Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2021, 08:17 PM
    I call it a more successful program than yours which has a 50% dropout rate
    Sheer lunacy. I just gave you the data about our dropout rate. Read a little before you post such a ridiculous figure. It's not even close to being correct.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2021, 08:30 PM
    I do read, where do you think I got that statistic but you only believe statistics selectively
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2021, 04:07 AM
    You got that statistic from your own prejudiced imagination. It is ridiculously wrong. But you are welcome to post a link if you can find one that agrees with that foolishness.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2021, 06:41 AM
    You only read links that agree with you so why should I bother trying to educate you?
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2021, 06:47 AM
    You can't because you have nothing. Your bitterness and hatred have once again led you into a blind alley. No one here is foolish enough to believe the dropout rate in the U.S. is 50%. It is sheer nonsense. You're just mad because, as it turns out, your dropout rate is higher.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2021, 08:39 AM
    "College dropout rates average at 40% each academic year for undergraduate students. College dropout rates are 20% higher for male students in comparison to female students. 44% of students who take part in a four-year college course manage to graduate within the first six years. Public universities have a higher than average dropout rate of 50%."
    https://www.thinkimpact.com/college-dropout-rates/
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2021, 08:51 AM
    The discussion was about high school dropout rates, not college. Still, I would certainly agree that our college dropout rate is abysmal, though it seems that it is more like 40% than 50%. I would imagine that much of the problem centers around poor planning by young people heading off to college.

This site has a ton of material.

The issue of dropout is most prominent in the American higher education system. Approximately, one in three students who enroll for higher education is never able to earn a degree.

• The overall college dropout rate in the U.S. is 40% for undergraduates, wherein the U.S. ranks 19th in graduation among 28 countries in OECD studies.
    https://admissionsly.com/college-dropout-rates/

Regarding Australia's performance, this makes me very suspicious of what they are doing. "Essentially anyone who wants to go to university can do so through a number of alternative pathways — even if he or she has done poorly in high school or dropped out. Universities have been required to increase supports for these students — to get them in and then to graduate them."

https://hechingerreport.org/australi...lege-students/
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2021, 09:29 AM
    1. Every year, over 1.2 million students drop out of high school in the United States alone. That’s a student every 26 seconds – or 7,000 a day.[1]
    2. About 25% of high school freshmen fail to graduate from high school on time.[2]
    3. The U.S., which had some of the highest graduation rates of any developed country, now ranks 22nd out of 27 developed countries.[3] https://www.dosomething.org/us/facts...ime.%20%5B2%5D
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2021, 09:45 AM
    1. About 25% of high school freshmen fail to graduate from high school on time.[2]
    If you check the reference, that figure is for Los Angeles, not for the entire country. The national drop out rate is around 10 to 15%. I don't like dishonest articles like that one.

Bear in mind that the national drop out rate does not factor in those students who later get a GED.

More info. "In 2017–18, the ACGRs (graduates from HS in four years) for American Indian/Alaska Native2 (74 percent), Black (79 percent), and Hispanic (81 percent) public high school students were below the U.S. average of 85 percent. The ACGRs for White (89 percent) and Asian/Pacific Islander3 (92 percent) students were above the U.S. average." That does not factor in those students who get a diploma in a fifth year of high school.

https://nces.ed.gov/FastFacts/display.asp?id=805
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2021, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    If you check the reference, that figure is for Los Angeles, not for the entire country. The national drop out rate is around 10 to 15%. I don't like dishonest articles like that one.
    Please quote the sentence(s) in that referenced article that say that.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2021, 10:55 AM
    This is the article referenced, but there is no link to get to it. Still, it clearly says it is about Los Angeles.

Silver, David, Marisa Saunders, and Estela Zarate. "What Factors Predict High School Graduation in the Los Angeles Unified School District." Attendance Counts. Accessed February 18, 2015.

Now I did what you did not do. I troubled myself to find the article. Here it is. I'll let you browse through the 25 or so pages looking for the stat. But it is simply not true to say that the 4 year dropout rate for the entire country is 25%. I've given you plenty of evidence for that. All that is necessary is for you to read it. The NCES is the National Center for Education Statistics. It is widely recognized and accepted as opposed to "dosomething.org", but take your pick. All up to you.

http://www.attendancecounts.org/word...Study-2008.pdf
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2021, 11:27 AM
    I read it before I posted it as a link (with .pdf and also a wp text)
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2021, 12:10 PM
    I was referring to your post 28. You have never posted the pdf link I posted in link 31. That was the reference used in the "dosomething.org" site. The Thinkimpact site you linked to in post 26 had a gazillion stats with no specific references as to where they came from. So I just picked one of the random links they had. It took me to "admissionsly". That site said the college dropout rate was 33%. So with all due respect, your links do not agree with each other.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2021, 12:48 PM
    Of course. As always, I'm bad; you're good.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2021, 01:03 PM
    Nothing's been said about being bad or good. It's just that you cannot respond to points that are made. The college dropout rate is not 50%, and I know you are disappointed about that, but it's simply the way it is. But as I said 10 posts back, I completely agree with you that the dropout rate in our colleges is too high. There are many things wrong with our universities, excessive cost being one of them. It puts higher ed out of reach of low income people, and means that far too many young people graduate with a load of debt around their necks. So we are basically in agreement. OK??
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2021, 01:10 PM
    So we are basically in agreement. OK??
    Nope. Higher ed (college) is too often a crock -- and much too expensive for what is supposedly achieved. We need much more teaching for and learning of practical careers.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2021, 02:28 PM
    You said, "Higher ed (college) is too often a crock -- and much too expensive for what is supposedly achieved."

I said, " There are many things wrong with our universities, excessive cost being one of them. It puts higher ed out of reach of low income people, and means that far too many young people graduate with a load of debt around their necks."

So in what way are we not in agreement? Sure looks like agreement to me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2021, 02:42 PM
    You said, "Higher ed (college) is too often a crock..."
    Do you know what I meant by that?
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2021, 02:44 PM
    Perhaps not. Expand on that.

But we do agree that the cost is too high. Correct???
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 13, 2021, 02:46 PM
    Perhaps not. Expand on that.
    What did you learn in college that helped you throughout your career?
    But we do agree that the cost is too high. Correct???
    Yes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

How do I override or clear the "leave" and "return" functions on my thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a Honeywell TRH7500 programmable thermostat. The installation went smoothly, but I cannot figure our how to override/clear the "leave/return" schedules. The thermostat comes with 4 daily program settings: wake, leave, return, sleep. I only want to use wake and sleep but I...

View more questions Search