Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2021, 07:12 AM
    Student Loan "Forgiveness"?
    Saw this posted on Facebook. "Student loans are preventing people from buying homes, starting businesses, and so much more. Forgiving student loan debt and making college affordable and accessible can fix our broken system."

Something seems funny about this subject. No one ever says, "Hey, guys. Let's all pitch in ten grand and help these poor souls pay off their debts." There is always just the idea of "forgiveness". Well, money doesn't work that way. We will all end up paying for it one way or the other. It would be much more accurate, though less popular, to put it this way. ""Student loans are preventing people from buying homes, starting businesses, and so much more. Forcing other people to pay off these loans by government force and making college affordable and accessible in the same manner (money taken by law from others) can fix our broken system."
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 24, 2021, 10:02 AM
    And why is college so "necessary"? I didn't need my B.A. when I worked as a State Farm bodily-injury secretary. (I just had to know how to spell and do business typing.) I didn't need my B.A. when I worked as a PT assistant at a hospital. (I received training on site.) I didn't need my B.A. when I worked first as a clerk, then graduated to manager at a drug store. I didn't need a B.A. to start and run (still running) my own business.

My vote is for vocational guidance and training! Then student loan forgiveness won't be such a burden, an issue.
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2021, 11:06 AM
    You said of lot of truth. A college degree can be valuable, but learning a job is the main thing. When I talk with a high schooler, they will usually say, "I'm going to college to study XYZ." When I then ask them what they want to do post-college, they frequently have no idea.

How's the hubster doing?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2021, 11:15 AM
    I am in sympathy . They have lemon laws when the seller knows they are selling a corrupt bad deal that was made worse by government guarantees . I just don't see wealth redistribution as the answer . I paid off what little I borrowed . I did not borrow because I worked in high school and throughout my college years .
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2021, 11:19 AM
    " I paid off what little I borrowed . I did not borrow..." Huh?

I sympathize with them as well. They were sold a bill of goods, but I don't agree with forcing other Americans to step in for them. We need a different approach to college educations.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2021, 11:25 AM
    meant to say did not borrow much .....less than 2 years of college expenses . Loans were private .

I did not qualify for whatever assistance was available ;or maybe I did and did not look hard enough for them. I don't recall which.

Turns out that the jobs I took while going to college were more helpful to me then my course work in my ultimate career path .
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Aug 24, 2021, 11:27 AM
    We need a different approach to college educations.
    How about good old fashion "Hard Work."
    Kids go to College for the "College experience." Do you want to know what the College experience is?
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2021, 11:30 AM
    I worked summer and part-time jobs. My parents chipped in and helped out as well. I ended up with no debt when I got out. It never occurred to me to go and borrow money.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Aug 24, 2021, 11:38 AM
    What do kids know about borrowing (about as much as they know about hard work)? They offered you loads of money if you go to College, yuppie...sign me up!!!

SHOW ME THE MONEY!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 24, 2021, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    We need a different approach to college educations.
    Like I said above, much more emphasis on vocational guidance and training is needed.

AND colleges and universities must stop making retired professors and retired area businessmen their higher-ed CEOs and VPs that are paid a hefty salary -- to do what???

Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    How's the hubster doing?
    Yesterday was great, today less so. Hot and very humid here. That doesn't help at all.
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2021, 12:16 PM
    Yesterday was great, today less so. Hot and very humid here. That doesn't help at all.
    God bless you both. Life can be difficult, but God is faithful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

F1 student for "student contract" position in Federal Government Agency [ 0 Answers ]

Hi Friends, I am an international F1 student (Indian) and got six months "student research contract" position in an agency of the federal government of the United States. What my employers need is to register in Central Contractor Registry(CCR) as sole-proprietor and proceed to obtain the DUNS...

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

State tax return garnished d/t "student loan" [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, My state tax return ($289) was garnished I found out today due to some kind of outstanding student loan. I am told that it may be me or my wife but the state tax office will not say who it is exactly and will not tell me what "agency" has garnished the return. I am told to call the...

View more questions Search