Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2021, 08:24 AM
    Censorship alive and well in Australia??
    Someone named Martin Iles, head of the Australian Christian Lobby, has been denied permission to speak in several venues in Western Australia. Why? Well, turns out the official position of the Perth Theater Group is this. "If the keynote speaker holds views that seek to create or increase animosity toward a particular group or where the content does not represent the views of the West Australian government," then they will deny use of the venue. Now the first part is silly. The policy itself, when employed, creates animosity towards the group being denied, so that makes no sense. Even worse, when the speaker cannot present material which does not agree with the government, that is chilling. It's something we would expect to see in China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnNPSVmVifc
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2021, 01:27 PM
    Stuff like this is why I compile the 'Black List' .
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2021, 01:40 PM
    the content does not represent the views of the West Australian government
    That's really startling. I didn't expect to see that out of Australia.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2021, 01:53 PM
    I see this throughout wester democracies . The trend worldwide is away from liberty .
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2021, 03:20 PM
    Certainly seems to be the case.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2021, 04:23 PM
    Yes and if you are an activist from outside of Australia we will deport you if you rabble rouse.

How ever it does pay to check the facts

Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2021, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I see this throughout wester democracies . The trend worldwide is away from liberty .
    there is a difference between liberty and rabble rousing, conspiracy theories and such like. You do know that here we have a great aversion to the dlckheads are always right theory unlike yourselves who allow dlckheads to roam free and f##kup the lives of others because it is liberty, you know, and they have the right to express themselves and shoot their guns where they may, and proclaim their rites

I have said for a long time that if half the population have less than average intelligence that half must live somewhere, but stop protecting them. Daily rant over, time to do more productive things
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2021, 07:06 PM
    Yep. How dare they disagree with the government!! They’ll be kicked out of the Sheeple group!!
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2021, 08:11 PM
    you see, you are of the opinion the government is always wrong, except when it is a conservative administration, but we are of the opinion the fairness must be our primary pursuit and so conspiracy theorists should not be allowed to roam free lest they influence that lower level intelligence group, they exist here too

we have our fair share of indigenous rights activists, their theory is every tree and rock is sacred and that the land they lost is theirs. we have our share of antivaxxers who think vaccination is a conspiracy to microchip the population, we have our share of sub humans who think the right to earn a living supercedes the right of others to live a disease free life

but I wonder what you think of your hero Bezos who rode in to space on the backs of that nonexistant slave labour

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...8ede0377f93173

is this another conspiracy theory?
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2021, 04:15 AM
    you see, you are of the opinion the government is always wrong, except when it is a conservative administration, but we are of the opinion the fairness must be our primary pursuit and so conspiracy theorists should not be allowed to roam free lest they influence that lower level intelligence group, they exist here too.
    I'm of the opinion that the government is always the government and has no business in telling people what to think or say. Your condescending concern for the "lower level intelligence group" is alarming. As is always the case, I'm sure you do not consider yourself to be in that group. At any rate, the point is that the government has no business telling people what to think or say unless you want to copy the ChiCom model.

Bezos is no hero of mine.

Your slave labor comments ring hollow so long as the Aussies trail far behind the U.S. in average wages.
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2021, 05:38 AM
    but I wonder what you think of your hero Bezos who rode in to space on the backs of that nonexistant slave labour
    There is almost no one in corporate America I despise more than Bezos .But what evidence do you have that his business has relied on slave labor ? He is owner of Amazon ,the Washington Compost ,and Blue Origin .

As to his flight and Branson's flight . I don't care how he or other billionaires spends their money . I do care about the future of space ;especially commercial space . I think his and Branson's flights ;and Elon Musk's efforts(Mars Oasis project, and then SpaceX, have goal of reducing the cost of space travel ) advances the opportunities of commercial space .The more the merrier .

The rich are typically the ones that can afford new innovation. Eventually what the rich can only afford becomes available to the general public.

The billionaires space race has spurred interest in commercial space as never before . And unlike the space race with the Soviets in the 1960s ,it will last longer than when the 1st person stepped on the moon.

