures have been taken.
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2021, 10:12 AM
    Stop with the literalist crap!
    Was that loving??? Well, try being accurate with your words. There is no way that a protection of the vaccinated is happening in Biden's weird world.

They're better than nothing and are supposed to be tossed out after one use.
    Better than nothing? How reassuring.

(Do you want an unvaccinated, unmasked person sneezing and coughing on you in an elevator?)
    I'm vaccinated.

The N95s and KN95s can be reused after appropriate measures have been taken.
    The N95s are effective, but the average person is wearing a paper mask which leaks air at several spots and is largely ineffective.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2021, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Better than nothing? How reassuring.
    Like a condom.
    I'm vaccinated.
    Is everyone in your realm vaccinated? Neighbors? Fellow churchgoers? Grandchildren? Grocery clerks?
    The N95s are effective, but the average person is wearing a paper mask which leaks air at several spots and is largely ineffective.
    They're better than nothing. Even just talking causes a regular stream of droplets to flow forth from one's mouth.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2021, 11:34 AM
    It is more divide America rhetoric from Quid who was going to heal America's divisions . Two of the biggest demographics not getting the vaccine are minorities and low income. Should one of the criteria for getting welfare, food stamps and other such handouts is proof of vaccination ? Hordes of illegal immigrants that he invited walk across our southern border and are shuffled to secret locations around the country. Does he mandate they gat vaxed before entry ? 100,000 or more Afghans are being relocated to the US has he mandated they get vaxed ? He wasn’t angry or frustrated at AQ/Taliban terrorists who slaughtered 13 Americans at Kabul airport . He wasn't angry about the sex trafficking flowing into America through our southern border and on planes loaded with Afghan “refugees .We know for a fact that adult men were travelling with teen brides .

So he is targeting the workers of America by unconstitutionally compelling the employer to be the enforcement arm of the Federal government . American workers only face the choice of being vaxed or losing their livelihood.

To the left ,no vax /no mask is the new MAGA hat . Howard Stern said " f their freedom . Arnold Schwarzenegger said 'to hell with your freedom. The boy genius David Hogg in a May tweet said"I feel the need to continue wearing my mask outside even though I’m fully vaccinated because the inconvenience of having to wear a mask is more than worth it to have people not think I’m a conservative "
    Therein is the thought process behind Quid's mandate . Your body my choice .

to be continued .
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2021, 11:48 AM
    The choice he offers is no choice to the workers or the employers . Terribly lacking in this country is a cheap dependable covid test . The Europeans are well ahead of us in that regard . Does anyone really think that there is close to enough test kits /swabs /reagents /medical personnel/testing sites to test 80 million or even half that amount of workers weekly ? And who pays for it ? The Unfunded Mandates Reform Act was passed in 1995 to prevent such a silly scenario . Is OSHA or the Dept of Labor funded to monitor this ? No and if they were it would be through Congressional authority and not the temper tantrum of an imperial President .

This mandate will go the way of the unconstitutional rent moratorium . Quid knows it is unconstitutional and he does it anyway to buy time and appease his base .

There is much more to say . But enough for now .
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2021, 11:48 AM
    Your first two paragraphs were so good that I cp'd them on Facebook. It's just amazing that the "my body, my choice" mantra is used repeatedly for abortion where it is basically a lie, but ignored here where it IS accurate.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2021, 04:00 AM
    “For the vast majority of you who have gotten vaccinated, I understand your anger at those who haven’t gotten vaccinated,”“ I understand the anxiety about getting a ‘breakthrough’ case. But as the science makes clear, if you’re fully vaccinated, you’re highly protected from severe illness, even if you get COVID-19.”
    Yes his mandate is typical Quid incoherence. So the vax is effective but the vaxed must be protected from the unvaxed ....
    The 1st part is true according to the CDC .
    About 99.999% of fully vaccinated Americans have not had a deadly Covid-19 breakthrough case, CDC data shows - CNN
    The Vax is highly effective . If so the 2nd part must be false. Even if the vaxed can spread the disease ;the only people at serious risk are the unvaxed .

Is Quid using this as a wedge issue ? Of course . When asked if it was dividing the nation ,"an official close to Biden " said “Is America divided? Yes. But Biden is uniting the 75% vs. the 25% that is in opposition.
    Top Republicans call for rebellion against Biden's vaccine mandates - Axios
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2021, 05:03 AM
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is alerting clinical laboratory staff and health care providers that false positive results can occur with antigen tests, including when users do not follow the instructions for use of antigen tests for the rapid detection of SARS-CoV-2. Generally, antigen tests are indicated for the qualitative detection of SARS-CoV-2 antigens in authorized specimen types collected from individuals who are suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within a certain number of days of symptom onset. The FDA is aware of reports of false positive results associated with antigen tests used in nursing homes and other settings and continues to monitor and evaluate these reports and other available information about device safety and performance.
    Potential for False Positive Results with Antigen Tests for Rapid Detection of SARS-CoV-2 - Letter to Clinical Laboratory Staff and Health Care Providers | FDA

Bottom line . The rapid covid test is NOT 100% accurate .
    How accurate are rapid tests for diagnosing COVID-19? | Cochrane

Should workers lose their jobs over that ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search