Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 22, 2021, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Well, Afghanistan is a disaster and Trump accurately described it. Your TDS is just kicking up again. It’ll pass.
    You haven't changed. When you're losing, insult your opponent before you walk away.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2021, 06:41 PM
    Walk away? You’ve never seen that in me. Now you disappear for days at a time.

I was not insulting you, but you have gone down a road with this trump accusation that is leading nowhere.
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2021, 07:03 PM
    Our situation in Afghanistan is very much similar to Dunkirk.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2021, 07:08 PM
    America evacuated from Chosin Reservoir . No one ever claimed it was a victory .Everyone considers our exit from Vietnam a defeat and disaster . But over 138,000 Vietnamese were evacuated in that disaster in aa couple of days .,and were processed as refuges here .

There is no certainty that all Americans will be evacuated let alone the 10s of thousand Afghanis that were loyal to us . .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 22, 2021, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Walk away? You’ve never seen that in me. Now you disappear for days at a time.
    Then please tell my husband not to be ill. I'm gone again. Bye.
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2021, 04:19 AM
    I do hope he recovers soon. God bless you both.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Aug 23, 2021, 12:21 PM
    You two are Hilarious!

understand the difference between the words loss and evacuation.
     Why don't we call it what it was...“Miracle at Dunkirk!” Only God knows.

Who's the Dumkirk? *cough* Trump thinks Dunkirk was a loss.
    Trump said, "This could be—Afghanistan—another Dunkirk.”
    “We must be very careful not to assign to this deliverance the attributes of a victory,” Churchill warned in a speech delivered on June 4, 1940.

Dunkirk/Afghanistan - Can you say - "Phony War."  Dunkirk all over again...here we have the same incompetence, lack of preparation, and refusal to recognize the seriousness of the situation that characterized the first nine months of WWII...yet another Phony War.

Brits were able to evacuate only because Hitler refused to commit his tanks to the attack because he believed they needed infantry support. So he delayed the attack on the beach
    Why did Hitler issue the halt order? No one knows for sure. I believe his ego got in the way, he wanted his generals to know who was in charge.

jlisenbe
    : Greetings my friend.
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2021, 12:50 PM
    And to you, Walter. Good to see you back.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2021, 12:53 PM
    probably ...but I also think it was the nature of how the Germans conducted war . They did not plan for the rapid folding of the Brit /French front so their tanks outran not only their infantry ,but also their fuel supply. Patton ran into the same issue in Lorraine after the breakout .
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2021, 12:59 PM
    There has long been the idea out there that Hitler thought that giving the Brits a break might cause them to be more open to peace (surrender) talks.

Aug 23, 2021, 01:14 PM
    German historian Karl Heinz Friedser, after close scrutiny of all available documents, has convincingly argued that Hitler did not, in fact, call off the attack as an olive branch to Churchill. In fact his decision was the result of his intention to, once and for all, make it clear to the military leadership that he was in fact the supreme commander of the German armed forces, and not them.

I think this one better suits Mein Fuhrer
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2021, 01:28 PM
    Probably does. Things were going well for Herr Hitler at that point so he wanted everyone, I'm sure. to know of his supposed military genius.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2021, 01:51 PM
    Blitzkrieg was a risky way to fight , As mentioned there was the issue of extended lines ,and the risk of being flanked . Frieser points that out in "The Blitzkrieg Legend".

Aug 23, 2021, 03:24 PM
    Blitzkrieg was a risky way to fight
    Too true. The Germans were all about Taking Risks.  Declaring War (unwitting component) all the while planning to do the same thing (Ardennes) in WWII as they did in WWI (Ardennes)...The war ended with them playing the same tune at the Battle of the Bulge (Ardennes).  

Hitler ordered Luftwaffe to destroy the Allied troops at Dunkirk - and any ships attempting to evacuate them. Göring stated Luftwaffe could do it. Unfortunately, Göring had promised more than he could deliver
    For whatever reason; Hitler halted all movement on the front. He thought his man Goring had it Covered.
    Goring would fail him once more at Stalingrad... Goring (a yes-man...perfect politician) was our best ally.

Now that the Taliban is out in the open why not send in the clones...uh err I mean Drones???
    Might possibly be the greatest victory (pretend we are withdrawing, then strike with a vengeance) the World has ever seen...another Dunkirk (In reverse)!

A yah, were leaving, ya see, yah yah that's it. We're gonna get the heck outta here...you Win! bye bye now. When they come out into the open...hit em with everything we got!!!

Instead, we get: hey, hey, guys listen up here: turns out we forgot to tell some of the people we were leaving (who knew, thought they liked it there), So we're going to send some more guys in, just to collect them...If you interfere with our evacuation efforts you'll be sorry...We Promise you that...be afraid, be very afraid. I think they are afeared of us now!

I mean it's turning into a modern-day Dunkirk. We have United Airlines, two from Hawaiian Airlines and three from each – American Airlines, Atlas Air, Delta Air Lines, and Omni Air coming to the rescue.

We WIN!
    America's Dunkirk.
    Woot, Woot! I mean it sure feels the same, doesn't it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does the ‘deep state’ exist? If so, what is it? [ 16 Answers ]

The deep state is no myth but a sodden, intertwined mass of bloated, self-replicating bureaucracy that constitutes the real power in Washington and that stubbornly outlasts every administration. As government programs have incrementally multiplied, so has their regulatory apparatus, with its...

Can you recover after being brain dead? [ 4 Answers ]

Young relative(20 yrs old) is on life support and is brain dead, what are her chances of recovering?

Brain dead [ 34 Answers ]

Hello: Let's say my wife was brain dead and scheduled to be removed from life support tomorrow. I didn't want to wait and pulled the plug today. Am I guilty of murder? If I am, why wouldn't the doctor be guilty, who's going to pull the plug tomorrow? excon

If you are considered brain dead, what makes your heart still beat [ 1 Answers ]

If you are considered brain dead, what makes your heart still beat

What happens when you are pronounced brain dead. [ 13 Answers ]

My son has a friend the other night his parents found him face down in the carpet and noticed that when his father turned him over he was blue and had asperated... he does not know how long he was out for and at that time there was no pulse... he has been in ICU since Saturday early morning. There...

View more questions Search