Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2021, 12:58 PM
    I frankly find this offensive to my life's work
    Empty "self" and enter into the body of Christ Jesus...life's work is all that is needed.
    I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. I've spent the last 50 years searching the Scriptures in their original languages, seeking how to know and love Jesus and be more like Him.

You're telling me it was all wasted, all I need is some emotional experience.

My instinctive response isn't appropriate for this forum, but if you are determined to insult me, I have one thing to say:

bring it on, kid. Let's see what you've got.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2021, 02:06 PM
    Speaking as someone with two advanced degrees in the biblical languages, you are full of something, but it ain't the Holy Spirit.
    So they taught you how to make vulgar comments in those two advanced degrees?

I gave you both the lexical definition and the contextual definition as set out in both Testaments.
    If you gave either one, I didn't see it, so where was that? This is the only post you made prior to today. "I don't know who told you that, but it's wrong. 'Unconditional love' is pretty much the dictionary definition. Always has been." I supplied both lexicon and dictionary entries as you actually copied in your post, and none of it supported your definition of agape as "unconditional love". I have seen nothing from you. Perhaps I missed it.

You are quibbling over the fact that none of them used the word "unconditional." You're playing word games, nothing more.
    Oh please. That's like saying, "The definition said it meant unconditional love except, of course, that it didn't say it." Did you learn that in your two advanced degrees also?

I frankly find this offensive to my life's work. You're trivializing one of the most important ideas in the Bible.
    Then you need to get over yourself. This is an internet message board for crying out loud, and you think someone has offended your life's work? HERE??? Well, if you think I'm going to accept your comments because you are full of yourself, then you are sadly mistaken.

1 Tim 2:1-2. I want to hear you explain how "all people" doesn't really mean "all people." I want your explanation for how "wants ALL to come to [Jesus] doesn't really mean everybody
    All means "all people". And yes, it means everybody. I have not contested that. However, it certainly does not say that all people DO come to Jesus. Jesus, in fact, said that would not happen.

"13“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." So tell me, does "many" mean "many", and does "few" mean "few"?

You might as well stop bragging about your degrees and "life work". That means nothing. If you can defend your positions, then go for it, but I'll tell you right now that I'm not intimidated with your degrees. I respect education as much as anyone, but it should prepare you to be able to make a compelling case for your ideas. Just expecting us to believe your comments because you have two advanced degrees and a "life work" is foolishness.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2021, 02:19 PM
    bring it on, kid. Let's see what you've got.
    That was uncalled for. Walter said nothing offensive to you. He simply offered his opinion.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 1, 2021, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    So they taught you how to make vulgar comments in those two advanced degrees?
    Vulgar? He didn't say anything vulgar. Your imagination is working overtime. The saying is, "You're full of applesauce!"
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2021, 02:28 PM
    you are full of something, but it ain't the Holy Spirit.
    What do you think he meant by that? Applesauce? Yeah, I'm sure that was it. I know you are fully committed to supporting your buddies at all costs, but that's really excessive.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 1, 2021, 03:04 PM
    What do you think he meant by that? Applesauce? Yeah, I'm sure that was it. I know you are fully committed to supporting your buddies at all costs, but that's really excessive.
    Yes, applesauce.

"Err on the side of kindness." -Kurt Fearnley. And Eph. 4:32a, "Be kind and compassionate to one another."
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2021, 03:06 PM
    It came from the same guy who said this. "My instinctive response isn't appropriate for this forum..." So yeah, I'm pretty sure he wasn't referring to applesauce. And the scripture you quoted about being kind and compassionate is simply allegorical. It is not meant to be taken literally. Remember?

At any rate, is this your example of how to be kind and compassionate? "This thread so far is a perfect example of why I don't cherry-pick and toss Bible verses around."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 1, 2021, 03:15 PM
    It came from the same guy who said this. "My instinctive response isn't appropriate for this forum..." So yeah, I'm pretty sure he wasn't referring to applesauce. And the scripture you quoted about being kind and compassionate is simply allegorical. It is not meant to be taken literally. Remember?
    Why are you being mean and making fun of me? Okay. I'm gone.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2021, 03:20 PM
    You always say I'm too literal, don't you? But if I'm being mean, then I do apologize. It's been a stressful afternoon, and then I come home to read DW's diatribe which was aggravating.

But I must confess that I don't understand why you want to lecture me but then not follow your own advice.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Sep 2, 2021, 03:06 PM
    I understand John 3:16 as being "SO"-.as So, (thus. just like) John 3:15- like the snake in the wilderness...
    All you need is to Look at the Cross, just look!

I frankly find this offensive to my life's work
    Isaiah 64:6 says that “all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags.” The Pharisees had a righteousness, but Jesus asserts that our righteousness must exceed theirs (Matthew 5:20), meaning that we need to have His righteousness imputed to us, which becomes our new covering, our new garment. As we become one with Him and submit to taking on His image, we have a righteousness that does not come from our works but from God's …

Your Fight is with Jesus, not me.

I'm out.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2021, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by waltero View Post
    Your Fight is with Jesus, not me.

I'm out.
    This is a familiar refrain from evangelicals. When they leave a discussion with nothing more to contribute, they say, "Your fight is with Jesus, not me". Where have I heard that before?

(Note my civility in replying to W.)
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2021, 05:07 PM
    I understand John 3:16 as being "SO"-.as So, (thus. just like) John 3:15- like the snake in the wilderness...
    That's probably fair enough, and yet the text still says that God loves the world. The 15th verse is a beautiful thought for sure. Emphasizes grace in a wonderful way.

