Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanPatrick10 Posts: 134, Reputation: 5

Aug 19, 2021, 05:40 PM
    Used Car Buying - Wire Transfer
    Bid on a used car auction yesterday on Bring a Trailer and won. First time I won a car auction online. I was very excited about it. The seller had more than 140+ detailed pictures of the car including a paint thickness gauge measuring the paint on each panel. I even requested a video of the car running and driving which the seller promptly uploaded with limited time left on the auction.

The problem is I'm out of state and he's got the title but wants me to send him the money via wire transfer. I've been told explicitly by others and what I've read online not to wire money to the seller if you don't have the title because of internet fraud. There's no guarantee I will ever see the car or it'll arrive in the condition seen in the pics if I wire the money.

I've asked the seller if I could send a deposit via Paypal and he could send me the title, the rest of the cash to be sent once I got the title. He refused that offer so I asked if I could use an escrow service like escrow.com to hold the funds until the car is shipped to me and I inspect in within an agreed upon time period. He doesn't want to do that either. So, the seller is leaving me with very few options. Normally when I buy a car, I just hand the seller cash, get the title and it's good to go. I've traveled to buy a car and drove it home. But, I don't want to do that in this case because it's a low-mileage vintage and I'd rather ship it enclosed carry.

I can understand where the seller's coming from if he's a legitimate seller. Some escrow services are scams and maybe he's worried he's not going to get paid. But, I don't think he's putting himself in my shoes either. I bid a lot of money on this car and I really don't want to wire the money to him. I'd appreciate any additional advice on how to proceed with the transaction or shared experiences on out-of-state car buying and how a mutually agreeable arrangement was made.

Check out some similar questions!

Conecting 3 wire 110 V to 4 wire transfer swich [ 3 Answers ]

Connect 110V gen. to 4 wire transfer switch.

Wire transfer [ 5 Answers ]

I have a friend who is in London and is using Citibank to transfer over $100,000 to his account in usa. He is telling me there is a tax fee and bank fee that adds to 4000 in pounds. Does this sound like too much??

Tax help on wire transfer? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a US citizen living in Japan. Currently, due to the differential in currency strength between yen and dollars it would be advantageous to transfer money from my Japanese bank account to my US bank account. The amount in question is a bit less than $100,000 in US dollars. I do file federal...

Can we transfer 40K from Brazil.. via wire transfer? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife's sister in Brazil needs to send her portion of a property that was sold... can she wire transfer the amount of $40K to her American Bank account... are there anything or conditions that we need to know?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.