Companies in emerging industries often build on each other's successes . So if investors invested $4.5 billion in space as they did last quarter ;and successive similar flights spurs further investment by oh let's say airline companies then it can only lead to more opportunity .

Space Capital Q2 report shows record $4.5 billion invested (cnbc.com)
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2021, 05:40 AM
    You trail behind us in minimum wages and until you redress that statistic I will continue to speak of slave labour. Your capitalist utopia has a quantum of high earners and they distort the statistics you quote because it is easy to lie with statistics. You know the saying i presume, lies, DAMN LIES and STATISTICS!
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2021, 05:48 AM
    Minimum wage is anti-worker . That is just the fact .It kills jobs . The technology is here for the replacement of low skill workers . The pace that business adopts it will depend on the outcome of the minimum wage debate . Customers will always go for lower prices . So raising prices to compensate for higher payrolls doesn't really work. Businesses facing that prospect will resort to replacing the low skilled worker with technology and other productivity increasing measures .
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2021, 05:58 AM
    You trail behind us in minimum wages and until you redress that statistic I will continue to speak of slave labour.
    Fewer than 2% of American workers earn minimum wage and many of them are teenagers working part time jobs. Learn a little before you post. Tom is exactly right about minimum wages. It kills jobs. The real key to wage growth is for a man or woman to make him/herself more valuable as an employee. Welders, pipe fitters, chefs, policemen, bank tellers, truck drivers, and hundreds of other types of jobs don't worry about minimum wages. They don't need to.

Your capitalist utopia has a quantum of high earners and they distort the statistics you quote because it is easy to lie with statistics. You know the saying i presume, lies, DAMN LIES and STATISTICS!
    Always the plea of those on the losing end of stats. That's why I selected something common to both countries which was teachers. Our teachers are paid more than yours and our workers are paid more than yours. End of story. That's not a knock against Australia. I like your country, but you can't compare a small, isolated country with no real international responsibilities with the United States. Apples and oranges.
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2021, 09:57 AM
    when we hired janitor staff in New Jersey no one would touch a starting salary of $15 /hr . Here in SC almost all retail operations have help wanted signs . None are paying the minimum wage ;and many have hiring bonuses . The market does a good job assessing the value .(teachers being the exception ....they are clearly under paid as a rule )
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2021, 10:42 AM
    Every fast food place in our area is starting people off at ten an hour.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2021, 02:41 PM
    The market does a good job assessing the value .(teachers being the exception ....they are clearly under paid as a rule )
    Why does the market fail in assessing the value of teachers?
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2021, 03:38 PM
    I don't think it has at all.
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2021, 04:17 PM
    There is almost no one in corporate America I despise more than Bezos .But what evidence do you have that his business has relied on slave labor ? He is owner of Amazon ,the Washington Compost ,and Blue Origin .

read the article I posted earlier
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2021, 04:40 PM
    Why does the market fail in assessing the value of teachers?
    got me Schools are funded enough . Best guess is that administrators are getting too big a cut of the pie . Also teaching tougher hard to staff subjects should earn higher pay .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I handle censorship of school volunteer opinions? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello. 1st time here... I was very active in our small school PTA fundraising for past few years. Have gotten less so as my kids are older. I was never an officer, just a very active member. I am still active, just bit less so. There is a new group of women in charge of our PTA now and they...

Do you consider the censorship of a literary classic acceptable ? [ 129 Answers ]

Well do you? BBC News - Furore over 'censored' edition of Huckleberry Finn All this PCness never ceases to amaze me.. This preceded the Huck Fib story: BBC News - Why are parents banning school books?

Forbidden URL message is it censorship? [ 6 Answers ]

When I tried to bring up http://www.cableterminator.com/ I got an error message. Forbidden URL Is this censorship possibly? Can anyone else bring up that addrress? The reason I think it may be censor shiip is that my internet provider is the cable company and I am looking for a TV...

View more questions Search