I'm still thinking about your observation about the sermons in Acts and their non-mention of love. Soon I'm going to take each sermon in Acts, one at a time, and try to see what they did emphasize. Was there a pattern?

This is what Paul talked about. Acts 24:25. "As Paul talked about righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come..."

Reminds me of Spurgeon's conversion experience.

I have no idea what got DW so upset. Seemed strange to me. Your remark seemed pretty harmless to me.
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2021, 05:20 AM
    One more thing. I spent a little time this morning looking to see if I could find a major translation that used "unconditional" in conjunction with "love". There was not a single one. I then looked at some paraphrases. Nothing. Looked at both the Amplified and Expanded versions. Nothing. Even looked at the old J.B. Philips paraphrase. Still nothing. So it certainly seems fair to say that English translations do not render "agape" as "unconditional love".

Now you can appeal to context, and that might help out some, but not to actual translations, and that seems pretty conclusive to me as far as the simple meaning of "agape" is concerned. But I'm open to the viewpoints of others if they have support from other areas.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2021, 02:50 PM
    There's seem to be no other contributors to Walter's thread, so we are continuing with a somewhat related topic.

This is from WG.

Originally Posted by jlisenbe
    It's not what I believe. It's what Jesus declared.

Please read that blog post for a better understanding of what hell is.

Too late. I already have. Your statement is just flat wrong. It is widely believed that Revelation was the last of the NT books written and was produced in the final decade of the first century.

Please research this.

Deal. At least you are now admitting that you were, indeed, condescending.

Nope, am just trying to placate you. :-)

This from JL

Nope, am just trying to placate you. :-)

So you are going to stop that which you were not doing? Sorry, but as we say down here, "That dog just won't hunt."

Please research this.

Take your own advice. I've been doing that for the past twenty years. You're just wrong and you don't want to admit it.

Please read that blog post for a better understanding of what hell is.

Pretty sure they don't have a better explanation than Jesus did. I read one article. If that one's a loser like your first one was since, according to you, it was based on a book that's not supposed to be in the Bible, then I'm done.

In John 3:16 it says that whoever believes in Jesus, "would not perish". What do you think "perish" means in that passage? Honest question.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 6, 2021, 04:44 PM
    Jesus not only triumphed over hell, but also defeated hell by suffering hell away. Christ himself suffered the dread and horror of a distressed conscience that tasted eternal wrath…to be killed and damned, or to be in death and hell…to have the same consciousness as the damned—that is death, THAT is the descent into hell.
    https://www.1517.org/articles/the-su...g-away-of-hell
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2021, 05:04 PM
    Jesus not only triumphed over hell, but also defeated hell by suffering hell away. Christ himself suffered the dread and horror of a distressed conscience that tasted eternal wrath…to be killed and damned, or to be in death and hell…to have the same consciousness as the damned—that is death, THAT is the descent into hell.
    Now if you can just get the Bible to say that, then you'll have a case. But the Bible doesn't say that. Jesus, in contrast, Himself said this. It is a lengthy, clear, detailed passage that completely contradicts your idea.

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
    34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
    37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
    40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
    41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
    44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
    45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
    46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 6, 2021, 05:23 PM
    Now if you can just get the Bible to say that, then you'll have a case. But the Bible doesn't say that. Jesus, in contrast, Himself said this.
    And Jesus wrote that down Himself....or there's a recording somewhere?
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2021, 05:33 PM
    And He wrote down what you claimed to true? Why are you using different standards? And if you claim not to believe what He said here because you can't find "a recording somewhere", then how do you believe anything He or anyone else in the Bible said? You render the Bible utterly meaningless.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 6, 2021, 05:42 PM
    When was it written down? By whom? As it was spoken? As a memory? By word-of-mouth?
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2021, 05:46 PM
    The New Testament was nearly all completed by A.D. 70. It was written by eye witnesses or people who knew eye witnesses. It was also written in the lifetime of those who could have contradicted the whole story because they were eye witnesses as well. That did not happen. Wonder why?

You did not answer this. " And if you claim not to believe what He said here because you can't find "a recording somewhere", then how do you believe anything He or anyone else in the Bible said?"

Also never answered this. What does "perish" mean as used in John 3:16?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I just want my girlfriend to love me again, I love her but she doesn't love me anymore [ 34 Answers ]

3 moths ago, I broke up with my girlfriend for no reason at all. And for the past 2 months she tried and tried to make me go back to her. But I didn't give her a chance. That was the biggest mistake in my life. And then as time passes, we just don't get along anymore, and I keep pushing her away...

I love a girl, I found some one is also loving her. I haven't told my love to her, [ 5 Answers ]

I love a girl, I found some one is also loving her. I haven't told my love to her, but he does. One day I saw she scolding him, at that time I was happy. BUT TODAY I FOUND THAT the are talking something secretly, what should I do.

I love a boy who love me earlier but now he hates me but I still love him [ 13 Answers ]

I love a boy who love me earlier but now he hates me but I still love him... Because of some misunderstanding and maybe he got bored.. I myself don't know the real reason ... but I still love him... how can I get him back...

Behind the scenes worker falls in love with a woman competing for a mans love [ 1 Answers ]

What movie is about how a woman competes to win the love of a bachelor on a TV show then falls in love with one of the workers?

Love, understanding love, types of love [ 12 Answers ]

I thought this would be interesting to discuss. We all use love so much, we could say we love someone, then the next moment, we say we love our car, or wed love a big mac. I was watching this interesting video, in which this guy explained that the hebrews had 3 words for love. Raya- friendship...

View more questions Search